Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

93.1 Gnash FM is now the lowest rated station in Detroit

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14992

Re: 93.1 Gnash FM is now the lowest rated station in Detroit

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:23 pm

With the current financial situation that Cumulus is in, I would say they will not put any money in WDRQ, What ever format they will land on will be either automated or satellite feed or the station will be sold.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:35 pm

93.1 Jack FM!!! So easy to run, a ratings winner, and it’s a format I’d welcome with open ears.

rizzman87

Post by rizzman87 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:40 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:34 pm
ZenithCKLW wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:42 pm
MrTaterSalad wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:26 pm
We absolutely need another sports station. What other major markets, comparable to Detroit, only have one local sports station? 1270 and WDFN don't count in my book.
Why don't they count? They're still sports stations, occupying space on the spectrum. Detroit just has bad sports stations. Just like it has bad music stations. Detroit overall is stale in comparison to many other markets. Instead of taking away more spectrum for more duplication, why not fix what sports stations we have?
Because IHateLocalRadio has stripped WDFN down to the bone. You expect them to pump money into 3 or more live and local shows plus rights to live properties? They had a chance to flip WDFN to FM on the 106.7 dial on multiple occasions, including when they had the Pistons basketball rights and the team was a serious contender. They were strident against doing so and in the end, fired their entire on-air staff. The other sports station we have is 1270, which is owned by the same people who own 97.1. Entercom is going to compete against itself, so that is why 1270 doesn't count.

I am not that familiar with Cumeless business and programming model when it comes to local sports radio. However, 93.1 is a complete disaster right now and is further spiraling out of control ratings book after ratings book. I have to imagine their billing numbers are awful too. I doubt a sports format would do significantly worse (yes I know 105.1 was terrible). Move the Lions back to FM radio along with Michigan State sports. Give listeners a mix of fresh, new talent and a few familiar faces and go at 97.1 as best you can until you can snag the UofM sports properties.

I would mix in any of the following personalities Dana Wakiji, Gregg Henson, Justin Rogers, Kyle Meinke, Marcus Ray, Matt Dery, Rob Pascoe, Sean Baligian, Tony Paul and throw in some fresh voices. Really, if they flip to sports and keep Rico Beard, Rob Parker, Ryan Ermani, and Tom Mazaway off my radio I'll be happy.

My station/lineup would look like this . . .
Name/Branding: Sports Radio 93-1 DRQ

Mornings: 6-10am: Sean, Kyle, and Katie with Sean Baligian, Kyle Meinke, and Katie Strang (Writer for the Athletic, formerly of ESPN)
Update Anchor: Katie Strang

Middays: 10am-2pm: Jordan and Justin with Jordan Strack (WTOL sports anchor) and Justin Rogers
Update Anchor: Rob Pascoe

Afternoons: 2-6pm: Gregg, Matt and Herm with Gregg Henson, Herman Moore, and Matt Dery
Update Anchor: Matt Dery

Evenings: 6-10pm: ??? I would ideally look for a couple of out-of-town or local up-and-comers to put in this time slot.

Weekends: Art Regnar, Dana Wakiji, John Bacon, Tony Paul
I like that lineup a lot but I doubt they can get Sean as he's on DFN now. Detroit can support two sports stations IF DONE RIGHT. 105.1 shouldn't be used as an example because even I know they needed a local morning show and local weekend shows and i've never been in the radio business. 105.1 was ran very poorly.

MW or if someone else knows feel free to answer, wasn't there a rumor when the Lions went to WJR that they were going to flip to 93.1 and do more sports or all sports?

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:41 pm

Why don't they just go back to Doug FM.
the ratings were not even that bad.
they just needed a station to dumb Nash on.

Music is my life.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:54 pm

There is ZERO chance that Cumulus is going to flip to Sports. Cumulus would have to spend a TON of money on talent to compete with 97.1, and as evidenced by their moves in other markets, they are NOT going to spend what it would take.

Their recent moves to Gnash could mean one of a few things:
1) They’re preparing a flip of the station. Variety Hits sounds like the best option here, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they made a WKQX clone of Alternative here. Sure, it’s failed over and over again, but for reasons unknown, the format always reappears.
2) They’re preparing for a sale. Cumulus has been selling off underperforming major market signals all over the place (NYC, LA, Washington, and Atlanta). Maybe EMF wants a good outlet for Air-1? Maybe someone else is buying?
3) They’re simply gonna run Gnash as an even cheaper operation.

It will be interesting to see what transpires in the coming month or so....

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:54 pm

I could be wrong, but I thought, years back on this very board, there was speculation that Doug's variety hits format was on the chopping block, because Cume-Less didn't like that format.

We can sit and shoot the shit all day and night about what they're doing, what they SHOULD do, and what they won't do, but it comes down to one of three questions, if not all.

1) What format holes are there in this market?

2) What are some other national formats that Cumulus has?

3) What's the cheapest route available?

This is to even say they have any plans for 93.1. If it's billing is decent while running minimal to no overhead, and they have a clearance for national programming, why would they change formats?

With the sales of stations in other markets happening, it wouldn't be too far outside the box to think they could be planning some kind of sale. With the rumors of what stations are on the block and what ARE actually up for grabs, why the hell stay in Detroit? Their three properties here are stinking up the place. WDVD is the only one performing decently. So why not exit?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:38 am

Lets see: Any sort of rock format is out. CHR I doubt. WJR, simulcast nah.

Sports? I don't see the cloud boys putting the money into that unless they were really serious. I look at some of there other sports stations in other markets and I'm not impressed. Toledo's 106.5 is pitiful.

If I were to bet, it would be a return to variety hits, albeit a different name.

Selling the station? if EMF came in again, K-love would go to 93.1 and air 1 would make its way to 102.7.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:06 pm

Chrocket87 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:54 pm
There is ZERO chance that Cumulus is going to flip to Sports. Cumulus would have to spend a TON of money on talent to compete with 97.1

3) They’re simply gonna run Gnash as an even cheaper operation.

Bingo

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:09 pm

I see Nash Icon soon on WDRQ.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:18 pm

That's a thought, a soft relaunch. with a strong gold lean.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:36 pm

Baligian is brokered. He could go to a new station at any time.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:50 pm

Don’t think sports will end up on 93.1, They would have the same numbers they have now, And not to mention the salaries of all the personalities, Not going to happen. It’s going to be a very low overhead format like Nash Icon. Just a guess of course they may not do anything.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:29 pm

If they were to do a soft relaunch, lose the Nash name. Maybe make the station sound sort of like W-4 county back in the Day. 1980s-late 90s.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 03, 2019 4:45 pm

93.1 sounds moribund every time I flip it on.

The imaging sounds TERRIBLE. Could the voiceovers possibly take on a more boring persona? The V/O guy literally sounds bored when he reads "Nash FM..93-1." There is zero energy or enthusiasm in his voice.

The music is predictable. WYCD's on-air gold selection is so much better than WDRQ these days that it isn't even funny. (Two years ago, the opposite was true.)

The cache of veteran, well known jocks the station once offered - Lisa Lisa, Dave Fuller, Sandy Kovach, Renee Vitale, Doug Podell - have all moved across the hall to WDVD or to other stations in the market. The local voices found on 93.1 are all talented, but they all sound young and have no voice/name recognition.

The morning show imported from Nashville is a terrible fit for the market. The host sounds like a white collared millenial. NOT someone to whom most of the Country radio audience in Metro Detroit is able to relate. The fact Cumulus puts *that* show on the air in places like Detroit and Cincinnati proves to me Cumulus has no fucking clue how to program Country properly in those two markets.

Finally, I'm noticing a drop off in local spots on 93.1 in recent weeks. Maybe "Rich & Tonya" still advertise, but yesterday afternoon when I sat thru a full commercial break during PM drive, I heard not even ONE local or regional spot. The big name local & regional advertisers who once purchased time on 93.1 have largely pulled away.

93.1 sounds like a dead radio station walking. It either needs a shot in the arm (or twenty) or it needs to be put out of its misery.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Fri May 03, 2019 5:02 pm

Memorial Day is coming soon maybe a change will be near.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic