Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:39 pm

Side note:

This isn't a bitch at WLLZ, maybe more for WCSX (or the format in general), but after going through my albums tonight, it seemed to me that I haven't heard much in the way of progressive rock around much the last few years. Emerson, Lake and Palmer used to be a mainstay on CSX, stuff like Yes. Rush is pretty limited to Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. It could be the evolution (if you can call it that) so all of that tested out, even most of 80s Genesis is gone.

It's okay, though. Bands like Great White, Warrant, Winger and solo David Lee Roth need more spins.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:01 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:39 pm
Side note:

This isn't a bitch at WLLZ, maybe more for WCSX (or the format in general), but after going through my albums tonight, it seemed to me that I haven't heard much in the way of progressive rock around much the last few years. Emerson, Lake and Palmer used to be a mainstay on CSX, stuff like Yes. Rush is pretty limited to Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. It could be the evolution (if you can call it that) so all of that tested out, even most of 80s Genesis is gone.

It's okay, though. Bands like Great White, Warrant, Winger and solo David Lee Roth need more spins.
I agree. Although, Roundabout was overplayed to death, it's been a long time since I've heard it. I wouldn't mind hearing it again. Lucky Man and Hoedown would be a welcome reprieve from the constant butt rock.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:09 am

I agree, there too much Hair Metal on Classic Rock Radio. That being said I heard Metal Health on WCSX today and I started laughing. It's so silly and overblown that it's funny, ("I'm wearing leather for power. I'm going to rock it till it strikes the hour.")

(RIP Kevin Dubrow)

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:11 am

[quote="Mega Hertz" post_id=623759 time=1597286365 user_id=9693]
Side note:

I
[/quote]
Jethro Tull also seems to be completely gone.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:42 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:11 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Side note:

I
As the decades move along so does the formats. Classic Rock today is not the same Classic Rock from what was played on WCSX when it debuted in 1987 when it was introduced in Detroit. Which was 33 years ago. 60’s and 70’s Classic Rock is what you heard, now it’s 80’s,90’s and 00’s. The same is for what was Oldies stations which have become Classic Hits, Oldies where 60’s and 70’s and Classic Hits (which are now the new Oldies)70’s 80’s and 90’s.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:37 pm

Lucky615 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:42 pm
sfpcc wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
Side note:

I
As the decades move along so does the formats. Classic Rock today is not the same Classic Rock from what was played on WCSX when it debuted in 1987 when it was introduced in Detroit. Which was 33 years ago. 60’s and 70’s Classic Rock is what you heard, now it’s 80’s,90’s and 00’s. The same is for what was Oldies stations which have become Classic Hits, Oldies where 60’s and 70’s and Classic Hits (which are now the new Oldies)70’s 80’s and 90’s.
I dont think anyone denies that formats evolve. Personally, what aggravates me is not that WLLZ plays that older stuff-its that they try to say that they are a "NEW generation of classic rock." Fine, then assemble your playlist accordingly. Dont say that and then load your playlist with Bohemian Rhapsody and other overplayed geriatric hits.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:52 pm

JLesinski wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:37 pm
Lucky615 wrote:
sfpcc wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
Side note:

I
I dont think anyone denies that formats evolve. Personally, what aggravates me is not that WLLZ plays that older stuff-its that they try to say that they are a "NEW generation of classic rock." Fine, then assemble your playlist accordingly. Dont say that and then load your playlist with Bohemian Rhapsody and other overplayed geriatric hits.
It’s the same across the country, for example WBOS 92.9 in Boston a Beasley station has a similar playlist. It’s all the same cookie cutter formats. This is one main ingredient that’s literally killing radio. It’s time to give radio back to the listeners.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:19 pm

I heard Heartbreaker by Pat Benatar today. Not a bad song, but not right for the format. Leave that to CSX. Replace that with Stinkfist by Tool.

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:13 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:01 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Side note:

I agree. Although, Roundabout was overplayed to death, it's been a long time since I've heard it. I wouldn't mind hearing it again. Lucky Man and Hoedown would be a welcome reprieve from the constant butt rock.
Bryce, I have to admit that I'm shocked. I didn't realize you liked ANYTHING progressive ;)

-TurkeyTop

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:33 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:13 pm

Bryce, I have to admit that I'm shocked. I didn't realize you liked ANYTHING progressive ;)
Hey every so often I get tired of Bing Crosby and Eddie Albert and take a walk on the wild side. Ooops, hope I don't get sued by Lou Reed's estate. Speaking of Lou Reed, believe it or not, I really like the Reed/Metallica collaboration.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:58 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:19 pm
I heard Heartbreaker by Pat Benatar today. Not a bad song, but not right for the format. Leave that to CSX. Replace that with Stinkfist by Tool.
If WLLZ's target was WRIF, that strategy would make sense, but the target is WCSX. When the original WLLZ appeared on scene, 1980-81, they had H*** female numbers. I suspect that's why you're hearing so much Journey, Benatar, and even Bryan Adams on WLLZ. What they are missing is that the high female numbers had a lot to do with the whole package, not just a few female friendly tunes sprinkled in here and there.

The Prog songs disappeared 10 to 15 years ago. It would be interesting to see the research on that. Even in Orlando, we played Tull, ELP, and Yes. At WIOT, Jethro Tull had a new album out in '87 and it was H***. At some point, AOR, and Classic Rock began aiming for the lowest common denominator.

Back in Lansing, the original MMQ often played Donovan "Mellow Yellow" and 60s tunes by The Kinks, The Animals, and even The Byrds. That stuff was shelved long ago, mercifully.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Realist

Post by Realist » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:21 pm

Anything that is the “next generation of classic rock” needs to be 90’s and 00’s with a touch of late 80’s but NO HAIR BANDS. The beginnings of grunge and alternative mixed in with the beginnings of the active rock scene. Make it a mix of what Lansing’s Buzz 95 sounded like when they went on the air, along with what SXM’S Turbo and Lithium (somewhat) sound like now. Hell, I’m 54 and I listen to Turbo the most on SXM (can’t get enough Tool)....

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:38 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:33 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:13 pm

Hey every so often I get tired of Bing Crosby and Eddie Albert and take a walk on the wild side. Ooops, hope I don't get sued by Lou Reed's estate. Speaking of Lou Reed, believe it or not, I really like the Reed/Metallica collaboration.
Those whipper snappers and their Moby Grape.

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:39 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:58 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:19 pm
If WLLZ's target was WRIF, that strategy would make sense, but the target is WCSX. When the original WLLZ appeared on scene, 1980-81, they had H*** female numbers. I suspect that's why you're hearing so much Journey, Benatar, and even Bryan Adams on WLLZ. What they are missing is that the high female numbers had a lot to do with the whole package, not just a few female friendly tunes sprinkled in here and there.

The Prog songs disappeared 10 to 15 years ago. It would be interesting to see the research on that. Even in Orlando, we played Tull, ELP, and Yes. At WIOT, Jethro Tull had a new album out in '87 and it was H***. At some point, AOR, and Classic Rock began aiming for the lowest common denominator.

Back in Lansing, the original MMQ often played Donovan "Mellow Yellow" and 60s tunes by The Kinks, The Animals, and even The Byrds. That stuff was shelved long ago, mercifully.
Which is all fine and good, but again, it's the positioner. What are they doing here? Are they trying to be the original LLZ or are they the NEW generation of classic rock? This is closer to a shuffle format than anything!

-TurkeyTop

scifi and horror

Post by scifi and horror » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:40 am

Lucky615 wrote:
As the decades move along so does the formats. Classic Rock today is not the same Classic Rock from what was played on WCSX when it debuted in 1987 when it was introduced in Detroit.
The problem is the format just gets narrowed down to fewer and fewer bands and fewer and fewer songs.

I almost hate to admit it, but if WLLZ dropped the Arena Rock and Hair Metal from their format. Then concentrated with Grunge, Emo, and Nu Metal of the 90's and 2000, I will probably enjoy the change for a month or two, then be completely sick of the format after that. But that is just me, WCSX is #1 and I can't listen to them for more than a song or two before I skip to the next station.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic