Acceptable registrations in the queue through October 17 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 15299

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by Deleted User 15299 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:48 am

I wouldn't mind the variety hits format, The D 2.0 coming back. I loved that station!



szmigiel
Posts: 184
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:52 am

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by szmigiel » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:16 am

Such a limited play list for trying to have such a wide range of music. Every band is boiled down to about 3 or 4 songs for big names, and 1 or 2 songs for everyone else. Even the deep cuts seem to repeat a lot.
WLLZ is flat.



JLesinski
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 11:43 pm

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by JLesinski » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:33 pm

szmigiel wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:16 am
Such a limited play list for trying to have such a wide range of music. Every band is boiled down to about 3 or 4 songs for big names, and 1 or 2 songs for everyone else. Even the deep cuts seem to repeat a lot.
WLLZ is flat.
Its a joke. They're trying to keep everyone happy and thats just not gonna happen. Pick a lane and just do it! They could own this city with a better playlist of kick ass rock and roll from the 80's and 90's. So much great music in that 20 years and yet they throw the same tired safe corporate approved songs at us over and over. Fuck them.



Mega Hertz
Posts: 1136
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:24 am

Because I have so much time on my hands these days, I'm going through all of my records and tapes and CDs, and happened across a few lost bands that used to get airplay way back when, how about some of these added to WLLZ?

-Cry of Love (I can even remember Z-Rock playing "Too Cold in the Winter")
-Brother Cane
-Jackyl
-Ugly Kid Joe

Those right there have at least 6-8 total songs (if not more) that would add some much needed 90s mainstream rock spins.

MW, any thoughts on any of those song choices? These wouldn't hurt alongside increased spins of Tool, Pantera, maybe some early 90s Megadeth.


"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

User avatar
windsor
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:27 pm
Location: In OZZy"s BoneYard.....

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by windsor » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:59 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:24 am
Because I have so much time on my hands these days, I'm going through all of my records and tapes and CDs, and happened across a few lost bands that used to get airplay way back when, how about some of these added to WLLZ?

-Cry of Love (I can even remember Z-Rock playing "Too Cold in the Winter")
-Brother Cane
-Jackyl
-Ugly Kid Joe

Those right there have at least 6-8 total songs (if not more) that would add some much needed 90s mainstream rock spins.

MW, any thoughts on any of those song choices? These wouldn't hurt alongside increased spins of Tool, Pantera, maybe some early 90s Megadeth.
Have to agree with you, I like the song choices.

I think for Cry of Love they could go with "Peace Pipe" here's my adds that I don't think would be ratings killers for them....

Crue--Without you
Vince Neil--sister of pain
Drivin & Cryin--Fly me courageous
Whitesnake--love aint no stranger
Poison--Unskinny Bop
Uriah Heep--Easy Livin
Rainbow--all night long
Deep Purple --Highway star
Ozzy--Perry Mason
Queensryche--I don't Beleive in Love
Y&T--summertime Girls
Kiss--Domino
Alice Cooper--Poison
Extreme --Hole Hearted
Four Horsemen--Rockin is my business

New Gen of Classic Rock

More 90's Metallica
Monster Magnet
White Zombie
Saliva--the Razors Edge
Alice/Chains--angry chair
Faith No More--Last Cup of Sorrow

Add Screamin Scott to Morn Drive, morn needs a high energy boost from Bill's monotone voice he makes me more tired on the way to work than I already am.Scotty fits that bill.....

Glad to see WLLZ hangin tough with a 3.2 increase, but a few tweaks are needed imo to fight a stale playlist.


WLLZ needs to bring Sreaming Scott to Morning's on 106.7

Mega Hertz
Posts: 1136
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:21 pm

Windsor-

You can get Peace Pipe and Bad Thing from Cry of Love
Jackyl? Sheeeit, Down on Me, Lumberjack, Dirty Little Mind, I Stand Alone
Stinkfist from Tool should be a shoe-in. Heavy rotation at WRIF back when.

Are these songs even researched? Or are they researched and flop? I'd love to know for sure. I think it's the songs that test well NATIONALLY, and therein lies the rub. They got past the "what works in LA doesn't work in Detroit" thing by doing the lowest common denominator. So many great other songs by the likes of STP, Sponge, Offspring that sit by the wayside.

But...MOTLEY CRUE!


"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

User avatar
windsor
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:27 pm
Location: In OZZy"s BoneYard.....

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by windsor » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:19 pm

Mega, your a man after my own heart , were in the same ballpark playlist wise for a station like WLLZ.

And some good questions which we probably will never know on why this song or that song didn't cut it.

sorry about my list a lot of time on my hands, just songs that Ive never heard on Wheelz that would fit the "Classic Rock that Rocks" format.


WLLZ needs to bring Sreaming Scott to Morning's on 106.7

Mega Hertz
Posts: 1136
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:12 pm

I try not to go TOO deep; I get that it's a familiarity game. So I'm not trying to pull random album tracks out of my ass, you know? I'm trying to stick to tunes most people would know and remember. It just bugs me because I'm so happy to have WLLZ back, but it could be so much more.


"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

JLesinski
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 11:43 pm

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by JLesinski » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:12 pm
I try not to go TOO deep; I get that it's a familiarity game. So I'm not trying to pull random album tracks out of my ass, you know? I'm trying to stick to tunes most people would know and remember. It just bugs me because I'm so happy to have WLLZ back, but it could be so much more.
Yes, that is it EXACTLY! Nobody is asking them to play songs nobody knows or cares about. They have 20 years of great music in the 80's and 90's that could create an awesome, rotating playlist of songs people know and love- without the overplayed songs everyone is sick of. Honestly, how many times dos Detroit need to hear "Back in Black"?



bobhuge
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:03 pm
Location: The Thumb
Contact:

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by bobhuge » Fri May 01, 2020 9:08 pm

Stream www.classicrocki92.com (WIDL app from google). Your prayers will be answered.



innate-in-you
Posts: 491
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:54 am

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by innate-in-you » Sun May 03, 2020 11:17 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:54 pm
But is there a CLASSIC country ?
(Pre 2000 ONLY)
You make me wish WWWW (AM) never flipped to being WDFN. They were a nice alternative to the other country stations who rode the mechanical bull.



User avatar
Colonel Flagg
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun May 03, 2020 3:34 pm

JLesinski wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:52 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:12 pm
I try not to go TOO deep; I get that it's a familiarity game. So I'm not trying to pull random album tracks out of my ass, you know? I'm trying to stick to tunes most people would know and remember. It just bugs me because I'm so happy to have WLLZ back, but it could be so much more.
Yes, that is it EXACTLY! Nobody is asking them to play songs nobody knows or cares about. They have 20 years of great music in the 80's and 90's that could create an awesome, rotating playlist of songs people know and love- without the overplayed songs everyone is sick of. Honestly, how many times dos Detroit need to hear "Back in Black"?
As noted previously, a lot of the 80s/90s AOR acts do not have a very big catalog. Yes, WLLZ played songs like these:

Blue Murder "Jelly Roll"
Honeymoon Suite "Feel it Again"
Saraya "Love has taken it's Toll"
Smithereens "Blood & Roses"
Grateful Dead "Touch of Grey"
Siren "All is Forgiven"
Tyketto "Seasons"
Donnie Iris "Love is Like a Rock"

I would guess it's been years since any of these titles, or similar tracks have been tested using any form of research. They are just examples off the top of my head, so no need to bash if you think they are stiffs. They were not. I would be careful about adding a lot of stuff played on long gone stations like 97-1 Extreme Radio. The "Heavy Metal Rap" titles, blended with Classic Rock would lead to a lot of trainwreck segues. If Wheels' target is WCSX, that's not good.

Wheels was never a station that exclusively played head banging rock for factory rats. The odd thing that I see is that today's Wheels sounds an awful lot like the Wheels of the early-mid 90s, when Jeff Pollack was consulting, and the station was basically running on fumes.

WCSX is beatable, with both weak and carpet bagger air talent. But a half assed effort is not going to do the job. Personally, I would track down John Larson, the creator of the original WLLZ, and ask him to consult. He's not hard to find...he's in Tampa.


"Nobody can get the truth out of me because even I don't know what it is. I keep myself in a constant state of utter confusion."

Mega Hertz
Posts: 1136
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:55 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:34 pm
JLesinski wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:52 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:12 pm
I try not to go TOO deep; I get that it's a familiarity game. So I'm not trying to pull random album tracks out of my ass, you know? I'm trying to stick to tunes most people would know and remember. It just bugs me because I'm so happy to have WLLZ back, but it could be so much more.
Yes, that is it EXACTLY! Nobody is asking them to play songs nobody knows or cares about. They have 20 years of great music in the 80's and 90's that could create an awesome, rotating playlist of songs people know and love- without the overplayed songs everyone is sick of. Honestly, how many times dos Detroit need to hear "Back in Black"?
As noted previously, a lot of the 80s/90s AOR acts do not have a very big catalog. Yes, WLLZ played songs like these:

Blue Murder "Jelly Roll"
Honeymoon Suite "Feel it Again"
Saraya "Love has taken it's Toll"
Smithereens "Blood & Roses"
Grateful Dead "Touch of Grey"
Siren "All is Forgiven"
Tyketto "Seasons"
Donnie Iris "Love is Like a Rock"

I would guess it's been years since any of these titles, or similar tracks have been tested using any form of research. They are just examples off the top of my head, so no need to bash if you think they are stiffs. They were not. I would be careful about adding a lot of stuff played on long gone stations like 97-1 Extreme Radio. The "Heavy Metal Rap" titles, blended with Classic Rock would lead to a lot of trainwreck segues. If Wheels' target is WCSX, that's not good.

Wheels was never a station that exclusively played head banging rock for factory rats. The odd thing that I see is that today's Wheels sounds an awful lot like the Wheels of the early-mid 90s, when Jeff Pollack was consulting, and the station was basically running on fumes.

WCSX is beatable, with both weak and carpet bagger air talent. But a half assed effort is not going to do the job. Personally, I would track down John Larson, the creator of the original WLLZ, and ask him to consult. He's not hard to find...he's in Tampa.
That would be great. Because if we hear Fight For Your Right To Party, we know it's somewhere between 7:45 and 8:00am.


"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

JLesinski
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 11:43 pm

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by JLesinski » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:42 pm

I dont really listen too much anymore. Are they still trying to say that theyre "The new generation of classic rock!" and then play "Bohemian Rhapsody?



Mega Hertz
Posts: 1136
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:19 pm

JLesinski wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:42 pm
I dont really listen too much anymore. Are they still trying to say that theyre "The new generation of classic rock!" and then play "Bohemian Rhapsody?
Yep. Green Day to Journey segues. Bad Company to Beastie Boys segues. Setting your watch to Bohemian Rhapsody. Oh well. Should have known better. At least we have the calls back, in name only.


"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic