Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Should Detroit be home to an ABC and NBC O&O too?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 7620

Should Detroit be home to an ABC and NBC O&O too?

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:30 pm

I can deal with WXYZ going back to being an ABC O&O, as I feel the station still operates as an network O&O, even after 33 years.

However, I’m not sure if I could deal with WDIV being an NBC O&O. The station is insufferable enough as it is. I’m concerned it would be even more unbearable as an NBC station, given how liberal NBC is. I’m more Democratic than Republican, but NBC can be too much at times, with its news coverage.

We already have a Fox O&O, a CBS O&O, and a CW O&O. Having an O&O of all five networks would be uncharted territory for the Detroit market.

borderboy653659200

Re: Should Detroit be home to an ABC and NBC O&O too?

Post by borderboy653659200 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:38 pm

Well,as long as it isn't infested with Trump apologists,I guess that's all right. Democratic ? DIXIEcratic,perhaps ?

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:00 am

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:30 pm
I can deal with WXYZ going back to being an ABC O&O, as I feel the station still operates as an network O&O, even after 33 years.

However, I’m not sure if I could deal with WDIV being an NBC O&O. The station is insufferable enough as it is. I’m concerned it would be even more unbearable as an NBC station, given how liberal NBC is. I’m more Democratic than Republican, but NBC can be too much at times, with its news coverage.

We already have a Fox O&O, a CBS O&O, and a CW O&O. Having an O&O of all five networks would be uncharted territory for the Detroit market.
As we continue to sink like a stone I wouldn’t count on it unless Graham sells out or Scripps needs cash fast...

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:25 am

NS8401 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:00 am
CircleWXYZ wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:30 pm

As we continue to sink like a stone I wouldn’t count on it unless Graham sells out or Scripps needs cash fast...

I can’t see Scripps selling anytime soon, as the brand is expanding. Now Graham is a a different story. I don’t think they are doing as well as expected. I feel NBC wants to get into the Detroit market, to challenge Fox. WJBK and FS Detroit are both powerhouses for Fox.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:37 am

We all see how well the CBS O&O is going - not even a suitable newscast- compare that to WJBK circa 1979 when their news, as a CBS station, could compete along side Bonds, Kelly, Turner, Ackerman.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:39 am

Sink like a stone ? Roger Stone ? YEAH,BUDDY!!!!!!!!!

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:24 am

WOHO wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:37 am
We all see how well the CBS O&O is going - not even a suitable newscast- compare that to WJBK circa 1979 when their news, as a CBS station, could compete along side Bonds, Kelly, Turner, Ackerman.

Well, WXYZ was an ABC O&O in 1979, and they were tops in the Detroit market. WJBK is doing great as a Fox O&O.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:38 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:24 am
WOHO wrote:

Well, WXYZ was an ABC O&O in 1979, and they were tops in the Detroit market. WJBK is doing great as a Fox O&O.
Where they not also the highest-rated ABC station in ANY market with all big-three networks?

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:44 pm

Why? What’s the difference if it O&O or another company owns the station the programming is going to be the same.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:05 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:38 pm
CircleWXYZ wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:24 am
WOHO wrote:

Where they not also the highest-rated ABC station in ANY market with all big-three networks?
WXYZ was the highest rated ABC O&O in the 70s

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:06 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:44 pm
Why? What’s the difference if it O&O or another company owns the station the programming is going to be the same.
A station that’s network O&O has to air the entire network’s lineup. No preemptions.

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:50 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:06 pm
A station that’s network O&O has to air the entire network’s lineup. No preemptions.
100% false. Look no further to WLS-TV Chicago regularly preempting ABC programming for Cubs baseball. There are countless other examples of network owned & operated TV stations airing alternate programming.

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:50 pm

Howard Jones wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:50 pm
CircleWXYZ wrote:
100% false. Look no further to WLS-TV Chicago regularly preempting ABC programming for Cubs baseball. There are countless other examples of network owned & operated TV stations airing alternate programming.
Even WXYZ itself, back in it's O&O days, preempted The Edge Of Night after it moved to ABC.

However, do keep in mind that during the 1990's realignment, new clauses were inserted into affiliation contracts that reduced the amount of preemptions each station was allowed to make per year. Then you have the Reform Act of 1996 which evicted out adjacent-market locals on a number of cable systems thanks to these new clauses - WNWO-TV Toledo was removed from TCI's Woodhaven and Gibraltar lineups in 1997 because WDIV was allowed to do so.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:49 am

Howard Jones wrote:
CircleWXYZ wrote:
Actually, there’s some truth to it. About 12 years ago, when WJBK aired a portion of Tigers games, they didn’t air a full Tigers game, because Fox was airing something else. I called the Station and asked why there was a delay, and they said Fox wouldn’t let them go to the start of the game. They said they had to do it, because they are Fox owned and operated. Now other networks maybe less strict with their stations, but apparently, Fox is strict.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:00 am

Howard Jones wrote:
CircleWXYZ wrote:
However, you are right. I remember CBS 62 preempting CBS programs to show Lions Football a few years ago. I think CBS, ABC, and NBC are all less strict with their O&Os than Fox is. But even Fox maybe less strict nowadays. Didn’t Fox 2 preempt Fox programming to show Lions preseason football, recently?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic