All accepted registrations through November 2 at 6:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

New Sports Radio station? About F'M time!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
wtfdetroit
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:04 pm

Re: New Sports Radio station? About F'M time!

Post by wtfdetroit » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:20 am

lidoshuffle wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:50 pm
@ wtfdetroit....yea ok we get it, you're the smartest guy in the room, you claim you haven't listened for years yet here you are giving your expert analysis and opinions on 97.1 day to day format and operations, come on, admit it, you hate Valenti cause he dogs on Big Blue and you don't hear enough talk about...."Fantasy Football"...carry on....
I don't listen to Valenti because he sounds like a stereotypical NY wannabe Italian tough guy and don't listen to 97.1 because I hate the open line idiot format. Why can't you figure that out?? I've repeated myself over and over. Now move on.



CurlyHoward
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:50 pm

Re: New Sports Radio station? About F'M time!

Post by CurlyHoward » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:42 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:09 pm
Some of you guys think a sports radio newcomer would miraculously feature compelling hosts and great content? Give me a friggin' break.

First of all, there is no one in the "minor leagues" in sports radio in Michigan who is any more talented than the folks already on the air at 97.1. There are no Mike Valenti-types awaiting a call-up. With the notable exception of Sean Baligian, sports radio in outstate Michigan is a complete wasteland.
(name removed by request)? He's done national duty and has a big following in GR for a long time.



CurlyHoward
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:50 pm

Re: New Sports Radio station? About F'M time!

Post by CurlyHoward » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:42 pm

just kidding lol



Daypart
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:43 am

Re: New Sports Radio station? About F'M time!

Post by Daypart » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:20 pm

Bill_Simonson?



JLesinski
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 11:43 pm

Re: New Sports Radio station? About F'M time!

Post by JLesinski » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:33 pm

I dont know if there is enough on-air talent in our area to support another sports station.
Jamie Samuelsen (sp?) and Valenti are the cream of the crop and can carry a show. The rest are simply competent at best and unlistenable at worst.

"Lets go to the people!" Um, I'd rather you didnt because they're even worse.



just interested
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: New Sports Radio station? About F'M time!

Post by just interested » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:35 pm

There will not be another sports radio talk station because there are not enough listeners to support it. Think about it. A good number of people in this area think Mike Valenti is the "cream of the crop". WTF? If "cream of the crop" is someone who throws out a condescending, know-it-all, constantly negative schtick and talks over and shuts down callers who submit a logical challenge to his claims, then the listener base just isn't there for more competition.



fuzzpower
Posts: 502
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Re: New Sports Radio station? About F'M time!

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:45 pm

Valenti is one of the reasons why I haven’t listened to 97.1 at all in a few years. I listen to WTKA for Tigers games.



JLesinski
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 11:43 pm

Re: New Sports Radio station? About F'M time!

Post by JLesinski » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:13 pm

just interested wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:35 pm
There will not be another sports radio talk station because there are not enough listeners to support it. Think about it. A good number of people in this area think Mike Valenti is the "cream of the crop". WTF? If "cream of the crop" is someone who throws out a condescending, know-it-all, constantly negative schtick and talks over and shuts down callers who submit a logical challenge to his claims, then the listener base just isn't there for more competition.
You know the station chose him over the Lions Broadcast rights, right? So he must really be horrible. :lol
Dont worry, he'll be gone in a few years when a bigger market makes him an offer he cant refuse. Because he's that bad.



rizzman87
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Re: New Sports Radio station? About F'M time!

Post by rizzman87 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:35 pm

Uhhhh he bombed his NY tryout lmaoo. Philly allegedly made him an offer but he turned it down because he knows his whole shtick is Michigan and Sparty. He wouldn’t last a second in Philly or NY.



rizzman87
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Re: New Sports Radio station? About F'M time!

Post by rizzman87 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:36 pm

Also I know for a fact XYT didn’t want to pay for the Lions and used Valenti as an excuse on why they didn’t keep the rights. Very clever but Valenti wasn’t the reason.



JLesinski
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 11:43 pm

Re: New Sports Radio station? About F'M time!

Post by JLesinski » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:34 am

rizzman87 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:35 pm
Uhhhh he bombed his NY tryout lmaoo. Philly allegedly made him an offer but he turned it down because he knows his whole shtick is Michigan and Sparty. He wouldn’t last a second in Philly or NY.
Even if all that is true, if he is soo bad why does the ticket have him on during drive time instead of someone else who is (allegedly) better and would get better ratings?



lovinlife101
Posts: 2753
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: New Sports Radio station? About F'M time!

Post by lovinlife101 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:39 am

Frankly, my dear, I don’t give an A’M!

:rollin :rollin :rollin



Circle Seven
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:53 am
Location: Nankin Township

Re: New Sports Radio station? About F'M time!

Post by Circle Seven » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:39 pm

JLesinski wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:33 pm
I dont know if there is enough on-air talent in our area to support another sports station.
Jamie Samuelsen (sp?) and Valenti are the cream of the crop and can carry a show. The rest are simply competent at best and unlistenable at worst.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

What I would like to hear on the air is folks who have played a pro sport.
I don't care if it's an old Wings linesman talking about the Tigers, or a former tight end talking about the Pistons. Let go of the guys we have now that started out as cub reporters in high school, or got their start at Specs Howard, yet have never thrown a ball or slapped a puck. To me it shows.



just interested
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: New Sports Radio station? About F'M time!

Post by just interested » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:48 pm

rizzman87 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:35 pm
Uhhhh he bombed his NY tryout lmaoo. Philly allegedly made him an offer but he turned it down because he knows his whole shtick is Michigan and Sparty. He wouldn’t last a second in Philly or NY.
Exactly.
He's schtick. He's not good enough for the NY market. He's a one trick pony; bash the local team. He's in Detroit how much easier can his job be? Plus his listeners are slack-jawed, knuckle draggers who parrot back to him whatever they hear coming out of his mouth.
The worst part is he thinks he's funny. His attempts at humor are some of the most painful radio you'll ever hear.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic