Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Momo

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Momo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:48 pm

Ron brings up his guest’s podcast by saying that he knows Hartman wants him on it. Earlier, when Hartman was disconnected before his sponsor Keith from Oak Park could speak to him, Martin encouraged Ron to speak to Keith in the interim. No, Ron said, he’s talked to Keith enough. When Martin again told him what to do, Ron, predictably, blew up at him for telling him how to run his show.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:56 pm

I'll have to check his podcast out, good stories, and yes he's about the only one I can think of under 60 for his guests. I think Lance Parrish is over 60? I'll tell you what tho, I think it's just a matter of time before Martin walks...... he seems to do a lot of things behind the scenes to help the show along and at some point he's going to realize Ron is just not very appreciative.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:57 pm

I noticed Kurt didn't care to call since it was non-baseball related

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:00 pm

Ron asked if Hartman’s dad remembered him. Of course he’d ask him that.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:15 pm

I thought I heard Ron tell Martin he wouldn't be on the station anymore after he gets the restaurant? I like how he is so committed to this Pizzeria/Deli concept. This could be Mcdonald's worst nightmare.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:53 pm

wtfdetroit wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:46 pm
I agree. Mike Hartman is one of Ron's best guests. This might be Ron's only guest under 60.
I liked that scintillating repartee at the beginning, when Ron wrongly guessed Hartman's draft year, and made him seem about 10 years older.

Hartman: I didn't play with Bobby Orr.
Ron: You mean you didn't play with Rocket Richard?
Hartman: No, and I didn't play with a leather helmet.

I missed the rest of it when the thunderstorm knocked my Internet out.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:20 pm

With Chadwick Boseman’s sports connection - playing Jackie Robinson in 42 - I hope someone (maybe Mr. Positive?) brings up his passing. You just know that Ron would immediately turn that into an opportunity to talk about himself, how he had Max Gail, who was also in 42, as a guest promoting the movie. Maybe that would lead to talk of Max’s sister, Emily, who used to call in occasionally when Ron was on WDTK.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:12 pm

Ron is in a bad mood today, I can see a fight happening

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:04 am

Well that was some show Saturday! The fireworks started with Martin calling Ron a “dreamer” when it came to his restaurant ambitions & then Ron telling him to “shut up.” That was nothing compared to the exchange they had about Aubrey Huff’s positive comments about Rittenhouse, the 17-year old vigilante in Kenosha, which Ron labelled as “racist.” Then Ron yelling at Martin to leave & Martin saying he couldn’t, it was his job to work the boards. Oh, and Ron calling him an “asshole,” which he quickly realized he shouldn’t have said. I thought Martin was going to make Ron answer the phone himself. The irony of this was that the two people Rittenhouse killed were both white. What a show. And what a time for this Board to go down.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:03 am

Momo wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:04 am
Well that was some show Saturday! The fireworks started with Martin calling Ron a “dreamer” when it came to his restaurant ambitions & then Ron telling him to “shut up.” That was nothing compared to the exchange they had about Aubrey Huff’s positive comments about Rittenhouse, the 17-year old vigilante in Kenosha, which Ron labelled as “racist.” Then Ron yelling at Martin to leave & Martin saying he couldn’t, it was his job to work the boards. Oh, and Ron calling him an “asshole,” which he quickly realized he shouldn’t have said. I thought Martin was going to make Ron answer the phone himself. The irony of this was that the two people Rittenhouse killed were both white. What a show. And what a time for this Board to go down.
I tuned in just in time to hear the beginning of the Huff "discussion." Martin gets some blame for the humorous and loud way he quoted the e-mail in support of Huff, who did make a controversial comment. But Ron crossed the line with the name-calling and some other things. My impression is that Martin is a WPON employee, so I'm sure a management discussion will follow what happened Saturday, for the way Ron treated him. Ron needs a firm policy about all producer comments, not just those that offend him.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:25 pm

I called it! Ron was very combative with Kurt and Kurt kind of backed off as to not get hung up on like last week. Then the Huff email got the ball rolling which resulted in Ron calling Martin an asshole. Martin is right, Ron is a dreamer. I can tell Martin can only take so much and the frustration boils over. We are all sitting at home and in disbelief that a 75 year old man keeps talking about buying a restaurant to relax and that was last year before this whole pandemic mess. If Martin has a choice, he should walk out on him but I think you're right Bob, Martin works for WPON and has no choice but management needs to step in because this is abuse.
I think Ron is bipolar. He just turned into a lunatic yesterday as soon as the email was read. What is Ron going on about how busy he is? He wakes up at 6 am everyday and is seeing restaurants, in meetings all day? Meetings with who?? Why does he keep on talking about politics but starts off with telling us he's not talking politics? I don't want to hear if you like or hate Trump. I'm trying to get away from all this political nonsense sweeping the country.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:16 pm

Wtf yeppers, I think everyone who posts here saw the fuse lit, saw something coming and you can usually tell by how Ron is acting once he comes on the air whether this will be "the time". I agree that Martin threw some gasoline on the fire knowing he's in for a fight but Ron never ever should have called Martin an Asshole on the air. I am very surprised that WPON mgmt (Sima Birach) has not been made aware of the hostilities that arise during the show, unless these guys don't even bother monitoring/listening to what goes on. Ron is treading on thin ice and he would be an FCC nightmare for the station when he
finally crosses the line. I completely thought it was hilarious when our own Mr, Positive was the next caller after the eruption took place and he went on as if nothing happened during his comments. This coming from a guy nicknamed Mr. Positive you think he might have some words of comfort for Ron to diffuse the situation but I am convinced Mr. Positive is nothing but a used car salesman. Ron is completely in dreamland thinking he's going to open a restaurant in the midst of a pandemic during all these govt. shutdowns and with his history of closing them shortly after he opens it, being 75 years old, I think Martin is trying to do him a favor but it came across a little vindictive anyways..........

So is Ron even on the air this Friday? Is Ron on by himself? Are they on together? Will Ron be told to not return? Was this the last broadcast? Inquiring minds want to know. If I were running the station I would tell Ron to hit road. If all returns as if nothing happened I think this is a reflection on the Sima and how clueless the mgmt is there.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:40 pm

I think Ron and Martin are back on Friday like nothing happened because that station only cares if Ron's check clears. Ron could have been successful in life but he always trips over his own shoes by fighting with everyone and doing it "his" way. He can't evolve past living in motel rooms and visiting restaurants and having no shame in trying to con his way into a free meal and a small check to read the advertisement on the air. It's totally unheard of for a 75 year old to be opening a restaurant but here we are, Ron the oligarch, where restaurants are going out of business at a high rate, is opening up his "Pizzeria/Deli" concept. As I quote Ron "I'm going to open up a restaurant so I can relax" said nobody ever.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:43 pm

wtfdetroit wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:40 pm
As I quote Ron "I'm going to open up a restaurant so I can relax" said nobody ever.
Haha. Ron has been hyping his next restaurant for at least a couple of years. With each show, he continuously promises an "announcement" on a restaurant, always in the next week or two, with his tens of devoted, low information listeners hanging on his every word. Nothing's ever materialized. And much of that time was well before Covid made opening a restaurant a (complete) fool's errand. As I've noted before, I'll believe it when I see it. To me, this is just a means for Ron to talk about himself & fill-up some airtime. He's wont to engage in flights of fancy for such purposes.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:41 am

Interestingly, Ron was able to completely calm down after the flare-up, which showed some professionalism and experience. And later in the show, Kurt and some other guy called in with some good Memory Lane stories that are a strength of the show.

But this show does feel like a significant turning point. You get the feeling that the contentiousness that Ron can show on the air is only the tip of the iceberg compared to his off-air personality, and the Detroit radio industry might say, enough is enough, who needs all the drama, it's time for you to pursue your restaurant fantasies full-time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic