Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

It's official - 105.9 Kiss is now owned by Beasley

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

It's official - 105.9 Kiss is now owned by Beasley

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:03 pm

Caroline Beasley's comments are absolutely vomit inducing! "Radio" has become a dirty word. Radio broadcasters are now "audio" and "digital' companies.

https://news.radio-online.com/articles/ ... -for-$135M

In any event, it will be interesting to see what programming changes are made. I've already detected some changes on 105.9 in recent days. A slow jams show has been added to the lineup at night, for instance. Also hearing a new V/O artist on the imaging cuts.

The bigger question to me is this - what happens to 107.5 after December?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: It's official - 105.9 Kiss is now owned by Beasley

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:11 pm

The agreement was that they were going to air certain nationally syndicated programs owned by Urban One for an undisclosed period of time.

Of course, all programming found on the Detroit Praise Network (other than maybe some weekend brokered programming) is from out of town, so you're probably correct that little will change there in the near future.

With regard to WDMK, Beasley is obligated to continue carrying Tom Joyner in A.M. Drive and D.L. Hughley in P.M. Drive for an undisclosed length of time. It is unclear if Beasley will be required to carry Tom Joyner's successor - Rickey Smiley - in 2020.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:19 pm

99.9 MHz has been broadcasting nothing but dead air ever since Beasley took over.

The Praise Network's ratings have dropped by more than 60 percent over the past several months. I think listeners are getting fed up with the unreliable reception and the even worse sounding audio fidelity.

Interestingly, even though 99.9 MHz is off the air, 98.3 MHz, WDMK-HD2 and WDMK-HD3 have all continued broadcasting.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:05 am

I don't hear any difference in the sound of the station whatsoever. Same VO talent/Station ID's, and the evening love show was always there, nothing new.
I have a tough time understanding Beasley taking over and are leaving everything the same and not making it their "own" ....
Why would a broadcaster AGREE to keep the formats and syndicated shows when they purchased the stations? Is this for a period of time?
Time will tell I guess.

Captain Rock

Post by Captain Rock » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:58 am

A good time to make changes on 105.9 Kiss is when Tom Joyner retires at the end of the year.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:55 pm

I've always preferred Kiss to Mix. That said, I would hate to see Hughley's show disappear (it's one of few shows I can listen to in the afternoon outside of WWJ). I have to believe the overlap between 105.1 and 105.9 will be too often and changes will be made. I know ratings and revenue come into play, i.e. what station bills more, who performs better in the market, competition, etc. The question that always arises is what format holes are there in the market and how can we make more money? Would a classic soul format work? Would it work with the syndicated programs they have to carry? And then, should U1 drop the LMA with WGPR, what do THEY do?

Frankly, I won't miss Hot 107.5 should it disappear. Today's mainstream rap blows donkey dick. Of course, lots of current rock and pop and country product is terrible, so I guess it won't matter.

I vote for the Gregorian Chant format still.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:17 am

Now positioned as " The best smooth R&B and old school" the playlist has changed as well. 90% of the songs are softer R&B with a few upbeat songs.
They kept the same logo and have transferred the website to Beasley's server.

The Detroit Praise Network has hit a few rough patches with dead air for the last 3 days on 93.5 (105.9 HD3 - which wont lock HD on my receiver )
98.3/99.9 have had issues as well with dropping/fading audio.

I'm hoping Beasley adds some smooth jazz to 105.9 and eventually resurrect the WJZZ call letters "smooth 105.9 WJZZ" like WNWV out of Cleveland.
or bring back "the groove" with jammin oldies/motown "105.9 the groove"

As for the Detroit Praise Network, I'd like them to be on 1 frequency instead of 3, and use the other 2 for different formats. Is this even possible?
What options does a broadcaster have with multiple translators airing one programming? Can they be split?

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:16 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:19 pm
99.9 MHz has been broadcasting nothing but dead air ever since Beasley took over.

The Praise Network's ratings have dropped by more than 60 percent over the past several months. I think listeners are getting fed up with the unreliable reception and the even worse sounding audio fidelity.

Interestingly, even though 99.9 MHz is off the air, 98.3 MHz, WDMK-HD2 and WDMK-HD3 have all continued broadcasting.
It is a shame we cannot pickup K-100 from Toledo anymore. I lived in Canton and used to be able to get a pretty clear signal from WKKO-FM back in the mid-late 2000's.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:24 am

Given the fact 105.9 airs syndicated programming in both AM and PM Drive, I've not noticed a big difference in music.

I'l listen a bit this weekend and will post my observations here.

Edit - OK, so I've listened a while.

During weekdays, the programming largely sounds the same as before. The station runs syndicated shows in both AM drive (Tom Joyner) and PM Drive (D.L. Hughley). The playlists during those shows - particularly the afternoon show - sound much different than the remaining dayparts.

I'm not sure such disjointed sounding programming is a good strategy.

During weekends - and I presume middays and weeknights - the station definitely leans older than before. Any artists shared with 105.1 The Bounce have largely been eliminated from the playlist during local programming. Most of the songs now heard during local programming on 105.9 are format exclusive; definitely hearing stuff that is unfamiliar to me.

The focus seems to be on urban hits of the 80's and R&B love songs from the 90's and early 2K's. Those looking for healthy quantities of classic soul will be disappointed.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:11 am

Steve79 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:05 am
I don't hear any difference in the sound of the station whatsoever. Same VO talent/Station ID's, and the evening love show was always there, nothing new.
I have a tough time understanding Beasley taking over and are leaving everything the same and not making it their "own" ....
Why would a broadcaster AGREE to keep the formats and syndicated shows when they purchased the stations? Is this for a period of time?
Time will tell I guess.
They probably inherited existing syndicated contracts from Radio One under very favorable terms. Similar to WNSH today, that former gNASH is still clearing "Nash Nights" and Blair Garner even though every other Entercom country stations is either live/VTed/jockless in those dayparts.

And why mess with a station that doesn't need to be messed with? Imaging might be swapped out later on but it doesn't seem to be a priority.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:16 pm

Looks like kiss fm and format will be sticking around for awhile with the new ownership. They have designed a new logo and updated all social media platforms ... Beasley must be okay with the mediocre ratings.
What an uneventful sale/take over...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:18 pm

The music has been in total flux over the past 30 days it seems. Last weekend's music mix was much more upbeat and included more 90's than the last time I listened.

There is plenty of room for two Urban AC stations in Detroit. WDMK just needs to find the right programming formula.

senpaisai

Post by senpaisai » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:48 pm

Steve79 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:17 am
The Detroit Praise Network has hit a few rough patches with dead air for the last 3 days on 93.5 (105.9 HD3 - which wont lock HD on my receiver )
98.3/99.9 have had issues as well with dropping/fading audio.
Hmm ... Cumulus's NASH Icon in Monroe could be the culprit since they're on 98.3 FM ...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic