Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mike Valenti

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
borderboy653659200

Re: Mike Valenti

Post by borderboy653659200 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:35 am

Yeah,craig11152, he's the (well,a ) poster boy for the sort of sports talk bozo who wouldn't have been permitted to clean a radio station boys' room,let alone be allowed airtime,when I was a boy and young man in the 50's through the 80's .

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:48 am

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:23 pm
Why is he hated so much on this board? It seems like some really go crazy when his name is mentioned. I know he can be tough, but he’s very knowledgeable when it comes to sports. He’s a great radio personality.
He's one of the smartest guys in sports radio. If he focused on analysis, I'd listen to him regularly.

Here's what I don't like:
  • His constant need to stir up anger with non-stop criticism of people and teams.
  • The non-sports talk.
  • The constant references to his east coast teams like the Celtics and the Yankees. Does he think that Detroit listeners really want to hear about that?
  • His obvious desire to be a national sport stalk host by his unwillingness to talk about Detroit teams as much as other hosts on 97.1.
But you hit the nail on the head when you called him a great radio personality. That's probably the main thing that has generated the ratings that keep him on the air.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:09 am

Bobbert,Valenti's the Izzo of Detroit sports talk,which is why he defended his fellow Italian-American's bullying of young Aaron Henry in Sparty's comeback win over Bradley . (Of course,because Valenti's basically a bully,he'd have defended ANY coach who behaved in such a disgusting manner towards a player .)

just interested

Post by just interested » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:25 pm

I've been listening to 97.1 on Radio.com at work. Personally, I think Karsch and Anderson are the best hosts on that station and I think Kang does a fantastic job. They are knowledgable and funny.

Valenti is just flat out tiring at this point. I definitely don't agree that he's a great radio personality, because he doesn't have any. The station is obviously married to him. You can't listen to a show on 97.1 without him being on it at some point. All of the station breaks on Radio.com are heavily dominated by promotions for his show. They are hard to listen to because they are obviously pulling bits that they think are funny. He isn't funny...at all. The guy has absolutely no sense of humor. Karsch, Anderson and Kang are funny. Genuinely funny. You can tell they are having a good time and it's not forced. The bits they play from Valenti's show aren't funny and the "minions" are in the background forcing out some laughter. It's hard to listen to.

I agree he does a lot of schtick. I'm sure he would deny it, but that's what it is. Tired, lame schtick. He can not talk about MSU without bringing Michigan or Michigan fans into the conversation, and it's always negative.
Gator hates Michigan and the only way I know it is because he has said it. He can actually talk about MSU and keep the conversation focused on MSU. He also doesn't constantly remind you that he hates Michigan. I was listening to him for years before I heard him say it. Previous to that, whenever he discussed Michigan, I had no idea he hated them. Hating Michigan is all a part of Valenti's schtick, but it's sad because he can't talk about his own team without it devolving into a hate diatribe about Michigan and their fans.

I'll listen to the morning show. They're funnier than Valenti and knowledgable and rational. Jamie Samuelsson is a much better personality than Valenti, so is Stony. Gov. is damn good as well. I'll obviously listen to Karsch and Anderson, but when it's about five minutes to two and Valenti invades their show I have to turn it off. That's when I switch to Drew and Mike's podcast.

I really don't get why Valenti is popular, unless you're a State fan and are obsessed with hating Michigan. I've lived in this state for 50 years, so I do understand that there are a good number of State fans that would enjoy that schtick. Their glee at seeing Michigan fail outweighs the happiness they get from an MSU success. I guess Valenti understands that too and has used it as his vehicle.

He'd be a better show host if just kept away from humor and stuck to sports. His attempts at humor are painful. I still wouldn't listen to him, but at least we wouldn't get those show promotions trying to frame him as a funny man.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic