Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethons

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
lidoshuffle

Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethons

Post by lidoshuffle » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:35 am

Just some thoughts, today being Labor Day and as a kid growing up in the 70's, The Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethons always told us "Summer is done and school starts tomorrow"...now a days is that telethon even on anymore??

Momo

Re: Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethons

Post by Momo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:46 am

It always provided a forum for older celebrities who were once fixtures on television to be seen again. The likes of Tony Orlando, Rich Little, Charo and so many others.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:14 am

It was shortened to an abbreviated format following Jerry Lewis' ouster close to a decade ago - I want to say three or four hours. That lasted maybe two or three years, after which point, the MDA pulled the plug completely.

The best part of the telethon in its latter years was watching Jerry berate his producers and directors live on air and use inappropriate language on TV. I remember on one of his very last telethons - he compared his female producer to "Eva Braun" and said "she probably has a swastika tattooed on her ass!"

My guess is that type of rhetoric was largely responsible for his removal as MDA Chairman and as host of the telethon.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:55 am

Twenty four hours of 1950s Vegas schtick just wasn't attracting the audience it used to. And Jerry's rendition of "You'll Never Walk Alone" got more disjointed every year. You just never knew at what point in the song he'd break down. Vegas gamblers probably made book on it.
The local market breaks were a big and expensive production. In Detroit, they involved days of prep, set construction. rehearsals and full crews on Union holiday overtime. The last few years of the Detroit local show aired on TV20, originating from rented studio space, as the station had none of its own.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:20 pm

As a kid I prayed for good weather on Labor Day weekend so we could go to the cottage or the beach. If it rained we were stuck watching the damn telethon because my mom was a Jerry fan.

If anyone cool like Hulk Hogan made an appearance it would be at like 5:30 AM. Otherwise it was Tony Orlando, Charo, Norm Crosby and Casey Kasem schmoozing with the CEO of 7-Eleven or the head of the International Brotherhood of Insulators. Jerry's increasingly agitated demeanor as he got older could be fun, though.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:39 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:55 am
Twenty four hours of 1950s Vegas schtick just wasn't attracting the audience it used to. And Jerry's rendition of "You'll Never Walk Alone" got more disjointed every year. You just never knew at what point in the song he'd break down. Vegas gamblers probably made book on it.
The local market breaks were a big and expensive production. In Detroit, they involved days of prep, set construction. rehearsals and full crews on Union holiday overtime. The last few years of the Detroit local show aired on TV20, originating from rented studio space, as the station had none of its own.
I do remember when Channel 2 (WJBK) had the local segments back in the 70's, Joe Glover always seemed to be the main host...

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:59 pm

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:19 pm

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:02 pm

The telethons were unwatchable because of Jerry Lewis. Not funny at all, and a horrible person. He did this so he could get media exposure.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:42 pm

Deleted post.
Last edited by Deleted User 24 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:45 pm

I grew to hate the telethon because it often portrayed kids with MD as pitiable creatures unable to have a meaningful life and wholly dependent on charity. It did improve somewhat in later years.

iloveblackpeople

Post by iloveblackpeople » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:17 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:55 am
Growing up in Saginaw we always had the telethon on WNEM channel 5. They would do their local breaks from the shopping malls in Saginaw and Flint.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:08 pm

Jeff Dugan wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:18 pm
CurlyHoward wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:59 pm
Apparently none.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mda-telehon-lewis/
I Don’t believe any of it.
Ok, you've made your point.

DAC

Post by DAC » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:26 pm

You could always count on an appearance by the Village People around 2 AM ET. My friends and I would always bet on how long it would take before Jerry's bow tie would be untied and just hanging around his neck. The last several years of his appearances, it was usually about 10 minutes in. What annoyed me was that the Tigers games were pre-empted on Labor Day on WNEM in Saginaw.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:44 am

Don't forget if you haven't already, the BOOT people want your money too!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic