Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

March Nielsen numbers are out for Detroit radio

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

March Nielsen numbers are out for Detroit radio

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:24 pm

The impact of the new 106.7 WLLZ so far is pretty close to what some of us expected.

I was thinking the station would debut with about a 3 share and grab a couple shares away from WCSX & WRIF on a combined basis.

WLLZ performed even a bit better than that - grabbing a respectable 3.4 share. There may still be upside, as I suspect some people are still discovering the station. WCSX shed 1.3 shares, WRIF shed 1.0 share, and WOMC saw no change.

Also noteworthy are the following:
- 105.1 The Bounce's 4.7 share is its best showing since its first 90 days on the air;
- WJLB climbs to a 4.1, its best performance in probably a year or more;
- 98.7 The Breeze appears to be doing fairly well, at least 6+. It checked in with a 4.0 share.
- WNIC has been fazed only a little bit by The Breeze, still riding strong with a 6.2 share.
- Mix 92.3 is destroying Kiss by a 2:1 margin.
- WDET has pulled even with WUOM over the past couple surveys
- WWJ is beating the living shit out of 760 WJR.

https://radioinsight.com/ratings/detroit/

non-anon bob

Re: March Nielsen numbers are out for Detroit radio

Post by non-anon bob » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:51 pm

I predict that WLLZ (Wheels) will rise to at least a 4.5 share when the April numbers come out next month...I am delighted that CSX is starting to take a dive! :rollin

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:36 pm

Not sure one can or should call a very strong 2nd place finish a "dive."

I suspect CSX is still top three in A25 to 54 as well.

I will say mid 4's for WLLZ is within the realm of possibility next month. Would be interested in knowing how March's weekly breakouts looked.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:20 am

In all honesty, would a sports format really do worse than what GNASH is billing and drawing ratings wise?

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:13 am

Yes, see Detroit Sports 105.1. That did worse.

windsor

Post by windsor » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:43 am

3.4pretty respectable for a first showing.The station has legs.My prediction was a 2.8 - 3.0 .

My interest is the 2nd book after the excitement of the return of WLLZ wear off.Can they hold the numbers?

Lets see where they take this D&M podcast and I would still like them to shake up that playlist a little more.

Good job........106.7 Wheelz!!!!

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Detroit313

Post by Detroit313 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:26 pm

106.7 is killing it!

93.1 is the only station at the moment that is a complete flop. 106.7 and 98.7 improved their number with their flips.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:13 pm

WDFN has a big fat zero yet again! Even 1270 can pull minuscule ratings.

rizzman87

Post by rizzman87 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:53 am

Chrocket87 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:13 am
Yes, see Detroit Sports 105.1. That did worse.
All of us on here would've done a better job than the people that were paid to run it. With a smart PD another sports station WILL work here. With that said though with all 4 teams down and all of them locked in radio contracts for the next couple years this doesn't seem like the best time to have another sports station.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:40 am

If Cumulus had a brain (they don't), they would've flipped 93.1 to Classic Rock (beating 106.7 to the punch) or to Soft AC (beating 98.7 to the punch).

Putting a LOCAL show in A.M. Drive and focusing on country hits of the 90's & early 00's also would help...BIG TIME.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:06 am

We basically have library formats for most other types of music, so I don't see why there isn't classic country, going back to when country really got hot. Or if there is, why it's relegated to HD2 or lousy AM signals.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Silvio Dante

Post by Silvio Dante » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:55 am

Cumulus needs to put WJR on 93.1, their 24-54 audience is non existent, has been dropping dramatically in the past year.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:19 am

Sorry for the long winded opinion about WWJ and WJR...

I've stated this opinion before, but I feel like WJR's traffic and weather first on the 5's hurts them. WWJ's fast-moving format of moving from story to story allows them to regularly schedule traffic and weather on the 8's. But on WJR, conversations are just cut off for traffic and weather that takes way too long, followed by more commercials. I just can't get into it, and when I do, my focus is interrupted by these breaks. WJR sounds so incredibly rigid and predictable, and doesn't seem to make an effort to connect with its audience.

For programming, regardless of your own political affiliation, do stations with a very obvious political lean have much credibility with the entire potential audience in the entire Metro population? I feel like by being "the conservative station," or another liberal station for that matter, half of a potential audience is alienated. Considering our society is pretty close to 50/50 R vs. D, does this strategy catering to one political leaning compensate for listeners lost by the alienation? I understand WJR has been conservative for years, even when they were at the top of the ratings.

Paul W. is respectable, but has gotten boring over recent years. So many of his interviews with high people in obscure places aren't relevant to me. Frank is now the angry, paranoid old white man. Rush is, well, I won't comment on that as his show isn't produced by WJR. Guy Gordon is a great interviewer and has great insights and I think does a great job relating to his audience, but the show is a bit slow paced. Mitch's show usually starts 13 minutes after the hour after a grueling 13 minutes of news headlines, traffic/weather, and commercials, and there is lots of babble and breaks, even though I do like his more balanced and critical thinking than the rest. Mark Levin and Michael Savage are just unlistenable for me. I don't like listening to the yelling resulting from paranoia and fear.

WWJ has STRONG reports and many features, and is a great alternative to a local CBS TV station with news. When it was complained that our CBS TV station didn't have local news, someone here mentioned in the past that we don't need it - we have WWJ. I feel that's true.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:24 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:13 pm
WDFN has a big fat zero yet again! Even 1270 can pull minuscule ratings.
I was hoping WDFN would have moved their Wheels oldies format from 106.7 HD-3 onto 1130 when 106.7 adopted the Wheels name and format.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:36 am

I know, I know,, corporate radio and Cumeless would never do it, but I would love for a country station that went outside the box and played only real country. That is, a format that dives deep into the independent and off-music row scene in addition to playing major label country artists. A format that sticks to music that is only country and ditches the bro, pop, and hip-hop sounds of country. If the Luke Bryan's and Blake Shelton's of the world due happen to release actually country sound material I'd still play it, but I would ditch all of the pop and hip-hop influenced music they release from the library. I'd also throw in a classic cut from 1960-1989 once an hour and a 90's cut 1-2 times per hour.

I would brand the 90's country and classic songs thrown into the playlist as "flashbacks" and keep them to no more than a cut or two per hour.

A sample of artists played on a real country format would look something like this:

Major label artists (2000-Present): Aaron Watson, Ashley McBride, Ashley Monroe, Blake Shelton (only the country stuff), Brad Paisley, Brandy Clark, The Band Perry, Bradley Gaskin, Charlie Worsham, Chris Stapleton, Chris Young (again, only the country stuff), Cody Johnson, Craig Campbell, Dierks Bentley, Easton Corbin, Jamey Johnson, Joe Nichols, John Pardi, Josh Turner, Kacey Musgraves, Miranda Lambert, Midland, Mo Pitney, Randy Houser, William Michael Morgan, Zac Brown Band.

Independent label artists (1990-Present): Adam Hood, Angaleena Presley, The Avett Brothers, BR-549, Brandi Carlisle, The Cactus Blossoms, Cody Jinks, Dillon Carmichael, Holly Williams, Jason Eady, Jason Isbell, Josh Abbot Band, Kelcey Waldon, Lydia Loveless, Margo Price, Old 97's, Punch Brothers, Randy Rogers Band, Steve Earle, Sturgill Simpson, Sunny Sweeney, Turnpike Troubadours, Valerie June, Wade Bowen, Waldon Henson, Whitey Morgan & the 78's.

90's Country artists: Alan Jackson, Alison Krauss, Asleep at the Wheel, Brooks & Dunn, Clay Walker, Clint Black, Colin Raye, David Ball, The Dixie Chicks, Dwight Yoakam, Garth Brooks, Gary Allan, George Strait, Joe Diffie, John Michael Montgomery, LeAnn Rimes, LeeAnn Womack, Lonestar, Lorrie Morgan, Mark Chesnutt, The Mavericks, Patty Loveless, Reba McEntire, Sammy Kershaw, Shenandoah, Tim McGraw, Tracey Lawrence, Travis Tritt, Wade Hayes.

Classic country artists: Alabama, Buck Owens, Conway Twitty, Crystal Gayle, Dolly Parton, Don Williams, EmmyLou Harris, George Jones, Glen Campbell, Hank Williams Jr., Jessi Colter, June Carter, Johnny Cash, John Anderson, John Denver, Keith Whitley, Loretta Lynn, Marty Robbins, Merle Haggard, Patsy Cline, Randy Travis, Rodney Crowell, Roger Miller, Ronnie Milsap, Shelly West, Tammy Wynette, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson.

A four hour block of music, assuming 10-11 songs per hours, would look like this:
Home - Dierks Bentley
Could It Be - Charlie Worsham
Whatever It Is - Zac Brown Band
Tin Man - Mianda Lambert
If I Could Make a Livin' - Clay Walker
Missing - William Michael Morgan
Cover Me Up - Jason Isbell
Every Little Honkytonk Bar - George Strait
The Highway - Holly Williams
Forever and Ever Amen - Randy Travis
Merry Go Round - Kacey Musgraves

Doin' What She Likes - Blake Shelton
I Like, I Love It - Tim McGraw
Your Man - Josh Turner
Workin' Woman Blues - Valerie June
Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old) - Garth Brooks
Drinkin' Problem - Midland
Mr. Bartender - Bradley Gaskin
Good With God - Bradi Carlisle
Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys - Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson
Life of Sin - Sturgill Simpson
There Goes the Bride - BR-549

Drink a Beer - Luke Bryan
Weed Instead of Roses - Ashley Monroe
Chattahoochee - Alan Jackson
The World - Brad Paisley
Weekender - Margo Price
I Gotta Get Drunk - George Jones
Tequila Eyes - Randy Rogers Band
When I Woke Up Today - Wade Bowen
Wide Open Spaces - Dixie Chicks
A Little More Country Than That - Easton Corbin

Toes - Zac Brown Band
Blue Clear Sky - George Strait
Down the Road - Kenny Chensey
Hell On Heels - Pistol Annies (Miranda Lambert's female group)
Walk the Line (Live at Folsom Prison) - Johnny Cash
Why I Left Atlanta - Jason Eady
Gimme That Girl - Joe Nichols
Better Bad Idea - Sunny Sweeney
Old Songs Like That - Dillion Carmichael
Fancy - Reba McEntire

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic