All accepted registrations through November 23 at 9:00a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
SteveS
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:03 am

Re: Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Post by SteveS » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:29 am

wrote:There was no EAS alert on Comcrap cable.
I got it three times with Spectrum. Once that included the county I live in and twice for other Michigan counties that I don't live in which is common and annoying.



BeerMan
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:19 pm

Re: Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Post by BeerMan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:32 am

They sent it because there was a fire at a Consumers Energy facility. Natural gas production is shut down and they are asking people to reduce use as a rationing measure.



User avatar
Lickalime
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:29 pm
Location: Clarkston, MI

Re: Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Post by Lickalime » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:29 am

Someone on my FB suggested local businesses close for the day. I imagine Great Lakes Crossing is drawing quite a bit of power off the grid. If local malls and larger businesses closed, wouldn't that be beneficial to residents and we could turn our heat up a tad? Our heat is set to 62 for the day. It's cold in my house. Although, the layout a square footage doesn't help my situation much. I'd happily turn my heat way down if I could run my two gas fireplaces. That would heat my house nicely. Fireplaces won't even turn on.



lovinlife101
Posts: 2897
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Post by lovinlife101 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:29 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:35 pm
If everyone turns their thermostat up because it's their right, I hope they enjoy themselves when the infrastructure can't handle it and breaks down in the worst cold snap of the year. I wish some people on this planet acted more like a team rather than only looking out for themselves and flexing their "power".
Here’s they funny thing, people’s furnaces are already running non-stop. Turn it to 60, 65, 70, or 100, when it’s this cold out, furnaces run non-stop.

Oh, and nothing will break down. It would have already if that was the case. Do you believe everything people with more power than you tell you?



User avatar
Ed Joseph
Posts: 425
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:27 pm

Re: Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Post by Ed Joseph » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:04 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:29 am
Do you believe everything people with more power than you tell you?
Absolutely not. Never have and never will. And you are right about furnaces running non-stop. Mine is on 71 and runs at least eight times an hour right now. Turning it down to 65 would probably result in frozen pipes, to be honest.


I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

User avatar
Ed Joseph
Posts: 425
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:27 pm

Re: Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Post by Ed Joseph » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:07 pm

I think this might have got overlooked... still wondering.
Ed Joseph wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:02 am
That said, is there a site on the tendernet where you can view EAS messages which have been sent via terrestrial media?


I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 2411
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:11 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:16 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 am
The State of Michigan sent the alert at Consumers' request.

I think Consumers doesn't want to have to pay DTE for natural gas. Their systems are interconnected. If Consumers had to pay DTE for emergency supply, Consumers would have to eat that cost.

Would love to know why Consumers' compression station had an incident. Recall a Consumers gas main ruptured and caused a massive explosion in Auburn Hills a couple years ago.
This makes sense. I was wondering why I received the Consumers message, considering that I have DTE. I also did not lower the temp, but I have it set at 68 anyway.
I disagree slightly. We are being urged to conserve gas as a DTE customer (near the pumping station in Kalkaska). It's not that they don't have the gas, its maintaining pressure in delivery at higher volumes. Think of a pump next to Lake Michigan going out... there is still plenty of water to be had, just a compromised delivery system.

I figured out this only impacts the Detroit area. If everyone ignores the request, and rolling outages are needed, it won't impact the North. Now, DTE and Consumers collaborate in the Metro area quite a bit.

Image


© 2019 TC Talks ltd. Assembled in U.S.A.

Deleted User 8570

Re: Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:37 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:29 am
ZenithCKLW wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:35 pm
If everyone turns their thermostat up because it's their right, I hope they enjoy themselves when the infrastructure can't handle it and breaks down in the worst cold snap of the year. I wish some people on this planet acted more like a team rather than only looking out for themselves and flexing their "power".
Here’s they funny thing, people’s furnaces are already running non-stop. Turn it to 60, 65, 70, or 100, when it’s this cold out, furnaces run non-stop.

Oh, and nothing will break down. It would have already if that was the case. Do you believe everything people with more power than you tell you?
So you know nothing about anything...

First off your furnace will use naturally use less energy trying to keep your house at a cooler temperature. This works because a cooler temperature is quicker and easier to achieve regardless of what’s happening outside. It’ll also take less energy to maintain it.

Secondly things can break down at any time for any reason. Just because it hasn’t broken down doesn’t mean it somehow never will. You lose and this time you have nothing.



Mike Oxlong
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:56 am
Location: Nankin Township

Re: Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Post by Mike Oxlong » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:10 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:29 am
Here’s they funny thing, people’s furnaces are already running non-stop. Turn it to 60, 65, 70, or 100, when it’s this cold out, furnaces run non-stop.
Well, I turned it down from 68 to 65 when Gretchen told me. I'm so submissive.
My furnace at 68 was running about 30% of the time.
My furnace at 65 is running about 20% of the time. I turned it down last night, and actually got up during the night to check because I hadn't heard it come on in awhile. And it's comfortable at 65 for me. I'm off today because of the weather (and getting paid). Flopping around the house in a hoodie and flannel pj's.
Last edited by Mike Oxlong on Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Mike Oxlong
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:56 am
Location: Nankin Township

Re: Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Post by Mike Oxlong » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:29 pm

Same here.
Last edited by Mike Oxlong on Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.



lovinlife101
Posts: 2897
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Post by lovinlife101 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:09 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:32 pm
If your house is a decent temp, you don't turn it up!!

Save energy and the life of your heater for when there is an emergency

LL101, I have to say you are wrong for once.
(and no this isn't about taking sides. It's about using logical and critical thinking.)
Disagreement is healthy. Nothing wrong with that.



lovinlife101
Posts: 2897
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Post by lovinlife101 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:11 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:00 am
MLive had a good article about this.

I think the edict had more to do with lowering system overload than the Ray Twp fire.

There are multiple storage reservoirs at the Ray Twp site. Only one was emptied as a result of the fire. Ability to tap the other reservoirs will be restored either today or tomorrow.

So, when the fake news media proclaim 64 percent of Consumers' reserves have been depleted, they are full of shit. Yes, less natural gas is accessible at the moment, but this is only a very temporary condition.
100% agree. Logic, reason, no panic. I love it!



lovinlife101
Posts: 2897
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Post by lovinlife101 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:13 pm

Ed Joseph wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:04 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:29 am
Do you believe everything people with more power than you tell you?
Absolutely not. Never have and never will. And you are right about furnaces running non-stop. Mine is on 71 and runs at least eight times an hour right now. Turning it down to 65 would probably result in frozen pipes, to be honest.
Keep those pipes from freezing. Turn it up!



stopnswop2
Posts: 2628
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:08 pm
Location: Novi, MI
Contact:

Re: Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:14 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:29 pm
stopnswop2 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:56 pm
I got the emergency alert on my phone about an hour ago, saying to lower it to 65 degrees
Well, bless your heart.
Excuse me??


Music is my life.

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 5280
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:16 pm

LL101 probably thinks a car engine consumes the same amount of fuel when driving 100 mph as 30 mph. :lol:

Extreme analogy, I realize, but less natural gas is consumed based on a few degree reduction to the 'stat.

There's a reason people turn down the 'stat when they leave for work. Less energy consumption = lower gas bills.

That's a cool map, TC Talks. Thanks for posting that!


Fire Blashill!!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic