Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WMXD interference

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14803

Re: WMXD interference

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:54 am

That would be a DX’ing dream back then, forget it today will all this translator nonsense.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:50 pm

The four things in the FM DXers Wish Book:

1) Extremely Directional High Gain Antenna at 30 AGL on a deluxe rotator.

2) An extremely selective tuner like the old McIntosh MR-78 or MR-80.

3) A method of noise cancelling IBOC sidebands on first adjacent channels.

4) A detector capable of detecting captured signals. Back in the 1960s, there was a book called Wave Propagation with an article about such a technique. It was in French or German, so I couldn't read it. It was big and heavy. The subjects of the articles were heavy too.

Santa Baby...

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:06 pm

Big Signal wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:06 am
This is because WMXD's antenna is located atop either the Ren Cen or Cadillac Tower (I cannot remember which) in downtown Detroit.

WMXD and WDTW are both on the Cadillac Tower.

WMXD is 45 KW with a directional antenna at 479 feet, they pull in from Brighton slightly.

WDTW is 61 KW with a non directional antenna at 508 feet. Their signal is a little better in Brighton.
I rarely if ever struggle to pull WDTW, even able to receive 106.5 and 106.9 once in a while, and the 107.1 tower not far in AA. I remember 107.1 used to wreak havoc on any frequency higher than 105.1 in downtown AA. Forget WDTW there.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic