Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CHWI-DT-26 about to move

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: CHWI-DT-26 about to move

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun May 05, 2019 10:41 pm

CBET-DT is omidirectional,
I do not believe that is true.

FCCdata.org shows CBET is directional and sends nowhere near maximum power in the direction of Metro Detroit.

I can pick up channel 9 and channel 32 with occasional dropouts if I put a high quality indoor antenna in a south facing window of my single story ranch. I don't have Detroit's skyscrapers sitting between my house and the southern Essex County tower farm (which is located several miles due east of the Wyandotte / Trenton area), so that perhaps helps to a degree. I also don't have any large commercial or industrial buildings right down the street to act as a signal blocker.

One thing that perhaps *does* hinder DTV reception in my neck of the woods is the fact there is quite a bit of RF floating in the air near me. Numerous FM & TV stations have TX sites within five miles of my house. That wouldn't be an issue in a place such as Shelby Twp., for example.

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Mon May 06, 2019 5:13 pm

With CHWI-DT-26 now on RF17, I decided to check the RF17 frequency this morning to see what popped up. As usual for this frequency from my location during tropo events, WKYC showed up.

What a surprise.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Mon May 06, 2019 7:23 pm

mtburb wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:29 pm
I easily get both 9 and 32 in Wyandotte, almost regardless of where my antenna is pointed. On occasion, if my antenna is pointed north or east, I've been able to pick up 22 and CHWI on RF16. I used to be able to pick up analog 42, but it hasn't been showing up as of late.
Wyandotte is extremely close to the tower near McGregor, from which 9 and 32 both transmit.

CKWW (580) is also very close to Wyandotte. It sounds lousy because their very directional array (protecting WTCM and originally to protect CKPR at night) is so tight that there are places where CKWW has no carrier.
If you have a radio with LSB or USB modes (e.g., an Amateur Radio transceiver), you'll be able to listen to it because the radio will replace the missing carrier.

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Tue May 07, 2019 9:35 am

I think Analog 42 is already off the air. Before I would see heavy static images when passing it on my TV upstairs. But for the since April I just saw static, after my last rescan this weekend I lost it completely.

tivoking

Post by tivoking » Tue May 07, 2019 2:34 pm

Is it legal to put your TV antenna on top of a cell tower, and run a long cable to your home? I would use top notch cable to keep the signal strong. The tower is about a quarter mile from my home. I'm guessing that I would get a good TV signal from that location. I would run the cable under the street and sidewalks, so I wouldn't mess up anyone's lawn.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic