Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

AAA - can it still work in Detroit?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
format this

AAA - can it still work in Detroit?

Post by format this » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:42 pm

I am surprised WKLQ hasn’t been brought into this discussion. They are a laid-back AAA, relaxed imaging (it could be a little more upbeat... I do like the music mix. And yes, it’s a GR station, but I figured someone would have used it for comparison.

WXRT flat out rocks. Basically a P2 for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: AAA - can it still work in Detroit?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:24 pm

WKLQ is largely modeled after Ann Arbor's 107One, which has been around much longer and can be heard across many of Detroit's western suburbs (and even some downriver suburbs).

The AAA format is best reserved for non-commercial frequencies in the immediate Detroit area. Would be nice to see WDET integrate a little more of that programming into its schedule. 89.9 from Windsor plays some stuff that should appease fine music connoisseurs.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:58 pm

WDET's weekend programming is superb. I wish they'd go back to music full-time.

We have Michigan Radio if we want NPR 24/7 (and I much prefer their news/talk programs to WDET's).

It seemed so redundant to me that they went that route, but whatever gets them the most donations, I guess...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:56 am

Jeff Dugan wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:46 am
WDET is a waste of a great frequency and should be sold to a commercial broadcaster, the potential to make big money not just on the sale of that station but also the fact of a great signal. What a waste in its current state.
For what? Another Adult or Urban Contemporary station pretty much playing the same playlist as other stations?

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:11 am

I rather enjoy a lot of that crap, so I am glad it isn't going anywhere.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:24 am

Jeff Dugan wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:46 am
WDET is a waste of a great frequency and should be sold to a commercial broadcaster, the potential to make big money not just on the sale of that station but also the fact of a great signal. What a waste in its current state.
Oh, yeah, another outside corporate operator in it for "big money" would really be an improvement :barf .
Our local FM dial is already packed with "sound-alikes" and dreck, "wasting" good signals.
IIRC, I don't think the terms of sale by the UAW to Wayne State allow such a transaction to occur, anyway.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:26 am

Jeff Dugan wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:02 am
Anything would be better than the crap that is broadcast over that station now.
You, sir, are just a grumpy-ass old man.
I will not go near your lawn.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:10 pm

No, SolarMax is correct -- the clause the UAW included in the sale to Wayne State is ironclad. They cannot sell it to a commercial operator, no matter what.

I don't think they should sell it. Like I said earlier, I just wish they'd embrace the music programming they air, and go back to having it full-time.

At the very least, having a 24/7 music stream on their website would be fine with me. I already stream music quite a bit as it is; nothing wrong with having another option. :)

(Edited for clarity)
Last edited by thatonedude on Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:58 pm

Could Wayne State turn in the license if, say, they don’t wish to operate it anymore? In that case, could the FCC then auction the frequency off as a commercial station to the highest bidder?

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:19 pm

fuzzpower wrote:Could Wayne State turn in the license if, say, they don’t wish to operate it anymore? In that case, could the FCC then auction the frequency off as a commercial station to the highest bidder?
They could, or hand it off to another non-com (hopefully not the Borg -- I mean, K-Love, or somebody similar), although I doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Silvio Dante

Post by Silvio Dante » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:02 am

Just saw that KFOG the heritage AAA in San Francisco is flipping to sports talk next week. If AAA can't make it there it probably can't here.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:57 am

How does one categorize or fall into AAA?
I thought it was largely singer-songwriter, heavily acoustic. It just sounds like a vaguely worded format so how much subgenre variety should such a station play?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:35 pm

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:57 am
I thought it was largely singer-songwriter, heavily acoustic. It just sounds like a vaguely worded format so how much subgenre variety should such a station play?
While I dig select tracks, I always called it the "too hip for the room" format. Works WELL in Ann Arbor and Ferndale.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:18 am

I'd give it a listen.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:20 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:35 pm
Y M Ionhere wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:57 am
While I dig select tracks, I always called it the "too hip for the room" format. Works WELL in Ann Arbor and Ferndale.
I used to listen to 107.1 at lunch in a Subway restaurant near the UM North Campus where I was surrounded by mostly students. It fit right in with that atmosphere. But when I'd tune in on the way home from work, with other listening choices, it was less appealing.
Last edited by Bobbert on Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic