All accepted registrations through December 9 at 7:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Then, there's this.....

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 8570

Re: Then, there's this.....

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:24 pm

Lets see... from tonights 10pm on 20:
A lower 3rd that read "Bother and sister killed in motorcycle crash" and a preview graphic that read "Pistons Downtowns?"

Love Pink

Post by Love Pink » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:14 am

Love Pink wrote:
NS8401 wrote:Couple more from 7's 10pm:
Ann Arbor has been moved to Livingston County and Northland Mall opened in 1947 not 1954. :roll:

Apparently there's a rookie writing tonight... The Northland error I don't get since they got it right at 4, 5, 6 and 7.
That's a lot of mistakes for one newscast. I can't believe that mobody can take 1 minute to proofread.
LOL I just caught a really bad typo in my last post! "Mobody"? Ah, the irony. I'm bitching about proofreading and apparently I don't do it either.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:45 am

"mobody" aside one problem we all face is the squiggly red line whose absence tells us to,too,two,there,their,they're are all spelled correctly. For that matter hat and bat are spelled correctly but if I hit the wrong letter I get the wrong word. We all look for the misspellings but not often enough for the rest of the grammar.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:39 am

Love Pink wrote: LOL I just caught a really bad typo in my last post! "Mobody"? Ah, the irony. I'm bitching about proofreading and apparently I don't do it either.
Me thinks standards for posting on a board and those for broadcast television are slightly different.

Cain killed Abel with a rock. God blamed Cain, NOT the rock.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:49 am

Bryce wrote:
Love Pink wrote: LOL I just caught a really bad typo in my last post! "Mobody"? Ah, the irony. I'm bitching about proofreading and apparently I don't do it either.
Me thinks standards for posting on a board and those for broadcast television are slightly different.
Emphasis on slightly apparently...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:25 pm

Bryce wrote:
Dat true!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

jry

Post by jry » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:40 pm

They must be really rushing to get those Chyrons on the air. They're always chock full of errors.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:07 pm

7's 4pm:
"Will raise more that 1 Billion for roads".

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:35 pm

Speaking of Spell Check, does any one else watch the closed captions option on TV ? I have to turn down the Volume when watching TV since my Wife is overly sensitive (oh crap, I just turned 70 and can't hear worth crap anymore) so I turn on the closed caption options.
Some times I am so amazed at the crazy errors and misspellings in the closed caption thet I burst out laughing and loose track of the program it's self. :D :rollin
A few times the wife comes into the room ans asks "what's so funny about a news item about a mass murder bombing" etc....

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:19 am

k8jd wrote:
Some times I am so amazed at the crazy errors and misspellings in the closed caption thet I burst out laughing and loose track of the program it's self. :D :rollin
For many programs, captioning is added "live." Program audio is fed to a captioning service, where an actual person uses techniques similar to a court reporter's transcribing to enter a "translation" as quickly as possible. No time to interpret detail, context, or to correct spelling and no visual reference either. There now are also automated voice-recognition captioning systems being used, but even the best of those have flaws. The live caption data generated by the service (or machine) is then inserted at the broadcaster's facility on its way to air.
Shows that are post-produced are post-captioned using the show's script (for episodics) or an accurate transcript of the show's audio content, and are able to be spell-checked.
Notice also that post-captioned shows are pretty much in sync with action and spoken content, whereas "live" captions can be 10-15 sec behind.
New FCC regs regarding captioning accuracy are meant to improve the situation. We'll see.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:28 pm

As long as we're piling on,
Sun 6/14 on the 11p, WXYZ reported on a Bashara-related event in GROSS Pointe Woods.
Pat, WXYZ would like to buy an "E".

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:46 pm

even more ironic, since Wheel of Fortune airs on WDIV Local 4 (though i bet WXYZ would love to get it) :P

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

jry

Post by jry » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:42 pm

A lot of CC is done by voice recognition. We almost went into the Video Distribution business for the religious programmers. We were going to add it on the fly, using one of these programs.

When the FCC mandated CC, they never included an accuracy rate. Just make sure that it's there. Pretty stupid, huh?

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:10 pm

jry wrote:A lot of CC is done by voice recognition. We almost went into the Video Distribution business for the religious programmers. We were going to add it on the fly, using one of these programs.

When the FCC mandated CC, they never included an accuracy rate. Just make sure that it's there. Pretty stupid, huh?
That's definitely a hole in the system... I wish they'd fix some of these things or somebody would bring it to their attention.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:11 pm

A brief summary of the FCC Captioning Rules, adopted in early 2014.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic