Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Morels / Michigan Out Of Doors

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
sfpcc

Morels / Michigan Out Of Doors

Post by sfpcc » Fri May 31, 2019 10:02 pm

I saw this on Michigan Out Of Doors about a week ago. They did a segment of Morel, (mushroom) picking up in Northwest Michigan. Usually during such things they give out a warning about the dangers of poisonous mushrooms, but there was no such thing. I thought that was kind of irresponsible.

sfpcc

Re: Morels / Michigan Out Of Doors

Post by sfpcc » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:03 am

[quote=sfpcc post_id=574477 time=1559354536 user_id=4168]
I saw this on Michigan Out Of Doors about a week ago. They did a segment of Morel, (mushroom) picking up in Northwest Michigan. Usually during such things they give out a warning about the dangers of poisonous mushrooms but there was no such thing. I thought that was kind of irresponsible.
[/quote]

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:32 am

J-Ten

Post by J-Ten » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:08 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:02 pm
I saw this on Michigan Out Of Doors about a week ago. They did a segment of Morel, (mushroom) picking up in Northwest Michigan. Usually during such things they give out a warning about the dangers of poisonous mushrooms, but there was no such thing. I thought that was kind of irresponsible.
Did you try to contact Jimmy Gretzinger? He's very easy to get a hold of.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:13 pm

Very few mushrooms are actually poisonous. Some of them could upset your stomach but only one very limited class can actually cause damage.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:21 pm

[quote=J-Ten post_id=574872 time=1559700498 user_id=7662]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'll think about but the episode was around a month ago so he might have moved on to other things. I've just heard a few horror stories about people eating poisoned mushrooms.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:22 pm

[quote=sfpcc post_id=574877 time=1559701266 user_id=4168]
[quote=J-Ten post_id=574872 time=1559700498 user_id=7662]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'll think about but the episode was about two weeks ago so he might have moved on to other things. I've just heard a few horror stories about people eating poisoned mushrooms.
[/quote]

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:04 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:13 pm
Very few mushrooms are actually poisonous. Some of them could upset your stomach but only one very limited class can actually cause damage.
Do you habitually chime in on topics that you have no actual knowledge of?

From the MSU Extension office:

"In Michigan, there are 50 species of large, fleshy mushrooms known to be toxic to humans. Levels of toxicity vary between species and range from “deadly poisonous,” to “occasional gastric distress.” Several of the deadly species, especially those in the Amanita family, are extremely dangerous because symptoms don’t develop until six to 36 hours after ingestion, which is too late for the only antidote – a stomach pump. Another poisonous mushroom to be aware of this spring is the false morel, or beefsteak mushroom (Gyromitra esculenta). It is commonly mistaken for a true morel, and can have deadly results. "

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/michigan_ ... oom_safety

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:15 am

FET-500 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:04 am
TC Talks wrote:

"In Michigan, there are 50 species of large, fleshy mushrooms known to be toxic to humans. Levels of toxicity vary between species and range from “deadly poisonous,” to “occasional gastric distress.” Several of the deadly species, especially those in the Amanita family, are extremely dangerous because symptoms don’t develop until six to 36 hours after ingestion, which is too late for the only antidote – a stomach pump. Another poisonous mushroom to be aware of this spring is the false morel, or beefsteak mushroom (Gyromitra esculenta). It is commonly mistaken for a true morel, and can have deadly results. "

I go mushroom hunting every year (for 17 years now) with a group of microbiologists on my property and throughout the region. So I might know something about this topic. This article is accurate up until the point where it fails to discuss the frequency to which which the severely poisonous mushrooms are available to Northwest Michigan.

Thank you for asking, what has your experience mushroom hunting been?

Image (Harvested Sunday)

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:33 am

I remember "Michigan Outdoors " on Channel 4 with Mort Neff and later Jerry Chiapetta as host .(I thought I heard Chiapetta's legal issues resulted in his ouster. ) Can someone confirm or refute my boyhood and young manhood memories of " Michigan Outdoors ? '

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:22 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:15 am
FET-500 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:04 am
TC Talks wrote:

I go mushroom hunting every year (for 17 years now) with a group of microbiologists on my property and throughout the region. So I might know something about this topic. This article is accurate up until the point where it fails to discuss the frequency to which which the severely poisonous mushrooms are available to Northwest Michigan.

Thank you for asking, what has your experience mushroom hunting been?

Image (Harvested Sunday)
Uhhh, great diversion? Me? I'm an amateur mycologist and hangout with a guy with a doctorate in molecular biology. Yah, I also have morels in my yard.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:33 pm

Sweet! A good friend of mine retired and started a shiitake mushroom farm. Completely fascinating, one weekend every spring he takes 24 inch Maple logs and dips them in shiitake spores. If you help him you get some.

Have you gone through the state certification process? I believe they have two levels, one for identification and one for commercial selling.

― Noam Chomsky

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:17 pm

FET-500,Have you ever consumed a mildly poisonous mushroom ? And how many Michiganders are killed yearly by eating poisonous mushrooms ?

Getoffmylawn

Post by Getoffmylawn » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:45 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:33 pm
Sweet! A good friend of mine retired and started a shiitake mushroom farm. Completely fascinating, one weekend every spring he takes 24 inch Maple logs and dips them in shiitake spores. If you help him you get some.

Have you gone through the state certification process? I believe they have two levels, one for identification and one for commercial selling.
It's the same class for both. The only difference is that if you want to sell them, you must take (and obviously pass) the test they offer at the end of the session. Most people who attend do wind up taking the test, but at the class they held in March, I'd say about 20% - 30% were just there for fun.

The class is very interesting, even for the casual mushroom enthusiast. It is jointly presented by the Michigan Dept. of Agriculture and Midwest American Mycological Information. In addition to the information provided, they also cook up some samples of some of the more exotic mushrooms they have found. I don't believe that there are any more sessions scheduled for this year, but anyone interested can check back at http://www.midwestmycology.org/Workshops/Workshops.html.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic