Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Local Radio Newscasts - Terrible!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Colonel Flagg

Local Radio Newscasts - Terrible!

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:18 pm

I won't name the station or newscaster, but OMG, if you can't even pronounce "Monroe" "Rotunda" or "Biddle" correctly, you may be in the wrong line of work. It would be funny if it were not so sad.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Deleted User 24

Re: Local Radio Newscasts - Terrible!

Post by Deleted User 24 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:52 pm

It certainly wasn't Greg Bowman.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:48 pm

I supposed there is a reason for the 3 posts on the topic.

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:52 pm

Last week, in the local paper, News or Free Press, there was an article about the late Lee Iacocca. There was a picture attached to the article, showing Iacocca speaking to the press. Ven Marshall was on reporter holding a Circle 7 microphone. The other microphone was a WCXI radio mike. Two things: I remember Ven Marshall when he labored at WWJ radio & TV, when it was a Detroit News station. Radio and TV were NBC affiliates, and did a stellar job of covering news, although not as flashy as the competition. Ven left WWJ for the Circle 7, and a lot more money. He stayed there for years, until his retirement. As for WCXI, I remember when most radio stations had news departments. Now, only two remain: WJR and WWJ. That's what deregulation has done for broadcasting, and our society. Fewer information choices are not good for a free world.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:03 pm

SixPlusOne wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:48 pm
I supposed there is a reason for the 3 posts on the topic.

My bad on that one. While trying to post, I got the "504" gateway time-out error several times.

And no, it was NOT Greg Bowman.

But seriously, "MAHN-row" "ROE-tunda" and "Buh-DELL"? It's pathetic, to hear that we need a pronunciation guide for words like that. If you're behind the mic, you should know where those places and streets are, and how to say them, for God sakes.

WCXI (and it's predecessor, WCAR) had a big news department, with real talent. It's a pretty safe bet that everyone there knew how to pronounce Monroe correctly.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic