Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WOW FM?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14990

Re: WOW FM?

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:32 pm

A blast from the past! Come on everybody! ED Tyll! Ed Tyll!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v86CdFy2T8

WOW sounded like Cluster F___. Didn't WJR try to sue them? I think it was Alliance that owned them at the time? I think it was for using the slogan " Jet Copter 99.5fm".

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:33 pm

The disaster of FM News 101.9 NYC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oKrFqVfQdc

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:08 am

I remember the biggest thing of spring storms and the “our signal doesn’t get lost” or something to that effect because they were FM and not affected by the atmospheric crackles that AM Is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

I remember the creation and demise of this station. From "the how to kill the fox?" calls and "I got friends in low places", to the countdown, then the rotation of comedy album bits and parodies, to the start of trying to do FM talk radio. I would tune in when I wanted something different, and actually liked the afternoon drive team. Then one nice early summer day listened as I went to go shopping, and when I came out the station was playing country music and 99.5 has been off my presets ever since.

The Constant Browser

Post by The Constant Browser » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:07 pm

If I can sorta hijack the thread, I thought WDRQ did a much better job on news and talk in 1971. It started with Art Vuolo's historic History of Detroit Radio, they didn't play the games that WOWF did (i.e. REVERRRBBBB) and the rigid clock that stopped for no one when it came during interviews. WDRQ had a good lineup of hosts, including Denny Shreefer (J.J. Scott), Russ Gibb (GIBB no s if you please). if I remember their top of hour ID was, "WDRQ-FM Detroit, where the news comes first every hour."

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:00 pm

I was just discussing this with someone, I was only 13 at the time so my memory is a little foggy. Anyway, he said he worked in a restaurant kitchen, was listening to WOW-FM the day it flipped to country. He said, they took commercial break and flipped to country, no warning!

rocktoast

Post by rocktoast » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:55 pm

What did the countdown start at before the switch to WOW? I remember listening to it. It was fun.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:01 am

Christmas eve 1992 I believe

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:48 pm

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:00 pm

That was one of the most unique stunts I've ever heard.

Transmitter

Post by Transmitter » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:28 am

WOW FM! LAUNCHES "MORNING NEWS MAGAZINE"

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 22, MARKS THE DEBUT OF AN INNOVATIVE MORNING NEWS PROGRAM ON ALLIANCE BROADCASTING'S NEW RADIO STATION 99.5 WOW FM!

WOW FM! MORNING NEWS MAGAZINE IS HEARD MONDAY-FRIDAY FROM 5:30-10:00AM. THE SHOW IS HOSTED BY DETROIT RADIO NEWS VETERAN JOHN DELLE-MONACHE WHO ENTERED DETROIT RADIO IN THE LATE '60'S AND SPENT 12 YEARS ANCHORING MIDDAYS AT WWJ. JOHN HAS ALSO WORKED FOR WJR AND CURRENTLY TEACHES BROADCAST JOURNALISM AND SPEECH AT HENRY FORD COMMUNITY COLLEGE.

BILL PLEGUE IS THE EXECUTIVE PRODUCER OF THE WOW FM! MORNING NEWS MAGAZINE. HE GOT HIS START IN DETROIT RADIO IN THE '80'S SERVING AS ASSISTANT TO DICK PURTAN AT WCZY-FM. LATER HE MOVED TO WJR RADIO AS J.P. MCCARTHY'S PRODUCER FOR SIX YEARS AND MOST RECENTLY PRODUCED THE DENNY MCLAIN PROGRAM ON WXYT-AM IN DETROIT.

HARRY VALENTINE, OPERATIONS MANAGER/PROGRAM DIRECTOR AT WOW FM!, DESCRIBES THE NEW SHOW AS "BREAKFAST FOR YOUR BRAIN." THE MORNING NEWS MAGAZINE WILL FEATURE IN DEPTH DISCUSSIONS OF HARD NEWS SUBJECTS, INTERVIEWS AND SOME SUPRISES EACH DAY. AS VALENTINE IS QUICK TO SAY, "IF IT'S HAPPENING NOW.. IT'S HAPPENING ON WOW!"

THE MORNING NEWS MAGAZINE ON-AIR LINEUP ALSO INCLUDES NEWS DIRECTOR/MORNING DRIVE NEWS ANCHOR ROBERT K. SCHUMAN, NEWS ANCHORS CASEY CONLEY AND JAMES GEMMELL, HELICOPTER/AIRBORNE TRAFFIC REPORTER KURT MACDOUGALL AND TOM DEAN, AND SPORTS DIRECTOR CLEAT DUMPSTER. REGULAR CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE SHOW COME FROM MICHIGAN'S LARGEST PM RADIO NEWS TEAM FEATURING R.C. BAUER, TOM CORBETT, KAREN DINKINS, TONI KAYUMI, SUSAN HAWKINS, TODD FOWLER, MIKE FREEDMAN, PAT NUGENT, MAKELIA TYSON, SCOTT HELD, MARY ANN CHIRCO, JIM HOLLISTER AND JAN SURFACE.

WOWF, ("WOW-FM"), IS OWNED BY ALLIANCE BROADCASTING, A LIMITED PARTNERSHIP, BASED IN WALNUT CREEK, CA. ALLIANCE ALSO OWNS KYNG-PM, DALLAS-FT. WORTH, AND OPERATES KSNN-FM, ALSO IN DALLAS-FT. WORTH, ON A TIME BROKERAGE AGREEMENT WITH EVERGREEN MEDIA CORPORATION. ALLIANCE BROADCASTING LIMITED PARTNERS ARE ODYSSEY PARTNERS, L.P. AND GOLDMAN, SACHS & CO. BOTH BASED IN NEW YORK. JOHN P. HAYES, JR. IS PRESIDENT/CEO OF ALLIANCE AND 100% OWNER OF ITS GENERAL PARTNER.

WOW-FM 99.5 - 306 S. Washington, Suite 500 - Royal Oak, Michigan 48067 (313)691-4100 - Fax (313) 543-3699

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:08 pm

Never realized their office was in Royal Oak. The only station I have vivid memories being in that city was WEXL.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:05 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:08 pm
Never realized their office was in Royal Oak. The only station I have vivid memories being in that city was WEXL.
They were in the building next to Royal Oak music theater. Really cool facility actually.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:35 pm

99.5 had been there since Lorraine Golden and Jim Harper moved it when it was WDTX.
They were in the building next to Royal Oak music theater. Really cool facility actually.
The building was, and still is, cool. The station was a dump. When WOW-FM took flight, it was a dump with a LOT of very expensive toys and way too many people.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic