Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Which Metro Detroit cities are declining and which are improving?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
TC Talks

Re: Which Metro Detroit cities are declining and which are improving?

Post by TC Talks » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:12 am

The board's racist wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:18 pm
Hamtramck is heavily "ethnic". Immigration has resulted in a higher population/tax base. It went from 18k to 23k people and the ethnic community is slowly buying and repopulating old buildings for things like halal food centers. Also, hipster/starving artist/musician types are moving in due to dirt cheap rent and proximity to bars. Yeah, it looks like crap. But new demographics are pumping new life into it and successfully reversed population decline. The old polish families leaving or dying off really put the place in jeopardy and right now there is a sign of new life.
I hate to break it to you, but America is more "ethnic" than it is white male racist these days. It's time to panic, Detroit is running out of White Flight suburbs.
---

I've been doing some research lately... the trend of young people moving from rural to urban keeps growing everywhere in the US except the Detro metro. Even Cleveland is going twice as fast as Detroit. IMO immigrant migration is the best chance Detroit has to grow and renew.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:59 am

I considered Clinton Twp, too, Y M.

The thing is, its south end really looks no different than when I first moved to the area 15 years ago. It has never been particularly desirable.

I haven't driven down Garfield, north Groesbeck or down Cass Ave. in a while. Hall Rd is still booming, though, even despite the two big box vacancies at Partridge Creek.

Southfield to me looks the same as it always has in the time I've lived around here. Shitty roads. Nice natural areas in SW part of the city. Evergreen between 696 and M-10 looks rather nice these days.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:22 am

TC the bully seems to think all "white males" are "racists", though he himself appears to be white ( unless he can prove otherwise).

I now have to think hes a troll.

And actually, I was implying that immigration is working in the citys favor because it has brought in a successful population increase and new businesses. Ditto with Dearborn. Dearborn was never really declining but heavy middle-eastern immigration probably helped prevent that from happenning. So if he is implying racism in my post than he is lying again.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:16 pm

TC Talks is your average far left SJW. He wants you to be tolerant of him, yet throws insults and hate at those who do not agree with his views, calling you racist, bigoted, etc. Think PC Principal of South Park.

Fact is, Hamtramck is a dump, and it has been for decades. Saying that must mean all immigrants are bad is flat out wrong. Look at Dearborn, which is around 45% Arab, and that doesn’t include the other groups that immigrated there. Most of Dearborn is OK or better, the main exception being the far eastern section near the Detroit line. For a compare and contrast, drive down Warren from I-94 west. In Detroit, it’s bombed out and abandoned. When you reach the section where Dearborn just out for a bit, it starts to look OK. They take care of their neighborhoods. Reach the section west of Greenfield where Detroit comes back, and it’s bombed out homes again.

I’ve never thought of Canton declining, more like holding steady. Clawson is getting better, but it was never really that bad to begin with.

Sterling Heights is a mix, so overall I would say steady. The 14 Mile corridor certainly doesn’t look like it once did.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:00 am

Jeff Dugan wrote: The as you quote " boards racist" is correct in what he's stating and as far as your research goes it sucks is that all you do is silly meaningless research.
As long as the big checks keep rolling in for me to do this "meaningless" research I guess I'll keep being silly. I understand knowledge scares some people.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:04 am

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:22 am
TC the bully seems to think all "white males" are "racists", though he himself appears to be white ( unless he can prove otherwise).

And actually, I was implying that immigration is working in the citys favor because it has brought in a successful population increase and new businesses. Ditto with Dearborn. Dearborn was never really declining but heavy middle-eastern immigration probably helped prevent that from happenning. So if he is implying racism in my post than he is lying again.
Yet you have to call people from middle east " Ethnic". I'm sorry your ignorance causes you trouble, but consider my words enlightenment for a better way of life.

― Noam Chomsky

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:46 am

TC Talks, do you even know what ethnic means? You are a hateful person. Do you even have any connection to the Detroit area? If not, how do you know which suburbs are improving or declining?

You are as bad as that spammer from Windsor (who thankfully doesn’t post anymore).

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:42 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:04 am
Y M Ionhere wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:22 am

Yet you have to call people from middle east " Ethnic". I'm sorry your ignorance causes you trouble, but consider my words enlightenment for a better way of life.
Well, people from Middle Easstern countries have their own regional cuisines and lamguage, even music style, for starters.
Do you not consider a Lebanese restaurant serving Lebanese dishes an "ethnic restaurant"?
Or a radio station playing traditional Arabic-language music an "ethnic station"? Because im pretty sure thats how its classified officially.
And many of Hamtramcks immigrants arent middle eastern. They are from Bangladesh ( Asian) or Albania ( European with their own language).
Please. Shut up and stop being a bully.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:42 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:47 am
I forgot to name one for my improving column: Clawson.

Here's another one for my declining column: Canton.

Hell, I'll add Sterling Heights to the "declining" list, too! South end of the city is looking a little rough. Van Dyke thoroughfare isn't what it used to be, and if Lakeside Mall becomes the next Summit Place, the north end is really going to be in trouble.
I never understood why Bill Doyle (of Demenski & Doyle fame) moved his family from Rochester Hills to Canton when they were here. Never had a chance to ask him, either, as we were no longer working together. Perhaps Canton reminded him of New Jersey. :lol

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:27 pm

If you are Beaver, I loved when he would make appearances on the show. Rudy was the punching bag but he took it well.

I miss that show.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:49 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:27 pm
If you are Beaver, I loved when he would make appearances on the show. Rudy was the punching bag but he took it well.

I miss that show.
Nope. I am an entire lifetime older than Beaver.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:43 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:42 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:47 am
I forgot to name one for my improving column: Clawson.

Here's another one for my declining column: Canton.

Hell, I'll add Sterling Heights to the "declining" list, too! South end of the city is looking a little rough. Van Dyke thoroughfare isn't what it used to be, and if Lakeside Mall becomes the next Summit Place, the north end is really going to be in trouble.
I never understood why Bill Doyle (of Demenski & Doyle fame) moved his family from Rochester Hills to Canton when they were here. Never had a chance to ask him, either, as we were no longer working together. Perhaps Canton reminded him of New Jersey. :lol
Not really sure how Canton is "declining". Its been a boom township for years. It mostly saw big growth starting in the 80s, so the housing stock is a bit more modern.
Canton is pretty much like Troy and the aforementioned Rochester Hills. Contemporary, good schools, well documented low crime rate. And now running out of room for large-scale new builds, though unlike Troy and RH, some areas still have a more rural feel as long as rezoning doesnt alter them.
Id say Canton and Rochester Hills arent that different. Its just that RH traditionally had higher property values and more natural beauty like forests and water. Moving from one to the other is almost comparable and may be due to closer proximity to something like work or family.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:23 am

SixPlusOne wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:34 pm
What does this have to do with Michigan Radio and TV?
Here's the perfect place for this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/michigan/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:56 am

Here's why I chose Canton:
1 - Schools. Part of the city is served by Westland-Wayne Community Schools (lousy). The other part of the city is served by Plymouth-Canton Community Schools (five gazillion students at the high school).
2 - Adjacent communities. Canton has Van Buren Twp on one side and Westland on the opposite side. At some point, Canton will be screwed.
3 - Commercial development. Tons and tons of strip malls. Not so sure occupancy levels will look good a decade or two from now.

I guess I selected Canton more because of my view of the city's future, more than anything else. I will say this - for anyone who needs easy access to Detroit Metro Airport, it's extremely convenient.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:36 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:56 am
Here's why I chose Canton:
1 - Schools. Part of the city is served by Westland-Wayne Community Schools (lousy). The other part of the city is served by Plymouth-Canton Community Schools (five gazillion students at the high school).
2 - Adjacent communities. Canton has Van Buren Twp on one side and Westland on the opposite side. At some point, Canton will be screwed.
3 - Commercial development. Tons and tons of strip malls. Not so sure occupancy levels will look good a decade or two from now.

I guess I selected Canton more because of my view of the city's future, more than anything else. I will say this - for anyone who needs easy access to Detroit Metro Airport, it's extremely convenient.
I will say that Canton is going down, but it's still pretty good. There's also a lot of immigrants there. But I have no problem with immigration at all. Immigration, when done legally, is a beautiful thing. They get to start a brand new life of freedom. It's the whiney milennials who are bringing Canton down.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic