Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Why is Sanilac part of the Detroit DMA?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
RingtailedFox

Re: Why is Sanilac part of the Detroit DMA?

Post by RingtailedFox » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:05 pm

there are some community-owned translators in remote areas (mostly in the rockies and great plains) for that exact reason.. they get a contract to partner up with stations to get permission to repeat their signals.... i can see it working in Bad Axe and the Thumb region.

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

format this

Post by format this » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:39 pm

ftballfan wrote:Many stations include counties outside of their DMA on their weather maps. For example, WZZM doesn't include two in-market counties (Branch and St. Joseph) in their weather maps, but includes four Traverse City-Cadillac market counties (Lake, Mason, Mecosta, Osceola). That may be partly because the four latter counties are served by the Grand Rapids NWS office while Branch and St. Joseph are served by the Fort Wayne NWS office. In another example, 9&10 includes all 25 counties in its DMA plus five others (Gladwin, Isabella, Newaygo, Oceana, Ogemaw; a sixth county (Midland) would likely be included if it were served by either the Grand Rapids or Gaylord NWS offices).
WZZM in its analog days had issues reaching Kalamazoo/Portage. Now, with a good outdoor antenna, 13 and its subs only come in a few times a year north of Mattawan. St Joe and Branch have never been served by WZZM, but since the GR TV market stretches to the state line (which it shouldn’t as St Joe Co should be in the South Bend market), it’s considered part of it. 13 knows better though, and keeps the lower tier off its local maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:45 am

I believe Bad Axe had one or two commercial TV allotments in the analog era. I know Port Huron had one. Obviously, they were never built.

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:42 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:13 pm
Genesee and Lenawee have been included in Detroit station’s maps because the stations were available OTA (probably still are with a decent antenna), as well as on cable.

Lenawee in all reality is no man’s land. The county is ignored by both Toledo (its actual DMA) and Detroit stations.
But, do stations in the Lansing DMA actually cover Lenawee or is it too ignored by them?

Only somewhat related, but I remember reading a since-deleted post on this forum that mentioned that decades back, WJRT included a northern Michigan county and Ingham County in their weather maps because 29&8 was weaker then and WLAJ didn't exist yet.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Now that I think about it, this is probably irrelevant. I've never been to Sanilac County, but I'm pretty sure it's a rural farm county, and if that's true, they probably don't care much about TV.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:41 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:45 am
I believe Bad Axe had one or two commercial TV allotments in the analog era. I know Port Huron had one. Obviously, they were never built.
WDCQ (PBS) is licensed to Bad Axe and originally had its analog transmitter at Ubly, south of Bad Axe, but relocated its digital transmitter to closer to Bay City at Quanticassee, as they felt it's better serving the region with one digital transmitter than two analog signals (WDCP, the original channel 19, would go dark). But between WDCQ's relocation and the closure of WCMZ, it has left many parts of the Thumb region with no TV coverage, and in the case of Sandusky mentioned above, no public TV at all on cable or aerial.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:49 am

I am surprised Channel 46 in Port Huron was never built. It’s part of the Detroit market, so there could be cable coverage for a large area (probably not Washtenaw). I would think the tower would be as close to Detroit as physically possible, so it wouldn’t help the Thumb with TV reception very much.

The commercial Bad Axe allotments I understand why those never went up. It’s a rural area, and I don’t know how close they could get the tower to Saginaw or Bay City to cover more of the market.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic