Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Crooked Detroit news media give preferential treatment to DMC?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Crooked Detroit news media give preferential treatment to DMC?

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:07 am

This should be a GIGANTIC story. Two major hospitals in the City of Detroit are on the verge of completely losing all Medicare and Medicaid funding, something that happens very rarely across the country and is the result of filthy conditions liable to spread bacterial & other infections.

The Detroit News - to its credit - reported on this story a couple days ago, but it is now difficult to the report on its web site (far less consequential stories remain prominently displayed on the home page for days on end). Oh yeah, this week's report wasn't even in the NEWS section, it was in the BUSINESS section. :rolleyes

The Freep reported on these issues in late November, but provided ZERO coverage of the follow-up inspection.

I've not heard or seen squat from either 2, 4, 7 or WWJ. Did station management tie news department staffers' hands here? After all, DMC is or has been a major advertiser on all of the above stations over the years.

The lack of local media coverage on this matter is stunning, and reminds me of how they all turned a blind eye to the Flint Water Crisis for many weeks after NPR, Huff Post, CBS and others were already reporting on that situation profusely.

Art Van Damme

Re: Crooked Detroit news media give preferential treatment to DMC?

Post by Art Van Damme » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:19 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:07 am

I've not heard or seen squat from either 2, 4, 7 or WWJ. Did station management tie news department staffers' hands here? After all, DMC is or has been a major advertiser on all of the above stations over the years.

The lack of local media coverage on this matter is stunning, and reminds me of how they all turned a blind eye to the Flint Water Crisis for many weeks after NPR, Huff Post, CBS and others were already reporting on that situation profusely.
I think you answered your own question.
Think about it. You could see the DMC name everywhere: sponsoring pro sports, ads on tv, all that. Why would management of a tv station, who receives all those DMC ad dollars, allow the news department to report a potential “bad publicity” story, potentially risking future ad buys?
The bigger issue is, as I see it, is when will Metro Detroit get local, hard journalism reporting again? So much of it is “bought and paid-for by the corporate home team”. If it pisses off Big Brother, you ain’t gonna hear about it.

Silvio Dante

Post by Silvio Dante » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:12 am

It's shameful how all of the big media companies protect advertisers that get into trouble. From the local level to national,you won't see much reporting on the drug companies price gouging or their guilt in the opioid crises as long as newscasts are full of drug company advertising. Beaumont was fined millions for kickbacks to doctors and that didn't get any coverage either.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:08 pm

Art Van Dammer,corporate media crawls into bed with its moneyed masters (and mistresses of both sorts),thus ZERO investigative journalism. Nixon would have gotten away with Watergate today,as Woodward's and Bernstein's bosses would have told them to sit on and/or kill the story. The press once saw its mission as afflicting the comfortable and comforting the afflicted ,compared to today's "journalists' " breaking bread with the powerful and ignoring the overlords' criminal corruption .

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:55 pm

Border:
I get it.

My point in the second half of my post was the Metro Detroit region. For example, if those reporters from The Detroit Free Press (M.L. Elrick & Jim Schaefer) were covering say the best Coney restaurants in town, instead of investigating Kwame Kilpatrick, what media outlet would have done the work?

There maybe enough journalists nationally to report on Washington DC, but the field is getting knocked down in Michigan and metropolitan areas.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:41 am

Silvio Dante wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:12 am
Beaumont was fined millions for kickbacks to doctors and that didn't get any coverage either.
**queues creepy music**
"Do you have a Beaumont Doctor?"

:lol sorry

Music is my life.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:37 pm

This is so typical of media. This trend really started getting into high gear after TCA1996. It was somewhere around that time that *real* journalism started dying a quick death and corporations started getting their crooked hands into everything. Whatever happened to truth in advertising laws? It seems you can claim anything on TV anymore, and hardly anyone gets called out. GM just got toasted on a commercial for intentionally using flawed data to say they have the best quality (frankly, ANY vehicle that has multiplexed wiring is a pending failure out of the gate IMO). Subliminal advertising is all over the internet and every now and then, a TV commercial gets exposed. So, I'm not in the least bit surprised this situation got buried by the media. I'd bet the corporations involved pressured the media to bury it in the same place all the rest of actually meaningful news gets buried.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic