Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WHNE STA

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Splouge

Re: WHNE STA

Post by Splouge » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:08 am

Thanks for your suggestions! 8) But there's still some things I could not find the answer to.

Horizontal dipole reflectors are 5% longer than the half wavelength (half wavelength in this case is 7.8 ft, with a reflector length of 8.2 ft). Would the folded dipole reflector length be 8.2 ft, or is it 1.05 times one of those dimensions on that calculator? Would the spacing still be .15 wavelength? And what about the director lengths? The director lengths are supposed to be shorter than the receiving element, but with the folded dipole, the 47.5% wavelength directors would be longer than the folded dipole.

Regarding the balun, one of those "pitchfork" twin leads should work, right?

As for the attic, even though I don't have metal roofing, there still isn't a window up there. Is height more important than a clear line of sight?

And a non design related question: Does anyone know where I can get a 60-66 MHz band pass filter?

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:41 am

With a metal roof, you want it outside. But generally both a clear line of sight and height will improve the signal. It improves the Fresnel Zone.

As for band pass filters, I don't really think that is necessary. Winegard and Channel Master and Jerrold used to sell tunable band reject filters, if you can figure out the source of interference. I would try things first before you do unnecessary things. You might try mounting it at the top of a camera or telescope tripod to experiment. A set of rabbit ears might help in early experimentation.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:32 pm

I don't have metal roofing.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:32 pm

Also, my intention is to put the antenna on my patio, which is made entirely of wood and faces north. I never use my patio anyway. I'm going to attach the metal elements to some lumber and then attach the lumber to my patio railing. That way, I won't have a mast to ground.

The patio area is 10 ft x 10 ft, and the railing is 5 ft above the ground.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:14 pm

Splouge wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:08 am
Thanks for your suggestions! 8) But there's still some things I could not find the answer to.

Horizontal dipole reflectors are 5% longer than the half wavelength (half wavelength in this case is 7.8 ft, with a reflector length of 8.2 ft). Would the folded dipole reflector length be 8.2 ft, or is it 1.05 times one of those dimensions on that calculator? Would the spacing still be .15 wavelength? And what about the director lengths? The director lengths are supposed to be shorter than the receiving element, but with the folded dipole, the 47.5% wavelength directors would be longer than the folded dipole.

As for the attic, even though I don't have metal roofing, there still isn't a window up there. Is height more important than a clear line of sight?

And a non design related question: Does anyone know where I can get a 60-66 MHz band pass filter?
You won't need a bandpass filter, or, at least until the day another station close to you opens up for business on channel 2 of channel 4, that is significantly stronger than WHNE-LD.

Here, I have an attic antenna system that combines a long yagi for UHF with a folded dipole antenna, fabricated from twinlead, for channels 11, 13 and 40 (which is actually RF channel 5). Channels 11 & 13 (actually on their respective RF channels) work as a third harmonic antenna, not that performance matters as those stations are only ten miles distant.

The folded dipole looks just like the folded FM dipole that were packed with every stereo set back in the day, only longer.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:20 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:14 pm
Splouge wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:08 am

You won't need a bandpass filter, or, at least until the day another station close to you opens up for business on channel 2 or channel 4, that is significantly stronger than WHNE-LD.

Here, I have an attic antenna system that combines a long yagi for UHF with a folded dipole antenna, fabricated from twinlead, for channels 11, 13 and 40 (which is actually RF channel 5). Channels 11 & 13 (actually on their respective RF channels) work by using the dipole as a third harmonic antenna. Not that performance matters, as those stations are only ten miles distant.

The folded dipole looks just like the folded FM dipoles that were packed with every stereo set back in the day, only longer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic