Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

How Wheels 106.7 programs by the hour

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
JLesinski

How Wheels 106.7 programs by the hour

Post by JLesinski » Mon May 27, 2019 9:42 pm

Ozzy Osbourne song
Song from the 60's or 70's everyone in Detroit has heard a million times
One of 4 Nirvana songs
Cool song from the 80's or 90's that hasnt been overplayed
AC-DC song
Metallica song
One of 4 Green Day songs
Song from the 60's or 70's everyone in Detroit has heard a million times.

Repeat all day every day!

This station is throwing away a golden opportunity to be unique and give Detroit something good. They're morphing into the same old crap we always get.
Last edited by JLesinski on Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

senpaisai

Re: How to program Wheels 106.7 by the hour

Post by senpaisai » Tue May 28, 2019 7:37 am

Using a Classic Rock Band approach with a 1990 cutoff point, this is how I'd program Monday through Thursday.

2DIE4 - "You Got What It Takes"
Arc Angels - "Living In A Dream"
Iron Maiden - "Blood Brothers"
Bad Company - "Holy Water"
Queen - "I Can't Live With You"
Judas Priest - "Revolution"
AC/DC - "Wheels"
Journey - "To Be Alive Again"
Nirvana - "Come As You Are"
Dream Theater - "6:00"
Metal Church - "Conductor"
Testament - "Down For Life"
Tool - "Prison Sex"
Slayer - "Spirit In Black"
Rush - "Animate"
Nazareth - "The Gathering"
Styx - "These Are The Times"
Megadeth - "Kick The Chair"
Jackyl - "The Lumberjack"
Kansas - "Black Fathom 4"
Yes - "Open Your Eyes"
Manowar - "King"
Savatage - "Edge Of Thorns"

Friday thru Sunday = Free Wheelin' Weekend. Old School anything goes "Wheelz" from the 70s and 80s. 70% request driven (because you're gonna need somebody there to make sure 707, Point Blank, Far Corporation, GTR, Yes, and Asia gets a snowballs chance since it most likely won't be getting requests)

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:38 am

JLesinski wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:42 pm
Ozzy Osbourne song
One of 4 Nirvana songs
Cool song from the 80's or 90's that hasnt been overplayed
AC-DC song
Metallica song
One of 4 Green Day songs
Song from the 60's or 70's everyone in Detroit has heard a million times.

Repeat all day every day!

This station is throwing away a golden opportunity to be unique and give Detroit something good. They're morphing into the same old crap
Last edited by stopnswop2 on Tue May 28, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Music is my life.

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Tue May 28, 2019 7:59 am

Yeah after basically seeing their playlist laid out with the WLLZ 500 their most played artists are;
AC/DC, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Tom Petty, Def Leppard, Guns N Roses, Pink Floyd. You will probably hear 6 to 8 of these bands every hour.

The Rest of the hour will be a song from each one of their favorite sub-genres
Arena Rock/Heavy Metal (Journey, Boston, Triumph, Judas Priest, Dio, Foreigner, Rush, Queen, ZZ Top)
Grunge/Post Grunge/Nu Metal (Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, The Offspring)
Hair Metal (Bon Jovi, Kiss, Motley Crue, Ozzy Osbourne, Poison, Ratt, Scorpions, Whitesnake).
A few times a day they may play something from a sprinkling of a few others artists from the 70's or 80's.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Tue May 28, 2019 8:22 am

szmigiel wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:59 am
Yeah after basically seeing their playlist laid out with the WLLZ 500 their most played artists are;
AC/DC, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Tom Petty, Def Leppard, Guns N Roses, Pink Floyd. You will probably hear 6 to 8 of these bands every hour.

The Rest of the hour will be a song from each one of their favorite sub-genres
Arena Rock/Heavy Metal (Journey, Boston, Triumph, Judas Priest, Dio, Foreigner, Rush, Queen, ZZ Top)
Grunge/Post Grunge/Nu Metal (Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, The Offspring)
Hair Metal (Bon Jovi, Kiss, Motley Crue, Ozzy Osbourne, Poison, Ratt, Scorpions, Whitesnake).
A few times a day they may play something from a sprinkling of a few others artists from the 70's or 80's.
Its quite sad. For a station that markets itself as "The new generation of classic rock!" they sure play a lot of tired stuff from the 60's and 70's. They are basically turning into 94.7 but with a few songs from the 90's thrown in. And even those are usually songs that have been ridiculously overplayed.
I dont understand why this is so difficult. Play great songs from the 80's and 90's and thats your niche. Dont try to be as equally boring as 94.7.

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Tue May 28, 2019 11:48 am

It's amazing you all aren't professionally programming

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Tue May 28, 2019 5:27 pm

Daypart wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:48 am
Sorry If we want to hear something other than the same tired tripe Detroit radio has played relentlessly for the past 20 years. :roll:

senpaisai

Post by senpaisai » Fri May 31, 2019 1:52 am

Daypart wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:48 am
It's even more amazing that a medium that's been 20+ years in decline still resorts to the very programming responible for the decline in the first place.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Fri May 31, 2019 7:16 am

1. People want to hear the hits, and hear familiar voices play the hits. Studies have proven that time and time again.

2. No format has been tested to death moreso than AOR and the formats that followed it, including this iteration of classic rock. That's been going on since the 1970s, not 1996.

3. iHeart has shared music logs between their like-formatted stations. There's little variance between WLLZ and WXZX in Columbus.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri May 31, 2019 7:38 am

Myron Falwell wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:16 am
1. People want to hear the hits, and hear familiar voices play the hits. Studies have proven that time and time again.

2. No format has been tested to death moreso than AOR and the formats that followed it, including this iteration of classic rock. That's been going on since the 1970s, not 1996.

3. iHeart has shared music logs between their like-formatted stations. There's little variance between WLLZ and WXZX in Columbus.
Not to mention, the average Schmuck may not be music nerds or radio nerds like us. Agree or not, and I hate the comparison, but when you go to McDonald's, you want a burger, fries and a coke. If McDonald's started serving lasagna instead of burgers, people would stop coming.

Although I've always maintained that, in the case of core artists, or with artists that test well, it wouldn't hurt to go a little deeper from time to time. That was the basis of AOR. The most recognizable artists. Ironically, last I knew, Van Halen and AC/DC tested well across the board, men and women, young and old. That may have changed over the last 7 years.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Fri May 31, 2019 8:05 am

Myron Falwell wrote:

So why has 94.7 now all of a sudden added some variety to their playlist?There are lots of "hits" in the classic rock genre. WCSX fell into their comfortable rut playing safe songs that everyone "loved". Translation: "Play the same songs over and over no matter what." Until 106.7 came along and gave them some competition and they suddenly started playing some different stuff. Amazing!All we are asking is to give us a break from the same tunes once and awhile. Yes, there are safe songs that basically have to be in there but there are a ton of "hits" that are not on the wheels or WCSX playlists.
Last edited by JLesinski on Fri May 31, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Fri May 31, 2019 8:10 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:38 am
Myron Falwell wrote:

Not to mention, the average Schmuck may not be music nerds or radio nerds like us. Agree or not, and I hate the comparison, but when you go to McDonald's, you want a burger, fries and a coke. If McDonald's started serving lasagna instead of burgers, people would stop coming.

Although I've always maintained that, in the case of core artists, or with artists that test well, it wouldn't hurt to go a little deeper from time to time. That was the basis of AOR. The most recognizable artists. Ironically, last I knew, Van Halen and AC/DC tested well across the board, men and women, young and old. That may have changed over the last 7 years.
Thats not really a fair comparison as lasagna is a totally different type of food not in agreement with their core product. What we're saying is that instead of playing "Ramble On" for the millionth time how about playing "Out on the Tiles" or some other equally good Led Zeppelin song? Still classic rock, still a core band and still a good song.

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Fri May 31, 2019 11:00 am

The corporate consolidation of radio has pretty much killed radio. Since the late 90s radio has steadily gotten worse and worse. I use to have favorite radio stations, my go to stations on my presets, stations I would proudly put bumper stickers on my car. Radio homogenization has made for smaller and smaller playlists, fewer bands, and fewer songs from those bands. Most playlist are made up of maybe 50 artist that are on heavy rotation. Also old music has been pigeon holed into categories, so even if the song got plenty of play on Rock stations when it was released, now it can't be played because in no longer qualifies for the playlist. The argument being if someone doesn't recognize a song right away they will turn the station. Guess what if I recognize the song right away I am probably switching the station because I am tired of hearing it.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri May 31, 2019 5:45 pm

szmigiel wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 11:00 am
The corporate consolidation of radio has pretty much killed radio. Since the late 90s radio has steadily gotten worse and worse. I use to have favorite radio stations, my go to stations on my presets, stations I would proudly put bumper stickers on my car. Radio homogenization has made for smaller and smaller playlists, fewer bands, and fewer songs from those bands. Most playlist are made up of maybe 50 artist that are on heavy rotation. Also old music has been pigeon holed into categories, so even if the song got plenty of play on Rock stations when it was released, now it can't be played because in no longer qualifies for the playlist. The argument being if someone doesn't recognize a song right away they will turn the station. Guess what if I recognize the song right away I am probably switching the station because I am tired of hearing it.
AMEN!

It’s gotten to the point with the “burn them to a crisp” playlist with classic rock stations, I IMMEDIATELY change the station if Foreigner, Tom Petty, Billy Joel, John Cougar Mellencamp or Cheap Trick come on. I’m sick of them...

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Fri May 31, 2019 6:21 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:38 am

Bingo

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic