Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Source: Cumulus Detroit is for sale...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14992

Re: Source: Cumulus Detroit is for sale...

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:57 pm

non-anon bob wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:57 pm
I would like to see Adell own a REAL radio station (i.e. 93.1) instead of that joke of a station he calls "910 AM Superstation," which consistently draws a paltry 0.3 share, with a laughable cume of 25,000 listeners. I think that Entercom would be more interested in acquiring 96.3 and 760 than Beasley, especially when you take into account WJR's relatively high payroll, sports broadcast contracts, and syndication fees. No way that Beasley would ever take on those liabilities, even if they bought out several contracts.
Are you on drugs, You would like to see Adell to own an FM in Detroit just to put more liberal bullshit programming on the FM dial that’s ridiculous, I’d rather see another Jesus Rock station before that Adell supershit station crap.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed May 15, 2019 6:56 pm

Would Crawford purchase another FM and simulcast or dump one of the AM stations?

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:16 pm

Probably not they just recently purchased AM 1200 unless they shut down 560 or 1340, I would shut down both, At some point there will be a thining down of the AM dial.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed May 15, 2019 7:50 pm

Another scenario:
Entercom buys WJR, simulcasts WWJ on it for 2-4 weeks, takes on the identity "News Now 760 WJR", then sells WWJ's license and plant to Salem.
Salem sells WLQV to Zamora for some cash and the license and transmitter plant if WDTW.
Thus Salem has 1340 to serve the East Side of Detroit and 1310 for the Westside, and the two don't necessarily need to simulcast.
1500 becomes "La Zeta Poderosa" as its signal blasts into both the old and new Hispanic cores (SW Detroit and Lincoln Park).

Deleted User 15003

Post by Deleted User 15003 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:22 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:50 pm
Another scenario:
Entercom buys WJR, simulcasts WWJ on it for 2-4 weeks, takes on the identity "News Now 760 WJR", then sells WWJ's license and plant to Salem.
Salem sells WLQV to Zamora for some cash and the license and transmitter plant if WDTW.
Thus Salem has 1340 to serve the East Side of Detroit and 1310 for the Westside, and the two don't necessarily need to simulcast.
1500 becomes "La Zeta Poderosa" as its signal blasts into both the old and new Hispanic cores (SW Detroit and Lincoln Park).
Excellent idea.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:41 pm

I hope EMF keeps their greedy hands off another station in Detroit.
I also hope their won't be any simulcasting going on. It's a waste of a frequency and format. (AM 760)
It would be cool if Cox or any other established company enter the market.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Wed May 15, 2019 8:45 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:19 pm
Would Bonneville or Lincoln Financial want to get into the Detroit media market on the radio side?
Nah. Lincoln Financial is out of the business I believe, and Bonneville is mainly a west coast operator.
I'd love to see Saga come in. Anyone know if they're still based here? They were but never had stations here.

Or...

A swap goes down similar to the Radio One swap in Indy but with Beasley.

Beasley swaps the 3 Detroit FM's to Cumulus for a Cumulus market they want into, say Chicago.
Beasley gets WLS A/F and WKQX, and Cumulus gets WCSX, WRIF, WMGC.

Or they swap with Radio One again and get WDMK and WGPR for whatever Cumulus market Radio One wants into. Or vice-versa.

Unlikely? You bet.
Impossible? Nope.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 15, 2019 9:03 pm

Saga focuses on small & medium size markets. Milwaukee & Columbus are the exceptions to the rule, but remember, Columbus used to be a much smaller market just 20 years ago.

Beasley or any other major commercial owner lacking a presence in Chicago would be moronic to accept WLS-A (a quickly dying station), WLS-F & WKQX as a means of entering Chicago. They would got absolutely crushed by Hubbard, Entercom and iHeart. Cumulus is nothing more than a marginal player in the market.

Cumulus isn't looking to double-down on Detroit, I suspect, unless it means being able to unload stations at a pretty premium elsewhere. Your Radio One swap idea is intriguing, I must admit, but I see that being more of a possibility with someone other than Cumulus.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 pm

Another scenario:
Sorry, but that's an outrageously bad idea.

Why on earth would Entercom waste their time with such a concept? WWJ (on AM 950) already demolishes AM 760 in the ratings and also leads WJR in the revenue department.

If WJR goes away, I guarantee you someone would do News/Talk on FM. Long term, that could possibly be a bigger detriment to WWJ than AM 760 WJR persisting as a News/Talker.

Also, your idea would create a massive amount of listener confusion. Some people have been listening to WWJ's news programming for four decades. You basically want to throw out arguably the most valuable radio brand in Detroit today (Newsradio WWJ) out with the bath water. Un-fucking-believable.

There are certainly circumstances where Entercom acquiring 760 WJR would make sense, but I'm afraid the scenario you laid out isn't one of them. It would make more sense for Entercom to retain WJR as a news'/talk brand. This would give Entercom an incredibly impressive wall of spoken word formats - Sports Talk on 97.1, All News on AM 950, and News/Talk on AM 760.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 pm

Maybe Dan Gilbert will buy the cluster.ore plausible than some of the ideas.

What do you suppose Detroit would be worth? $35m is my guess.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 15, 2019 9:47 pm

For 96.3, 93.1 & 760 combined? I was thinking somewhere in the $40 million to $50 million range.

95.5 KLOS in Los Angeles went for $43 million and generates annual BCF of just under $5 million allegedly. The L.A. market, though, has a better long-term outlook than Detroit, of course. I cannot see the Detroit cluster selling for an 8.5x multiple. Probably more like 6x to 6.5x depending on the buyer.

I suspect 93.1 generates about $1MM to $1.5MM in annual BCF and is probably worth more on a stick value basis. Let's say they're worth $8 million to $10 million. (Yes, I realize that's less than what EMF paid for 102.7 MHz.)

My guess is 96.3 WDVD and 760 WJR are each worth $16 million to $20 million.

learn to fly

Post by learn to fly » Thu May 16, 2019 3:43 am

Lew Dickey doesn’t want a slice? Or is he out?

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:32 am

A big part of WLS's problem is its signal in the Northern half of the Market. In the really old days, 1930s to WW II and post WW II until 1960 when they went Top 40, the market to the South of Mokena/Tinley Park was a big part of their business. WVON 1450 was just 250 watts Night, WGRT/WJPC 950 was a Daytimer until circa 1980, and WGES 1390 was bought by McLendon and became Top 40 as WYNR, then News, as WNUS, and Beautiful Music as WNUS, until FM began to really take over in the late 1970s.

From the 1960s until WVON took over 1390, and even after, the R and B audience on the South Side had very little except WLS to listen to at Night, and with the rest of the Midwest, John R on WLAC. Since they went increasingly to Right leaning Talk, their audience is on the North Side, where the signal in today's noisy electrical environment, is insufficient. There is a fix, and the former WLS-FM/WDAI CE and WLS Engineer, Inventor of the Texar Audio Prisms, and the designer of the WWJ, WFDF, WXYT, and WMVP 50 kW DAs, was talking about it with me on the phone right before his terminal diagnosis and death six weeks later.

When I didn't hear from him after emailing back and forth a few times, I thought he must have thought I didn't know anything. Next thing I heard was that he had passed away. RIP Glen, and the other radio geniuses like Major Armstrong, Leonard Kahn and Philo Farnsworth, who got the schoolyard bully treatment, even from some people who post here on this very board. Their ideas live on.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:39 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 pm
Maybe Dan Gilbert will buy the cluster.ore plausible than some of the ideas.

What do you suppose Detroit would be worth? $35m is my guess.
Dan Gilbert is not in the radio biz, What a dumb idea.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Thu May 16, 2019 10:22 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 pm
Another scenario:
Sorry, but that's an outrageously bad idea.

Why on earth would Entercom waste their time with such a concept? WWJ (on AM 950) already demolishes AM 760 in the ratings and also leads WJR in the revenue department.

<snip>
Despite the fact that WWJ is 50KW and midway on the dial, WWJ's signal is, nevertheless, compromised.

Their transmitter is a full 60 miles south of their listeners at the North end of the urban area in Oxford Twp.

They planned the transmitter site not knowing that any facility on 950 would have to protect the long-silent CKBB in perpetuity. They had already set the tower site and the location of the six towers as if CKBB never existed.
When they realized their error, they had to phase the array with a null to the northeast, creating a null in Macomb County and the Grosse Pointes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic