Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

New Sports Radio station? About F'M time!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MR.AdioFan

New Sports Radio station? About F'M time!

Post by MR.AdioFan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:02 am

I think those who think a properly run FM sports station could not be successful in Detroit are sadly mistaken. The fact that 105.1 dropped the ball doesn't mean all others are doomed to fail. Sure, just like attendance at the stadiums, numbers go down when the local teams aren't performing well, but anybody who knows anything about Detroit as a sports town knows that there is no shortage of passion and dollars around here. Just look at the sellout record the palace had when the Pistons were rolling during the Going To Work days. I've been in sales over 20 years and I know that businesses would support and be excited about supporting a new vibrant sports radio alternative

Deleted User 14990

Re: New Sports Radio station? About F'M time!

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:39 am

Do Enlighten us.. Who and When?

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:05 am

As long as we dont have to hear Art Regner I would give it a shot.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:14 pm

97.1 ruined local sports radio. Just a bunch of meatheads calling in on "open lines" to discuss their favorite pizza in between delivering cases of Beer to party stores. Sports radio is dead and open lines killed it. If you want more structure, just listen to some national shows like I do. I don't need or want another open line radio station.

Ohio_Quebecois

Post by Ohio_Quebecois » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:53 pm

I stick with TSN690 in Montreal or Sportsnet590 Toronto. I can’t take much talk about basketball and football, plus it’s a much more interesting conversation than the frat party and anger on 97.1. I like to hear from People who were involved in professional sports, not Carl from Livonia who doesn’t know which end of a bat to hold but swears he has the answer for the Tigers bullpen.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:49 pm

Who would run it? iHeart doesn't have an FM to give up, Cumulus wants out of Detroit (otherwise 93.1 would be in consideration), and Beasley failed with 105.1.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:49 pm

wtfdetroit wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:14 pm
97.1 ruined local sports radio. Just a bunch of meatheads calling in on "open lines" to discuss their favorite pizza in between delivering cases of Beer to party stores. Sports radio is dead and open lines killed it. If you want more structure, just listen to some national shows like I do. I don't need or want another open line radio station.
"More structure"...as in what?? National Sports Talk is 95% NY sports, 5% Tom Brady....sports talk here in Detroit is not fun recently because all our professional, and major colleges, stink at their competition, "Structure"?? You mean callers calling in talking about...."Fantasy Football"..?? You want sunshine blue skies and lollipops sports talk, tune in to ESPN Women's sports talk, I'm fine with the local sports talking heads calling out how bad our teams are run, and performing...just my opinions...carry on....

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:47 pm

Unless they trade Wheelz in early but I dont see that happening. Unless... there would be a LMA with 107.5.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:15 am

As much as I hate Jim Rome hes got a line that sums up callers in general pretty well: "More of me and less of you is a good thing."
Personally, I think the whole "Lets get to the people." schtick is a crutch. Dont be lazy. Nobody cares who Bob from Eastpointe thinks the most underrated Lion is.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:02 am

Myron Falwell wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:49 pm
...and Beasley failed with 105.1.
That wasn't Beasley. That was entirely under Greater Media.

I rooted for 105.1 to work and they kept screwing it up and didn't do the obvieous.

The only way you're going to get another sports station to work is to get Valenti away from 97.1.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:21 pm

lidoshuffle wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:49 pm
wtfdetroit wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:14 pm
"More structure"...as in what?? National Sports Talk is 95% NY sports, 5% Tom Brady....sports talk here in Detroit is not fun recently because all our professional, and major colleges, stink at their competition, "Structure"?? You mean callers calling in talking about...."Fantasy Football"..?? You want sunshine blue skies and lollipops sports talk, tune in to ESPN Women's sports talk, I'm fine with the local sports talking heads calling out how bad our teams are run, and performing...just my opinions...carry on....
As in no more open line nonsense. The old WDFN had topics and segments and people called in regarding to that. Kevin Allen called in, they only talked hockey and accepted hockey calls, Tom Kowalski called in... only football talk. That is structure. This is what goes on local sports radio in Detroit (I haven't listened in a few years so chime in if it's changed)

Pat Caputo: The Lions are 2-1-1, do you guys think the Lions can make the playoffs, what is your favorite Coney Dog, Do you think GM and the UAW will agree on a new contract.

This is the worst radio out there. Throw out 30 topics and hear low iq people call in and sound like idiots. Not sure what you're going on about blue skies and lollipops. Your idea has been tried and it sucks. There are only so many morons out there and they all found their home, 97.1

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:09 pm

Some of you guys think a sports radio newcomer would miraculously feature compelling hosts and great content? Give me a friggin' break.

First of all, there is no one in the "minor leagues" in sports radio in Michigan who is any more talented than the folks already on the air at 97.1. There are no Mike Valenti-types awaiting a call-up. With the notable exception of Sean Baligian, sports radio in outstate Michigan is a complete wasteland.

Second, no one is going to leave a successful FM sports station in another large or major city to come to Detroit. Our winter weather sucks ass. Metro Detroit itself is not an incredibly appealing place to live.

Third, three of our four pro teams are total garbage. The Red Wings show some upside potential. I have no hope for the Lions (anyone buying into the notion the current season will somehow be transformational is a total buffoon), Tigers or Pistons.

The Tigers & Wings rights and perhaps some collegiate rights are up for grabs after 2020. In the current environment, I am hard pressed to see anyone bid aggressively to outmaneuver Entercom. Even if someone were to land those broadcast rights, the only way an upstart FM sports station would see ratings success would be to pry away one of WXYT's superstars - namely Mike Valenti or Mike Stone.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:50 pm

@ wtfdetroit....yea ok we get it, you're the smartest guy in the room, you claim you haven't listened for years yet here you are giving your expert analysis and opinions on 97.1 day to day format and operations, come on, admit it, you hate Valenti cause he dogs on Big Blue and you don't hear enough talk about...."Fantasy Football"...carry on....

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:10 am

I don't know if I'm an anomaly or more the norm but at my age (67) I no longer care about sports like I used to. If my teams are good I watch if they are bad I have other ways to fill my time. I don't need to listen to some guy who doesn't shut up tell me they are bad.

I no longer directly engage trolls

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:11 am

Detroit needs a new FM sports radio station so we have another one to complain about.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic