Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Major snowstorm brewing

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
bmw

Re: Major snowstorm brewing

Post by bmw » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:25 pm

The GFS picked up on this storm nearly a full 10 days out and hasn't wavered from it since, which is quite impressive. If you browse backwards through older runs, it has been there going all the way back to Jan 24. My observation of the GFS is that it usually becomes completely useless beyond Day 8 - this may be the furthest out I've ever seen the GFS accurately predict a storm and stick with that prediction throughout.

Granted, the track wasn't perfect and the earliest runs had it bringing more warm air up and being a mostly rain event here, but here is the run from 6 days ago:

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:20 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:16 pm
Here's another run - this one from the ICON model:

Well… there’s a 13… so that’s two models reaching the conclusion of a foot. I have to drive the bus from Detroit to Lansing and back via Flint Wednesday afternoon into the evening… I am not looking forward to it. By Wednesday night the roads could be near impassable.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:56 am

bmw wrote:

The most dangerous piece per the video I shared is that Kentucky, southern, Ohio, and parts of PA and West Virginia may get as much as 2 inches of sleet and one inch of ice. I still say Missouri won't get that much snow. Again, NOT saying this storm is a dud, but these models saying 30 inches for Michigan and a foot plus for Missouri are exaggerated.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:57 am

Rate This wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:20 am
bmw wrote:

Well… there’s a 13… so that’s two models reaching the conclusion of a foot. I have to drive the bus from Detroit to Lansing and back via Flint Wednesday afternoon into the evening… I am not looking forward to it. By Wednesday night the roads could be near impassable.
This snow would be over a 48 hour period through Thursday night. I would expect delays, but nothing impassable.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:33 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:57 am
Rate This wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:20 am
bmw wrote:

This snow would be over a 48 hour period through Thursday night. I would expect delays, but nothing impassable.
The Winter storm watch runs from 7am Wednesday till 11pm Thursday. While that is a slow-ish buildup at some point the plows can’t keep up and with temperatures falling below 20 at some point the salt won’t work nearly as well either. It all sounds like shoveling to me.
Last edited by Rate This on Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:34 am

The models are congealing regarding duration and impacts. Biggest question marks regarding heavy versus non-heavy snow are in the Lansing, Flint and Howell areas, where 25 miles could represent the difference between a few inches versus eight or ten inches.

Confidence is now rather high this will be a pretty historic storm for places like Fort Wayne, Toledo and perhaps Detroit.

Weather Channel is forecast 12 to 18 inches for much of Metro Detroit and up along the waterfront into St. Clair county, 8 to 12 inches in a band from roughly Howell to Grand Blanc, and a staggering 18 to 24 inches from Toledo to Fort Wayne.

National Weather Service is calling for a general 8 to 14 inches from I-69 southward through Thursday evening.

WDIV is forecasting 6 to 9 inches Wednesday and 6 to 12 inches Thursday for Metro Detroit.

My projections for storm totals through Thursday night:
Lansing and Flint areas: 4 to 10 inches (high uncertainty).
Pontiac, Romeo, Brighton: 6 to 12 inches.
Ann Arbor and 696 corridor: 8 to 14 inches.
Downtown Detroit, Grosse Pointes, Metro Airport: 10 to 16 inches.
Lenawee, Monroe, Greater Toledo: 12 to 18 inches.

Pray the track is farther south (sorry Ohio)! Conversely, if it tracks 50 miles farther north than current forecast, Metro Detroit will be really screwed.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:38 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:34 am
The models are congealing regarding duration and impacts. Biggest question marks regarding heavy versus non-heavy snow are in the Lansing, Flint and Howell areas, where 25 miles could represent the difference between a few inches versus eight or ten inches.

Confidence is now rather high this will be a pretty historic storm for places like Fort Wayne, Toledo and perhaps Detroit.

Weather Channel is forecast 12 to 18 inches for much of Metro Detroit and up along the waterfront into St. Clair county, 8 to 12 inches in a band from roughly Howell to Grand Blanc, and a staggering 18 to 24 inches from Toledo to Fort Wayne.

National Weather Service is calling for a general 8 to 14 inches from I-69 southward through Thursday evening.

WDIV is forecasting 6 to 9 inches Wednesday and 6 to 12 inches Thursday for Metro Detroit.
If we did the 12 to 21 it would be very difficult getting around and digging out just to get around for that matter. If it’s gonna be historic let’s go for the 24” stuff. First inkling of the snow totals on the NWS auto-generated forecast from a 12 hours at a time perspective on their site shows 4 inches during the day Wednesday. It’ll be interesting to see if we are to get 6 Wednesday night and another 4 on Friday or how exactly it totals it out.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:52 am

AccuWeather is forecasting a widespread 12 to 18 inches for Metro Detroit, Ann Arbor and Toledo.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:55 am

NWS is saying 4-5" up in the Thumb, 9-10" in Flint, 10-12" from 696 to I-69 in Metro Detroit, and 12-15" from Detroit to the Ohio border. That seems most likely.

Do we really want a crippling storm with high winds and zero degrees behind it? That shit is how people die.

Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:57 am

At least right now, winds don't look bad with the storm itself.

Roof collapses could be an issue for poorly constructed structures where snow removal is not undertaken.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:00 am

I guess I am very happy that we got new roofs put in over here in 2020.

I meant that people die from power outages and such. Being trapped with the power out is one of my worst fears.

Audacity sucks.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:18 am

Sidenote: This thread definitely reminds me of the old death storm thread back in the day.

Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:07 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:34 am
Pray the track is farther south (sorry Ohio)!
You NEVER have to apologize to Ohio.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:46 am

Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:00 am

I meant that people die from power outages and such. Being trapped with the power out is one of my worst fears.
How would this be different than the last two years for you? :rollin
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:06 pm

audiophile wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:46 am
Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:00 am

How would this be different than the last two years for you? :rollin
In your attempt to dunk on MCRF, you must have missed the part about being actually trapped without power.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic