Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CICO-32 in Windsor

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Gerald1981!

CICO-32 in Windsor

Post by Gerald1981! » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:39 pm

Why did CICO-32 change their virtual channel from 32 to 19?

RingtailedFox

Re: CICO-32 in Windsor

Post by RingtailedFox » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:13 pm

I think it was just easier to display its physical frequency than have to try to fiddle around with a virtual channel...

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:11 am

Is CICO32 on channel 19 actually on the air?

Haven't seen any sign of it, and on 32 it was always available.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:58 pm

Yes, it's on the air... but it's hard to pick up because of WUDL-LD, at the Renaissance Center, is also on UHF 19 until winter (when it moves to UHF 35)... Co-channel Interference is quite a hassle...

GREATLAKESVET

Post by GREATLAKESVET » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:18 pm

Actually, they might have switched to 19 to reflect the parent station's original analog channel, which was on Channel 19 in Toronto. But that's just a guess on my part.

Great Lakes Vet

windsor

Post by windsor » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:01 pm

You would have thought smarter minds would have prevailed over this freq. change.With TVO and CBC both a public broacaster using tax payers money you would have thought that the great minds at the CRTc would have put the TVO signal as a dot2 on ch9 CBC.At least here in Windsor if no where else bc of the border proximty.

It would have given TVO a better signal and wider audience especially into Metro Det. where the CRTC could have spread its Canadianism like it alwyas preaches.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:08 pm

I agree, but the CRTC always devalues its own properties like the CBC... as mentioned in another thread before the great database wipe a few months back, if the CRTC were to give CBET 9 in Windsor an exemption to cover news stories in Detroit and offer programming and commercials for Detroit, that station alone could provide a double-digit percentage (say, as much as 20%) of the CBC's total budget, and have a prominence similar to CBLT in Toronto, CBMT in Montreal or CBUT in Vancouver... not bad for a tiny city of less than a quarter-million people!

People including Windsor City Council even petitioned the CBC and CRTC to shove CBEFT (the CBC-French station) onto 9.2 so the region could retain french-language programming, but both said "Nah, too much effort..." even though it would be a no-brainer to shove CBC-English on x.1 and CBC-French on x.2 in English areas, and reversed for French areas. If both were dual-720p, we could POSSIBLY see TVO as a third 720p feed, or relegated to 480i... which would be a reduction from its current 1080i (unless we had a 1080i feed that looked like compressed crap).

Since CBET covers Chatham and Sarnia, that would make the Chatham-area repeater CICO-DT-59 33.1 (temporarily on 32, moving to 28 soon) redundant, and Sarnia would receive TVO again, since it's too far from London's CICO-DT-18 to get a reliable signal, and is JUST barely outside the reach of the Chatham repeater...

windsor

Post by windsor » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:41 pm

Fully agree on your first point.CBC9 could be profitable and prominent in whole metro if they would do as you suggest.But its too easy to suck on the hind teet of the taxpayer.When RKO owned CKLW tv9 they made money and were a force on the Detroit dial.

As for the last point....I would let the repeater be redundant, there;s alot of locales like London that doesnt even have a CBC anymore ota.

Our media is always half assed...........

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:10 pm

Even CBET was profitable into the 80s because of Detroit. When the feds cut the budget, channel 9 cut out Detroit. They have never recovered.

I have always thought of this area as special because you have another country within earshot. Sadly, the media no longer utilizes this. Windsor no longer covers Detroit, and (for the most part) vice versa.

windsor

Post by windsor » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:21 pm

In the Buffalo/Niagara region I have noticed alot more CDN ad's on Buffalo tv/radio, even the Buff PBS station dubs itself as Buffalo/Toronto since alot of canadians donate to that PBS station.

Its always suprised me that the Det radio/tv didnt go after more revenue from this side of the river.I think the last time I heard a Windsor advertiser on a Det radio station was on 102.7 Z rock.

You get the occasional Caesar's Windsor ad but that's aimed at the Detroit area.

YpsiGuy

Post by YpsiGuy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:24 am

Once CBET went digital, it became a fringe signal for me. My two antennas point in the Saint Clair Shores and Southfield directions now. That gets me all of the Detroit majors, including WADL.

If the CBC were smart, they would boost power and add subchannels to CBET. Add some unique subchannels and sell ad time aimed at Detroit market. It would help keep CBET funded.

WTVS should consider the same approach. They don't need PBS kids in HD. Flip it to 480i and take the main signal to 720p. Add about 4 subchannels that bring them revenue. Then they won't have to beg for money as much as they do.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:14 pm

YpsiGuy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:24 am
Once CBET went digital, it became a fringe signal for me. My two antennas point in the Saint Clair Shores and Southfield directions now. That gets me all of the Detroit majors, including WADL.

If the CBC were smart, they would boost power and add subchannels to CBET. Add some unique subchannels and sell ad time aimed at Detroit market. It would help keep CBET funded.

WTVS should consider the same approach. They don't need PBS kids in HD. Flip it to 480i and take the main signal to 720p. Add about 4 subchannels that bring them revenue. Then they won't have to beg for money as much as they do.
The CRTC is strict, I don't think that CBET (or any Canadian station for that matter) can target more than 20% of its advertising to non-Canadian areas. And all Canadian stations and cable channels (yes, they control cable TV over there!) have to air Canadian programming on 60% of their schedule, sounds to me like the CRTC is eerily close to being hyper-nationalist Nazis. Also, subchannels there are licensed separately from the xx.1, unless the subchannels are simulcasts of xx.1. I don't know why Canada switched to digital at all if they aren't even gonna let their stations take advantage of the best part about digital TV: the subchannels!

WTVS should add MHZ Worldview to 56.5 and an audio simulcast of WRCJ to 56.6

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:51 pm

Splouge wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:14 pm
YpsiGuy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:24 am

The CRTC is strict, I don't think that CBET (or any Canadian station for that matter) can target more than 20% of its advertising to non-Canadian areas. And all Canadian stations and cable channels (yes, they control cable TV over there!) have to air Canadian programming on 60% of their schedule, sounds to me like the CRTC is eerily close to being hyper-nationalist Nazis. Also, subchannels there are licensed separately from the xx.1, unless the subchannels are simulcasts of xx.1. I don't know why Canada switched to digital at all if they aren't even gonna let their stations take advantage of the best part about digital TV: the subchannels!

WTVS should add MHZ Worldview to 56.5 and an audio simulcast of WRCJ to 56.6
Not to mention all the collusion in Canadian media, such as CBC and CTV being in cahoots with the cable and satellite industry. Bell would be the equivalent of the following American media companies merging:
CBS
Viacom
Sinclair
iHeartRadio
Spectrum
Verizon

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:11 am

I actually miss being able to get TVO, on occasion I have found interesting programs on in the evening. I hope that once the repack is done in March I am able to get it back again.

Also agree it would be interesting to see see Canada embrace sub channels in the future.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:49 am

ftballfan wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:51 pm
Not to mention all the collusion in Canadian media, such as CBC and CTV being in cahoots with the cable and satellite industry. Bell would be the equivalent of the following American media companies merging:
CBS
Viacom
Sinclair
iHeartRadio
Spectrum
Verizon
Over in Canada, owning cable channels of a certain genre is first come first serve. The first Canadian cable network in the children's genre, Teletoon, is a category A service, meaning nobody can make a competing children's cable network. As a result, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Teletoon, and Disney Channel are all owned by the same company in Canada.
szmigiel wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:11 am
I actually miss being able to get TVO, on occasion I have found interesting programs on in the evening. I hope that once the repack is done in March I am able to get it back again.

Also agree it would be interesting to see see Canada embrace sub channels in the future.
Oh yeah, it's just WUDL-LD not having moved yet. Being pessimistic, you should get TVO back by July 2020 at the very latest.

The only thing Canda takes advantage of with DTV is the HD quality and the electronic program guide, I could live without both, since I already know what times my shows are on, and most of them are on SD subchannels. Get TV on WHNE is SD and no EPG. Without subs, there's not a lot of shows to watch. Again, proving that Americans like me have it better than Canadians, I actually feel really soory (I couldn't resist!) for Canadians who can't afford cable and don't live near the border. The only station that's close to a diginet is CHCH-TV, an independent station with repeaters all over Ontario that airs classic shows.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic