Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mitch Albom proves once again he's a piece of shit

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Trophyhead

Re: Mitch Albom proves once again he's a piece of shit

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:49 am

I made the choice to not consume Mitch Albom in the fall of 1988, and I go back occasionally, including just now, to read the column that drove me from him.

https://www.mitchalbom.com/mark-messner ... at-a-loss/

When I read the piece now, it doesn't bother me as much as it did then, but I still don't give a shit that Mitch needed a piano. I knew when I was a Free Press delivery boy that Joe Falls was going to tell me what he had for breakfast on the way to a college football game, but in general, the rest of the story was going to be centered around the contest.

I have an unopened copy of "Tuesdays With Morrie" available, for those who may be interested.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:34 pm

Ive heard rumors (ok, started rumors) that Bitch All-bum has compared his writings to the decleration of Independence, looks at himself in the mirror while repeating his own name, and considers himself Godlike since he wrote a book about people you meet in Heaven.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:58 pm

The only time I ever paid any attention to Mitch was when him and Mike Stone hosted the "Sunday Sports Albom" a weekly sports show that was on Sunday nights. Then Mitch got big time on us and his holier than thou attitude rubbed me the wrong way. He was the writer that would would always be the hop on the bandwagon guy- only when the story gained big national attention or the local sports team went to the championship would it be of his worthiness to write about. If it's TRENDY Mitch is all over it. Mitch can kiss my ass!

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:50 pm

Hes always come across as a smarmy douchebag to me. How does a journalist get busted making stuff up and not only still have a job but be cocky attitude about it?

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:15 am

Doesn't anyone wonder how he wrote a big thick book on the Fab Five,
yet failed to notice they were getting H*** sums of money, vehicles, etc. from Ed Martin? How could those young kids hide all that cash and treasure from the highly acclaimed sportswriter/journalist?

Was that a fiction book or non-fiction?

Then when called upon to testify in the Ed Martin trial, he refused to show up.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:41 am

SixPlusOne wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:39 am
I wish WJR would kick Bitch Albom out the door but I don't expect that to happen even if Hell freezes over.
Being de facto hand-picked by J.P. before his death is undoubtedly the biggest reason why.

(Edit: that wasn't the case.)
Last edited by Myron Falwell on Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:23 am

Myron Falwell wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:41 am
SixPlusOne wrote:
I wish WJR would kick Bitch Albom out the door but I don't expect that to happen even if Hell freezes over.
Being de facto hand-picked by J.P. before his death is undoubtedly the biggest reason why.
I thought that was Paul W Smith?

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:38 am

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:23 am
Myron Falwell wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:41 am
SixPlusOne wrote:
I thought that was Paul W Smith?
For some reason, I always thought that J.P. helped Mitch get his afternoon show in 1995, but Mitch's show didn't start for a few months; in the interregnum, J.P. died and Paul W. was brought in. Re-read everything and that wasn't the case, but Paul W. didn't hand-pick him either (Paul was fighting to get released from his non-compete in Philly at the same time).

I don't know why I assumed that to be the reason. Maybe it's because such a scenario is as unlikely as some of Mitch's writings tbh.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:33 pm

JLesinski wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:50 pm
Hes always come across as a smarmy douchebag to me. How does a journalist get busted making stuff up and not only still have a job but be cocky attitude about it?
As I have said many times before, I have worked at the same station as Mitch twice, and have never seen him be anything but pleasant to the people around him. There are, or were, people at WJR with a "holier than thou" attitude, who can barely be bothered to say hello or good morning, but I never saw Mitch or Kenny behave in that manner. I never saw Mitch or anyone on his team throw a fit, pull rank, be rude, or act condescending toward others. Not one single time.

If Mitch steps in a pile of doo doo, it's usually over his column. Not sure what to think about that.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:57 pm

Jeff Dugan wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:51 pm
I don’t care for Mitch Albom’s radio show on WJR but the man does deserve credit for his charitable work in the Haitian crisis years ago, let’s face it his heart is in the right place.
Yes but this is probably the same reason the show is lacking - Mitch's brain and heart have been somewhere else for a long time.

DAC

Post by DAC » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:25 am

Do we have to cover the difference in journalism between an article and a column? The crap that LL101 posts on here daily is akin to a column; just an opinion. Articles are for the who/what/when/where/why/how facts. I don't even care about Mitch Albom or what he wrote, but this is fundamental stuff!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic