Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

September radio ratings

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: September radio ratings

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:36 pm

Impressive trend is developing for 105.9 Kiss.

It's been ages since WWJ and WJR were so close. The fact a decent cohort of white collar employees will be working remotely on a part-time or even full-time basis moving forward, even once COVID passes, does not bode well for WWJ's ratings.

The politics behind COVID + Whitmer's executive orders + the Presidential election all seem to be benefiting WJR. I think Rush's medical prognosis earlier this year might be generating renewed interest in his program, too.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:03 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:36 pm

It's been ages since WWJ and WJR were so close. The fact a decent cohort of white collar employees will be working remotely on a part-time or even full-time basis moving forward, even once COVID passes, does not bode well for WWJ's ratings.

The politics behind COVID + Whitmer's executive orders + the Presidential election all seem to be benefiting WJR. I think Rush's medical prognosis earlier this year might be generating renewed interest in his program, too.
WWJ lost points while workers were either working in a virtual office or out of work due to Covid-19 - they had no need for traffic on the eights. I still have to commute old style😞

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:16 pm

The Breeze is a doing a little better, and both Wheels and the Bounce have continued to go down in the ratings each month.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:37 am

Yeah, I think the Bounce is in some trouble. The classic hip-hop balloon in Detroit deflated more slowly than many other cities, but the general trend is once such stations begin a multi-survey decline, they seldom recover.

The good news? It appears many of the people who are listening to 105.1 less are listening to sister station 105.9 more often.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:41 am

I'll be interested to see what 99.5 WY . . . errrrrr 99-5 'YCD's ratings look like during the next book after Exitcom gutted the once great country station.I hope they are a dumpster fire but I suspect people will still be tuning in. I wished Cumeless would have flipped 93.1 to either an alternative country format (ala KOKE-FM in Austin, TX) or flipped it to country gold instead of new country. I think a country gold station playing the top hits of the mid-late 1980's (the start of the Randy Travis era) through the 2000's would work well here. Alabama, Alan Jackson, Blake Shelton, Brooks & Dunn, Clay Walker, George Strait, John Anderson, Martina McBride, Randy Travis, Reba, Tim McGraw, etc. as the featured artists. Chuck Edwards would have been a great choice for Program Director and morning show host. Detroit's Greatest Country 93.1 WDeeeeeeRQ FM.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:36 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:37 am
Yeah, I think the Bounce is in some trouble. The classic hip-hop balloon in Detroit deflated more slowly than many other cities, but the general trend is once such stations begin a multi-survey decline, they seldom recover.

The good news? It appears many of the people who are listening to 105.1 less are listening to sister station 105.9 more often.
I kind of figured the Bounce was going to eventually decline in popularity. I think the classic hip-hop format is a fad format.

I like Kiss 105.9 as it is more niche than competitor Mix 92.3.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:50 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:41 am
..... I think a country gold station playing the top hits of the mid-late 1980's (the start of the Randy Travis era) through the 2000's would work well here. Alabama, Alan Jackson, Blake Shelton, Brooks & Dunn, Clay Walker, George Strait, John Anderson, Martina McBride, Randy Travis, Reba, Tim McGraw, etc. as the featured artists ...
I agree with this. I know it would be on my preset.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:07 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:36 pm

Likely also due to the election and attendant issues, WDET had a nice bump too. And during a pledge month no less. I don't think they've ever cracked the 3's before, at least not while their ratings have been public.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:34 pm

I completely missed 101.9's surge from a 2 share to a 3 share! :eek

Compared to normal, that is an OUTSTANDING result for WDET.

Easily their best AQH share of the past 25 years.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:25 am

WLLZ down again. :lol

Its very simple WLLZ: play 95% kick your ass rock and roll from the 80's and 90's. Thats it. That is your formula for success. Stop with the overplayed retreads in heavy rotation.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:32 pm

JLesinski wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:25 am

Its very simple WLLZ: play 95% kick your ass rock and roll from the 80's and 90's. Thats it. That is your formula for success. Stop with the overplayed retreads in heavy rotation.
Every time I flip to it, there's a song from the 60s or 70s playing.
Now I'm obviously more than fine with that, but they're misleading people with their slogan.
When someone hears "new generation" they aren't expecting Steppenwolf.

Music is my life.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:10 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:37 am

Why don't you like 105.1? It's definitely still in my presets.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:46 am

I never said I don't like the station personally. I'm indifferent toward it. I will say, generally speaking, that particular genre is much more difficult to execute than say, classic rock. The number of playable, consensus songs is vastly larger in classic rock.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:00 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:32 pm
JLesinski wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:25 am

Every time I flip to it, there's a song from the 60s or 70s playing.
Now I'm obviously more than fine with that, but they're misleading people with their slogan.
When someone hears "new generation" they aren't expecting Steppenwolf.
Yep. You cant be the "New Generation of classic rock!" and then lead into "Paint it Black". If you want to play kick ass songs from that era go ahead and just do it but dont say one thing and then do the opposite. God knows WCSX isnt playing the harder rockers much anymore. If you truly want to be "The new generation of classic rock" then you have a shit load of kick your ass rockers from the 80's and 90's to choose from. If they consistently did that my preset would probably never change.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic