Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

ML out at FOX2

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
macgoldfan

ML out at FOX2

Post by macgoldfan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:08 am

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/people/re ... aves-fox-2

Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter M.L. Elrick has left Fox 2 Detroit, according to a report by local news site Deadline Detroit.

The investigative reporter was with the station for more than seven years. Elrick went to the city's Fox affiliate from the Detroit Free Press, where he shared the 2009 Pulitzer Prize for his coverage of the scandal involving then-Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. The 1990 Michigan State University journalism graduate also won two local Emmys for work at WDIV-Channel 4.

Deadline obtained an internal message to other staff members from Elrick, whose last day on the job was Tuesday, according to the report. An excerpt from the message reads:

"... this is my last day at Fox 2. I had hoped to have a private word with many of you before today, but I've been trying to run through the tape doing stories and tying up loose ends and so I failed miserably at catching up with many of you who mean so much to me. I'm sorry about that, but I'm also very bad with good byes, so it's probably for the best."

He did not comment on any future plans.

Elrick recently had his podcast "ML's Soul of Detroit" suspended, as reported by Deadline and announced by Elrick on Facebook.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: ML out at FOX2

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:09 pm

Here's a much more informative article from Deadline Detroit:

https://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/23 ... plus_years

My take:
It's pretty obvious Fox 2 doesn't give a rat's ass about investigative reporting anymore. If you don't hyperventilate when you speak (Huel Perkins, Charlie Langton), take interest in "fluff" stories, or have a gimmicky on-air persona, the station doesn't seem to have much interest in you as a journalist or broadcaster.

Fox 2 still puts out decent newscasts from time to time, but these days, the station very much has a boilerplate feel to it.

If it's true the station's new GM halted the podcast, then the new GM is a real piece of shit!

Unlike Fox 2, circle 7 seems to be devoting more resources to investigative reporting and feature reporting these days. Those are changes I certainly appreciate.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:22 am

Gut feel...

Look for ML to surface somewhere, somehow, at WJR.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:38 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:09 pm

My take:
It's pretty obvious Fox 2 doesn't give a rat's ass about investigative reporting anymore. If you don't hyperventilate when you speak (Huel Perkins, Charlie Langton), take interest in "fluff" stories, or have a gimmicky on-air persona, the station doesn't seem to have much interest in you as a journalist or broadcaster.

Fox 2 still puts out decent newscasts from time to time, but these days, the station very much has a boilerplate feel to it.

If it's true the station's new GM halted the podcast, then the new GM is a real piece of shit!

Unlike Fox 2, circle 7 seems to be devoting more resources to investigative reporting and feature reporting these days. Those are changes I certainly appreciate.
Here's my personal thought about Fox2 anymore:

They just don't want to send folks out to do stories, not just investigative reporting, but stories in general.
Unless it's a major event, like a plane fell on a house, rarely does Fox2 have more than one person out on the street.
More and more of Fox 2's content is video off a bird, and the script that came with it.
And Fox2 has a LOT more of that, compared to 4 and 7 in my opinion.

Maybe you can call it being lazy, maybe you can call it being cheap. I dunno.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:52 pm

Screw Fox 2 and their new head stooge!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic