Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What happened to the WRIF rock bimbo?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

What happened to the WRIF rock bimbo?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:41 am

A really stupid promotion that belongs in 1993 is the "WRIF Rock Girl."

Nonetheless, the station has held true to this gimmick each & every year and generally promotes it heavily on the air.

About a month to 45 days ago, I noticed the deep voiced and ultra boring Jade Springhart began reading the daily Rock News report and that the current year's Rock Girl vanished from the air without explanation. (No big loss, frankly).

I guess I'm curious as to what the back story is.

Too bad Jade won't do the same vanishing act; she is HORRIBLE. Does nothing but read boring liner notes in a manner that is as interesting as watching paint dry. Someone with such a weak skill set on air would've never been worthy of doing anything more than weekend overnights years ago on that legendary station.

lidoshuffle

Re: What happened to the WRIF rock bimbo?

Post by lidoshuffle » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:49 am

WRIF was fun when JJ & The Morning Crew (George Baier doing the voices) , Karen Savelly, Steve "The Kid" Kostan, Mark Addy, Nick Demos, when Drew & Mike ruled mornings, and of course Arthur Penthallow, on summer days blowing the foghorn telling you to roll over while tanning and yelling "Baby"!! Free Hart Plaza concerts, seeing the WRIF Van all over town giving away free stuff...WRIF Softball playing the Red Wings and a few bands when they came to town. Yea I'm older now and "Get Of My Lawn"...(Dave and Chuck The F*ck SUCK!!)...

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:37 am

I never liked the promo. So many qualified people that could have used that job even just to "get in the building" and honed their skills, worked their way up, so many broadcasters on the beach. And yet if you have a nice set of tits and speak with the "breathless pussy" delivery, you can get on-the-air at a legendary rock station. You might say "but it's only once an hour, reading 5 line music stories". Well, for a long time, you also got that "weekend overnight" shift on the Riff. Meanwhile, legitimate radio folks couldn't even get a call back.

You are entitled to your opinion about Jade, but I'll say this much: she IS one of those people that put in the time and the work. Say what you will about her "delivery" (frankly, to me, better her than some taped jock from Dallas or San Jose), but I remember when she was handing out stickers and keychains and bar events. She busted her ass to accomplish what she has and I couldn't be prouder of her. She got her break when WRIF was trying to "youthen its sound" by blowing out Podell and Penhallow along with the Seger and Squier. I wish her all the best.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:17 am

In fairness, I imagine that had Podell gotten his way and got me at Riff instead of CSX, you'd probably have the same complaint about me ;)

-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:29 pm

I'm sorry, but after many years, her on-air skills have not improved one bit.

Sounds like she got her break because the station was looking to prune payroll. Another weekend jock - some dude with a weird name (Jonell?) - is a stronger on-air talent than she is.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:13 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:37 am
I never liked the promo. So many qualified people that could have used that job even just to "get in the building" and honed their skills, worked their way up, so many broadcasters on the beach. And yet if you have a nice set of tits and speak with the "breathless pussy" delivery, you can get on-the-air at a legendary rock station. You might say "but it's only once an hour, reading 5 line music stories". Well, for a long time, you also got that "weekend overnight" shift on the Riff. Meanwhile, legitimate radio folks couldn't even get a call back.

You are entitled to your opinion about Jade, but I'll say this much: she IS one of those people that put in the time and the work. Say what you will about her "delivery" (frankly, to me, better her than some taped jock from Dallas or San Jose), but I remember when she was handing out stickers and keychains and bar events. She busted her ass to accomplish what she has and I couldn't be prouder of her. She got her break when WRIF was trying to "youthen its sound" by blowing out Podell and Penhallow along with the Seger and Squier. I wish her all the best.
Aww, that's nice Jade's dad chimed in here on his daughter....

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:57 pm

It's hard to be insulted by someone that has a shitty Boz Skaggs song as his screen name. Keep up the good work, gumshoe. Die in a fire while you're at it.

-TurkeyTop

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:33 pm

The rock girl did occasionally get a real DJ gig, usually weekend overnight, you know when those positions existed.

Another vote for Jade being just terrible. She must hate her job.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:34 pm

I have never heard Jade on air, but a found a short you-tube video and thought her voice was ok.

With some you MUST throw away the liner cards, they sound like they are reading them, which they are...

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:23 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:57 pm
It's hard to be insulted by someone that has a shitty Boz Skaggs song as his screen name. Keep up the good work, gumshoe. Die in a fire while you're at it.
:rollin have a sense of humor skippy, and all my best to "Jade"...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:03 am

With some you MUST throw away the liner cards, they sound like they are reading them, which they are...
Bingo. Her delivery is so boring!

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:44 am

lidoshuffle wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:49 am
WRIF was fun when JJ & The Morning Crew (George Baier doing the voices) , Karen Savelly, Steve "The Kid" Kostan, Mark Addy, Nick Demos, when Drew & Mike ruled mornings, and of course Arthur Penthallow, on summer days blowing the foghorn telling you to roll over while tanning and yelling "Baby"!! Free Hart Plaza concerts, seeing the WRIF Van all over town giving away free stuff...WRIF Softball playing the Red Wings and a few bands when they came to town. Yea I'm older now and "Get Of My Lawn"...(Dave and Chuck The F*ck SUCK!!)...
And of course the D.R.E.A.D. card you could use at record stores. Yeah I'm also old AF.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:59 pm

I used to have a "sense of humor" about such things, but after 2 screen names and over a decade on this board, the whole "oh look, 3G is here!" "It's Jay Towers' mom!" schtick when you say something nice about someone just got old. Besides, when you go from front desk work to music director at the same major market station without leaving, that's pretty damn good. Just being complementary, that's all.

-TurkeyTop

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:52 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:59 pm
I used to have a "sense of humor" about such things, but after 2 screen names and over a decade on this board, the whole "oh look, 3G is here!" "It's Jay Towers' mom!" schtick when you say something nice about someone just got old. Besides, when you go from front desk work to music director at the same major market station without leaving, that's pretty damn good. Just being complementary, that's all.
Gregg Henson?? Woa...still alive after all these years...

Gertner

Post by Gertner » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:31 pm

Jade is a female?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic