Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

950 WWJ lies to its listeners

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
bmw

Re: 950 WWJ lies to its listeners

Post by bmw » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:34 pm

Speaking of weather lies, there's a subtle type of lie that's been going on up north where I live for years - and that is what I call "massaging" the forecasts for holidays and busy travel weekends. I live in a tourist-dependent area, and I have caught, time and again, my local stations (I won't mention which ones) giving a "better" forecast than what the TWC or NWS were giving. I remember a few years ago one example in particular - July 4th. Every other weather source was officially calling for a chance of afternoon showers, but the local radio forecast? "Mostly Sunny." No mention of rain chance. And of course it did end up raining a bit just before fireworks time.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:58 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:20 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:08 am
I did not "take over the board ".

This has been my site from day one.
You took Austerman's forum over. That is what I meant.
That might be what you meant, but you're still incorrect. I had no involvement with Michiguide aside from that of an avid poster.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:20 am

Matt Benz still refers to the non-existent city of "Oakland."

A simple phone call by WWJ's PD to AccuWeather would fix this.

FredLeonard

Post by FredLeonard » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:58 am

"lie: v. to speak falsely or utter untruth knowingly, as with intent to deceive."
The temperature they gave was wrong. But nothing in MW's posts demonstrates they did it knowingly and with intent to deceive. Newsman123's post is even more troubling. He suggests a major market, all news radio station just gets its temperature readings from some website that anyone of us could access. So, what do we need radio for? Even more, when there's a tornado or blizzard or some other severe weather alert and broadcasters stop everything else, are they just reading off some website?
Lie, probably no. Sloppy. Incompetent. Lazy. Cheap. Useless. Maybe, so.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:22 am

WWJ is still giving out misinformation regarding current temps.

Jackie just claimed it is 59 degrees at Metro. It is actually 62 there.

It *is* 59 at the Oakland - Troy Airport right now.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:02 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:20 am

I'm not defending this, but to be fair, there are recent maps that label the townships simply as "Oakland" "Shelby" and "Clinton". Further, we don't get wigged out when someone just says "Waterford" or "Redford" or "Canton" all of which are townships, so what does it matter if someone says "Clinton" or "Oakland" for godsakes? (I've heard Matt Benz say "Macomb" too)

Again, not arguing, just debating.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:50 am

Some WJR traffic reporter kept saying "In Wayne, accident on 94 at ___" and it took my brain a little too long to regroup and shift from understanding Wayne the city, and Wayne the county in the context of these reports. It got especially confusing in the reports that said "In Wayne, accident on 94 at Michigan Ave" knowing that Michigan Ave goes through Wayne the city, and 94 goes near Wayne the city, and both are in Wayne County, when the reporter was referring to the location at 94 as it enters Detroit. For those reports that say "In Macomb...", ok is the report referring to Macomb County, Macomb Township, or the little hamlet of Macomb?

That situation doesn't exist between Canton Township vs. Canton County in the general listening area, or some other similarly named place, so I agree with you that labeling Canton with Township isn't necessary. Yes, technically the language should be self evident once someone figures it out, but by then, as someone who is still very familiar with named places of Metro Detroit, my 39 year old brain has processed that too slowly and then I miss some or all of the remainder of the traffic report.

A reporter familiar with named places of Metro Detroit should be able to understand nuances and clearly report to accommodate those nuances to those listening to the fast delivery of the report.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:16 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:20 am

There are explanations for confusion about Oakland and other similar situations. Many of these are townships, that also used to be Census Designated Places, but are not as of the latest Census, and were or continue to be shaded on maps as if they are cities. These would also include places like Waterford and West Bloomfield, where people generally drop the "Township" when referring to them. The people themselves who live or travel there refer to them that way, so as not to add the superfluous Township every time they refer to them.

There are also townships with much greater population than the small cities incorporated within them, referred to as the same as the cities. Some also refer to Zip Code areas with that name.

The page below defines but also confuses the designation Oakland.

https://www.zip-codes.com/city/mi-oakland.asp
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:03 pm

I've only heard people refer to Shelby Twp as "Shelby" in very informal conversation. I don't believe I've ever heard Clinton Twp referred to as simply "Clinton."

I have no idea if Matt Benz means Oakland Twp when he says "Oakland," but since all the other temp readings he provides are usually from airport locations, I tend to doubt it. I suspect he is providing the temp from the Oakland County International Airport in Waterford Twp.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:37 pm

People often have confused Clinton Twp (near mt Clemens) and Clinton, city (southwest of Ann Arbor)

I’ve also hear folks say Sterling and Sterling Heights which are far from each other.

Same with Harrison and the H-Twp.

It helps to learn geography if you’re gonna spout such stuff :-)

Otherwise you may think Roseville, CA is somewhere near Detroit when it’s actually near Sacramento Ca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:21 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:03 pm
I've only heard people refer to Shelby Twp as "Shelby" in very informal conversation. I don't believe I've ever heard Clinton Twp referred to as simply "Clinton."

I have no idea if Matt Benz means Oakland Twp when he says "Oakland," but since all the other temp readings he provides are usually from airport locations, I tend to doubt it. I suspect he is providing the temp from the Oakland County International Airport in Waterford Twp.
On the hourly weather roundup, the airport on M59 in Waterford is simply labeled as "Pontiac"

The airport near Maple Rd and Coolidge in Troy is simply labeled "Troy" so I don't know where all of these variations are coming from.

The problem with the traffic reporters is that the incidents are listed on the screen by county. A couple of them are not smart enough to realize that it's not necessary to open a report with "And in Wayne County..." Sometimes I listen to those reports and wonder if the NOAA weather radio text to voice guy could do better. How much time is wasted saying "In Oakland County..." Or, adding street suffixes to everything, like "On Gratiot AVENUE" or "Telegraph ROAD"

Seriously. Stop it.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

edj

Post by edj » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:31 pm

O'Neil Stevens is the worst with mentioning the county. Hearing something like "In Wayne County, I-75 at Warren Avenue", which is Detroit, no county necessary. In far out rural areas (St. Clair Co away from Port Huron), it makes sense. He also has to mention Telegraph is US-24 every single time when virtually no one refers to it by number.

The WJR reporters almost always mention the unnecessary Road, Avenue, etc.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:54 am

But do they get the pronunciation of the roads right ? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:41 pm

EDJ: I use highway numbers all the time. Today, I saw an accident on the 696 westbound service drive at the 24 southbound service drive. I don't know where Telegraph is, but I know where US24 is. It is at mile marker 10 on 696 and at the 179 on 96.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:59 pm

paul8539 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:41 pm
EDJ: I use highway numbers all the time. Today, I saw an accident on the 696 westbound service drive at the 24 southbound service drive. I don't know where Telegraph is, but I know where US24 is. It is at mile marker 10 on 696 and at the 179 on 96.
You might try learning the names too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic