Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

In The Wake Of The Flood

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
sfpcc

In The Wake Of The Flood

Post by sfpcc » Wed May 01, 2019 11:08 pm

The flood was mentioned on the Then There's This Thread but I think it deserves one of its own. Has anyone out there been affected by it? What do do think of the coverage? I'm in Pontiac in a second floor apartment so I'm lucky, (although my toilet broke last December which is another story.) I really haven't formed an opinion on the subject.

ZenithCKLW

Re: In The Wake Of The Flood

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed May 01, 2019 11:23 pm

My basement received water, and it’s still coming in. I tried cleaning all day, but that was futile. I gave up cuz I couldn’t keep up. I’m going to let it finish coming in and then clean up and assess damage.

I don’t live in a flood plain, but my house was built in 1956. I didn’t get a chance to watch any coverage.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Thu May 02, 2019 12:42 am

I grew up in the neighborhood that had the H*** flooding in Dearborn hts.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:52 am

sfpcc wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:08 pm
The flood was mentioned on the Then There's This Thread but I think it deserves one of its own. Has anyone out there been affected by it? What do do think of the coverage? I'm in Pontiac in a second floor apartment so I'm lucky, (although my toilet broke last December which is another story.) I really haven't formed an opinion on the subject.
You're at the headwaters, more or less for the drainage system. Clarkston is the point with the greatest elevation, everything else is downhill.

While the folks in your area enjoy about 900 feet of elevation, you also benefit geologically in that Pontiac is set on a "glacial outwash plain", which drains really well. Meanwhile, Hines Drive floods out every year.

Three Little Pigs is really a great "must" read... but try this too. http://www.trca.on.ca/dotAsset/37810.pdf

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Thu May 02, 2019 7:56 am

I used to live in that area in Dbn Hghts back in the 70's. It's always been like that with the flooding when we get a ton of rain like we have. It's been doing that for years, it's the area right near where the creek runs along. It makes for great TV when people get their kayaks/canoes out and then they bombard us with the images of the flood.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Fri May 03, 2019 11:56 pm

[quote=Mr.Transistor post_id=571691 time=1556798191 user_id=14835]
I used to live in that area in Dbn Hghts back in the 70's. It's always been like that with the flooding when we get a ton of rain like we have. It's been doing that for years, it's the area right near where the creek runs along. It makes for great TV when people get their kayaks/canoes out and then they bombard us with the images of the flood.

I grew up in Southfield so there things about the Downriver / Western Wayne county I never really got. Is it the South end of the Rouge River that is flooding? In Southfield The Rouge is a relativly narrow slit that winds around The Mixing Bowl, Telegraph, and the Beachwoods area near Redford and Farmington Hills. The only flooding I remember was in 1981. Our neighbors basement was flooded but we were ok.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic