Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Majik

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Majik » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:18 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:01 pm
I was browsing the Detroit Free Press archives on Newspapers.com and found an ad that made me laugh out loud. Just imagine, partying with Ron Cameron and Sonny Eliot on a Caribbean cruise.

Ron was at the peak of his powers then, with a daily radio show, TV show with Bob Page, and the Sports Fans Journal magazine.
What, no restaurant?

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:54 am

Momo wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:03 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:26 pm
He was in the middle of his long 1980s stretch with WCAR. He started hustling ads after he got fired by WXYZ in 1981.
Which work - if non-brokered - puts a lie to his claim that, by choice, he never worked for anyone after his WXYZ firing.
I might have given the wrong impression. Here's an article from the Detroit Free Press on 1/24/83:

Sports radio personality Ron Cameron, known to his listeners as "The Superfan," is back on the air today after a two-year respite. Cameron, who is often more enthusiastic than the coaches and professional players he discusses, will broadcast his show live from a lounge called the Sports Fans Pub on Gratiot and Waltham Monday through Friday from 4 to 5 p.m. on WCAR-AM. Cameron bought the air time and will sell his own advertising. The irrepressible Ron, whose show used to air on WXYZ-AM, said he will let the bar patrons question sports figures and express their opinions right from the lounge. He won't accept phone-in comments. We'd suggest he add a metal detector at the door as well, at least for the hockey fans.

There was also a three-week stint at WQBH in the summer of 1982 that involved broadcasting from a bar at 6 a.m. in the morning and ended with a (surprise surprise) big argument with technicians and management. I'm not sure if he bought his own air time then, but from the chaotic, patchwork nature of the situation, I'm guessing that he did.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:57 am

Majik wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:18 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:01 pm
I was browsing the Detroit Free Press archives on Newspapers.com and found an ad that made me laugh out loud. Just imagine, partying with Ron Cameron and Sonny Eliot on a Caribbean cruise.

Ron was at the peak of his powers then, with a daily radio show, TV show with Bob Page, and the Sports Fans Journal magazine.
What, no restaurant?
That's a good question. I know he had a bar in late 1984, where I spent a memorable two hours on New Year's Eve. The late 80s might have been the time when he had a Coney Island on Telegraph in Dearborn Heights, but I'm not sure.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:08 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:54 am
Momo wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:03 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:26 pm
He was in the middle of his long 1980s stretch with WCAR. He started hustling ads after he got fired by WXYZ in 1981.
Which work - if non-brokered - puts a lie to his claim that, by choice, he never worked for anyone after his WXYZ firing.
I might have given the wrong impression.

Reviewing a prior post, one that referenced a 1/26/90 article by Neal Rubin, it was noted that after Ron's WXYZ termination, he was also fired years later from WKSG (102.7) for using the phrase "Chinaman's chance." So, despite what he has said, Ron has worked for "the man" after leaving WXYZ.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:45 pm

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:08 pm
This 3rd hour has been great radio. Ron certainly has done a tremendous job prepping for the show today.
After listening to that third hour via podcast, it’s amazing how Ron would berate the producer when he’d lob questions at Ron, attempting to move this three-hour slog to the finish line. The producer is trying his best to fill some dead-ass air, by almost acting as a co-host (we all know no one is supposed to “come in on Ron”), and Ron’s using it to try and make this guy feel like he is some ill-informed imbecile, compared to the all-knowing Scoop!

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:13 am

Special announcement from the DuMont Television Network:

The premiere episode (“Ron gets a can opener”) of “Alcoa Presents: That darn Ron!” debuts this fall on another exciting season on the DuMont Television Network. Here, we follow the exploits of our lead character, the dynamic Ron Cameron playing himself as the beleaguered sports talk show radio host, who tries in vain to rise above his handful of nothing but shut-ins & low information callers, along with an ever-rotating assortment of comically inept producers. At home, living in a run-down motel, Ron is surrounded by a motley crew of endearing hobos, derelicts, dope dealers, ladies of the evening and winos (introducing Hal Smith as "Otis Campbell"). And featuring his special co-star, the Academy Award®-winning Miss Shirley Booth, as Hazel the lovable, but meddling, maid, who endearingly calls her boss, “Mr. C.”

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:06 am

It’s Sunday, you know what that means! As the temperature starts to drop here in Michigan, nothing gets you more in the fall mood then ending a weekend and listening to some Sunday night sports talk with Ron C

So what are the chances that R-sizzle has the contacts and leyland is on the air tonight. If he is those leyland responses to those deep sports questions could be epic

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:46 pm

If Ron was able to make contact with Leyland this week & if he committed to being on the show tonight - two big ifs - I’m expecting Leyland to appear, as he has yet to stiff Ron. But he’ll really screw Ron if he’s on the first hour. Ron won’t be able to adequately “promote” his appearance to gin up the size & interest of his audience. And he won’t be able to eat up air time letting the “fans” know to expect Leyland in either the 2nd or 3rd hour. For Ron’s sake, though, it better be before the last hour, because his energy will be depleted by then. If Leyland is on, emailer Dan needs to get his email “ready” asking him what his greatest thrill was as both a player & manager.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:39 pm

Momo wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:46 pm
If Ron was able to make contact with Leyland this week & if he committed to being on the show tonight - two big ifs - I’m expecting Leyland to appear, as he has yet to stiff Ron. But he’ll really screw Ron if he’s on the first hour. Ron won’t be able to adequately “promote” his appearance to gin up the size & interest of his audience. And he won’t be able to eat up air time letting the “fans” know to expect Leyland in either the 2nd or 3rd hour. For Ron’s sake, though, it better be before the last hour, because his energy will be depleted by then. If Leyland is on, emailer Dan needs to get his email “ready” asking him what his greatest thrill was as both a player & manager.
I agree that third hour has become quite the train wreck. And what ever you do Mr Producer, under no circumstances do you ask questions about sports!!!!

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:39 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:06 am
It’s Sunday, you know what that means! As the temperature starts to drop here in Michigan, nothing gets you more in the fall mood then ending a weekend and listening to some Sunday night sports talk with Ron C

So what are the chances that R-sizzle has the contacts and leyland is on the air tonight. If he is those leyland responses to those deep sports questions could be epic
I don't see Leyland stiffing Ron. I recall Ron having him on maybe a few years ago. Leyland is old school, going back to Tigers farm system in the late 70's back in Ron's heyday. If Ron is smart he stays away from the stories about him cause Leyland won't put up with that crap. Leyland lives in the Pittsburgh area but he was in town Friday night for the Miggy celebration.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:09 pm

Ray Scott back next week

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:14 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:09 pm
Ray Scott back next week
Yeah, looking forward to that. And to get his 'thoughts on the NBA draft' - even though he's already been on since then.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:16 pm

Oops sponsor calling and Ron does not recognize the person

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:17 pm

Kidcat has fallen off the wagon.For the past 2 weeks I have refrained from listening to the Ron Cameron show.
.Like a hopeless drug addict I have given in to the demon known as Ron Cameron
I fear there is no hope for me.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:17 pm

1st question if you were not a real estate agent, what would you be

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic