Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Kidcat

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Kidcat » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:19 pm

I think Ron is ready to pack it in.He is 77 years old with health problems.IHe must be getting tired hustling for sponsors.He makes no or little money from the show.I would guess the show has less than 50 listeners.Before he leaves I would like to see the perfect storm.No guests.Cowboy, Kurt ,and Mr.Positive do not call in.Covid cancels all,sporting events so Ron cannot give scores or play by play.Martin is promoted to producer so Ron cannot talk with someone who,knows sports to kill,time.Finally the buzzboard has technical problems and is off line.The result would be Ron reading ads for 3 hours to an audience of zero.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:43 pm

Kidcat wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:19 pm
I think Ron is ready to pack it in.He is 77 years old with health problems.IHe must be getting tired hustling for sponsors.He makes no or little money from the show.I would guess the show has less than 50 listeners.Before he leaves I would like to see the perfect storm.No guests.Cowboy, Kurt ,and Mr.Positive do not call in.Covid cancels all,sporting events so Ron cannot give scores or play by play.Martin is promoted to producer so Ron cannot talk with someone who,knows sports to kill,time.Finally the buzzboard has technical problems and is off line.The result would be Ron reading ads for 3 hours to an audience of zero.
I do wonder as well. Drives each Sunday night to a radio station that other then ads he doesn’t get paid for if all I read is right. I don’t know enough about the radio business to know. I must admit since I started listening on wpon during the pandemic I have been listening and enjoy the conversations via the board

Don’t know from his past employment and business endeavors if things worked out well

I give him credit in that way to keep doing something he must enjoy with all the drawbacks of it all

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:31 pm

Kidcat wrote:
On 97.1 today, a caller was joking with Valenti about how he will be 75 and still on the radio talking about Stafford. Mike joked back and said he wouldn’t dare still be on the radio at 75. All I thought of was Mr. Cameron is still hustling out there past 75.

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:06 am

Channeling Cowboy, I want to wish the (not so lovable) old lug a happy 77th birthday (and for the sake of his "fans' who can't get enough of his unique style, many more to come)!
Kidcat wrote:
Ron's career obituary has been prematurely written many times. I suspect he'll keep at it as long as he's able (& needs a roof over his head & food in his prodigious belly).

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:47 am

Is there a radio program in metro Detroit that this "Mr. Positive" Greg guy doesn't call? This guy must have a lot of time on his hands. I've heard him on home improvement shows to sports and EVERYTHING in between.

Frankly, I dislike his schtick. When he calls in, I hit the button. WARRRRRIORS.... :barf

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:15 pm

Mr.Positive has become the most entertaining personality in Detroit radio.It is only a matter of time before he gets his own show.In fact I could see him doing mornings on a rock station,and afternoons on a sports station.

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:37 pm

Kidcat wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:15 pm
Mr.Positive has become the most entertaining personality in Detroit radio.It is only a matter of time before he gets his own show.In fact I could see him doing mornings on a rock station,and afternoons on a sports station.
And a Sunday morning revival show.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:59 am

radiofan1974 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:43 pm

I give him credit in that way to keep doing something he must enjoy with all the drawbacks of it all
That's a fair way to put it. He has a unique blend of enthusiasm and persistence that keeps both him and many listeners coming back.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:03 am

Momo wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:06 am
Channeling Cowboy, I want to wish the (not so lovable) old lug a happy 77th birthday (and for the sake of his "fans' who can't get enough of his unique style, many more to come)!
Kidcat wrote:
Ron's career obituary has been prematurely written many times. I suspect he'll keep at it as long as he's able (& needs a roof over his head & food in his prodigious belly).
Whenever Ron's working while obviously sick, he always says, "The show must go on." That's a good summary of his career.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:05 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:03 am
Momo wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:06 am
Kidcat wrote:
Whenever Ron's working while obviously sick, he always says, "The show must go on." That's a good summary of his career.
A couple of good song's that describe Ron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQzdAsjWGPg "My Way"- Frank Sinatra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvlTJrNJ5lA "I wont't back down"- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Majik

Post by Majik » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:33 pm

A couple of good song's that describe Ron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQzdAsjWGPg "My Way"- Frank Sinatra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvlTJrNJ5lA "I wont't back down"- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
[/quote]

Add to the Ron playlist: What Kind Of Fool Am I by Robert Goulet

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:48 am

Another addition to Ron's Hit Parade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTpvirQ-hPA

And another, representing his never-changing worldview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ7WT02wFOk

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:12 am

Some good choices on this parade of hits. If there are more to add from anyone on the buzzboard perhaps Ron could put together his array of hits from the buzzboard on a 3rd hour special when he has no guests. I believe it would be more entertaining than hearing his play by play or repeating the phone number to call in. I guess I've pretty much given up any hopes that pre show prep takes place, carrying around the Sunday sports page just doesn't cut it.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:04 pm

A Day in the Life of Ron Cameron, as symbolized by Billy of the Family Circus cartoon:

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:52 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:04 pm
A Day in the Life of Ron Cameron, as symbolized by Billy of the Family Circus cartoon:

Probably not to far off, I often wonder with the ads he must have to sell if during the week he jut runs across towns, his ads seem to cover different areas

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic