Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Future of 107.5fm WGPR

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14990

The Future of 107.5fm WGPR

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:01 am

So... The LMA is ending with Urban 1 will be ending in a few months. What's next? Do The Mason's enter into another LMA with someone or outright sell the station? I am leaning towards, not selling it but entering into another LMA with someone.

1. Adelll enters into a LMA and puts some sort of Urban Programing on there.

2. The station enters into an agreement with a religious group

3. They go foreign language, LMA deal again.

4. Mason's sell WGPR all together

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: The Future of 107.5fm WGPR

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:04 pm

I have a conspiracy theory:

I think one reason iFart flipped not one, not two, but three (!!!) of its HD2 and HD3 signals to similar formats - all locally programmed with different brand names (Jammin, Wild, Power) - is to hoard those brand names as a defensive maneuver.

Perhaps they are concerned about the possibility of someone acquiring Hot 107.5 and relaunching the station in an effort to make it more competitive against WJLB or even Channel 9-5-5?

Beasley is probably the would-be acquirer most likely to keep the current format intact, although I personally think that'd be a stupid move. Many of 107.5's listeners are low income, and the station in its current form has absolutely terrible billing based on estimates I've seen.

Tough to say what Entercom would do with it. Adult CHR to pair with 98.7 The Breeze? Alternative? (I sure hope not!) A Newsradio 950 WWJ simulcast?

Cumulus certainly has enough cash on hand to scoop up another FM in Detroit. WGPR-FM's fair market value is probably around $10 million.

I suspect Adell will be a bidder, too. If he covenants to keep the station's format geared toward the African American community, that could give him a leg up - even if he isn't the highest bidder. The fact he's scooping up music-based programs and personalities suddenly at his floundering AM 910 (Michael Baisden, Coco) could be a sign that he's planning to make a play for WGPR-FM.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic