Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
radiofan1974

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by radiofan1974 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:16 am

With the tigers winning two in a row and Greene and Torkikson hitting a bit m here is Ron’s in depth summary this weekend

Caller: Hey Ron Tigers won a couple this week and the young kids are hitting a bit

Ron: Yea, Yea they are hitting a bit. I still have them at 70 wins and it all comes down on Jake Rogers behind the plate

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:37 am

radiofan1974 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:16 am
With the tigers winning two in a row and Greene and Torkikson hitting a bit m here is Ron’s in depth summary this weekend

Caller: Hey Ron Tigers won a couple this week and the young kids are hitting a bit

Ron: Yea, Yea they are hitting a bit. I still have them at 70 wins and it all comes down on Jake Rogers behind the plate
They'll also have a few home games under their belt, so Ron will have plenty of material for his rants about Dickerson and Price (who do radio for home games).

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:23 pm

Majik wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:56 pm
As far as his relevance goes, I would think that if you asked every member of the four major teams in town about him, fewer than 10 would even know who he is. He is the living definition of “ a legend in his own mind.” Most people that knew of him back in WXYZ days would probably be surprised to know he is still around, let alone still alive.
Ten?! Even that number seems way too high. Where would Ron even meet these pro athletes? He doesn't go to the "dressing rooms." If any of them "know" him, it's in the context of being told never to make eye contact with him. And, failing that, to never - under any circumstances - give him any contact information. I have to assume this is a mandatory feature of rookie year orientation.

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:27 pm

Kidcat wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:32 pm
I disagree that Ron has made a name for himself in this townThe reason he has almost 1000 posts is because a few posters make numerous posts during and after the train wreck that he calls a sports talk show.Ron has very few listeners. Most people do not know who Ron Cameron is.
Don't forget the 80 pages of the initial thread that was inadvertently deleted. While out "official" 1000-page celebration is on hold, we're actually at the start of our next 1000 pages.

Majik

Post by Majik » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:50 pm

Momo wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:27 pm
Kidcat wrote:
I disagree that Ron has made a name for himself in this townThe reason he has almost 1000 posts is because a few posters make numerous posts during and after the train wreck that he calls a sports talk show.Ron has very few listeners. Most people do not know who Ron Cameron is.
Don't forget the 80 pages of the initial thread that was inadvertently deleted. While out "official" 1000-page celebration is on hold, we're actually at the start of our next 1000 pages.
As we approach the hallowed page #1000, I wonder who the prognosticators would list as the odds on favorites are to be the first member to post a comment on page 1000. Most likely Momo, Bobbert, or the field? Or maybe MWmetalhead (using insider information).

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:53 pm

Kidcat wrote:
Mr.Transistor wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:11 pm
Ron kept ripping SDSU basketball coach Brian Dutcher saying he looked really old, older than former SDSU and U-M coach Steve Fisher. Dutcher is 63 and Fisher is 78, I don't see it but this criticism coming from Ron who is no Adonis himself I find bewildering. This is another beef I have with Ron who makes fun of "no guts" Harbaugh for the way he speaks, etc. Like Ron is some kind of model of the English language. This sort of nonsense coming from a buffoon, blowhard, egomaniac, disorganized person who lhas lived out of motels for his life, I guess is what captures my attention to how this fella has made a name for himself in this town. It might not be a good name, but damn he's got almost 1,000 pages on buzzboard
I would add the the real time posting during his show, is what make it entertaining. We appear to be a dedicated if not slightly off group lol

Majik

Post by Majik » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:54 pm

Momo wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:23 pm
Majik wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:56 pm
As far as his relevance goes, I would think that if you asked every member of the four major teams in town about him, fewer than 10 would even know who he is. He is the living definition of “ a legend in his own mind.” Most people that knew of him back in WXYZ days would probably be surprised to know he is still around, let alone still alive.
Ten?! Even that number seems way too high. Where would Ron even meet these pro athletes? He doesn't go to the "dressing rooms." If any of them "know" him, it's in the context of being told never to make eye contact with him. And, failing that, to never - under any circumstances - give him any contact information. I have to assume this is a mandatory feature of rookie year orientation.
I wanted to say zero, but didn’t want to be that harsh. I really should have gone with my first thought.

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:47 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:50 am
Midweek Memories

Saturday, April 29, 2017 (Hour 2)

Interview with Mark Wilson (not sure what happened to Hour 1)

https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... Wilson.mp3
More people recognizing Ron & two more people who owe Ron (two) lunches (each).

Ron started off with a question to Mark about Rob Parker romancing Betty White. After pointing out - again - that Rob was a bigger fan of Bea Arthur, Mark lamented about this subject coming up on every show.

On a couple of occasions, Ron complained about the Tigers radio broadcast team. Dickerson, he said, is "on his knees" more than on his feet, eliciting a "Wow" from Mark. Ron later said Dickerson was a "moron" & Price was "brain-dead." "I don't believe anything they say," he added.

Responding to an email about Terry Foster - who "followed Ron" since he was a child - Ron said he was the "only one' to say that he had two strokes. Noting Terry's complaints of being exhausted after four hours on the radio, Ron contrasted his circumstances, saying he never had a co-host & gets all his own advertising. He did concede, though, that he had never had a stroke, allowing for the possibility that a stroke could make you tired more quickly.

When Mark expressed surprise that the Kentucky Derby was the following Saturday, Ron, as is his wont when a suject does not interest him, said, "Good for it."

Expect a "big announcement" about his restaurant in a couple of weeks. Ron teased that it could be in Detroit.

Channeling Rich from New York, John called to ask the starting time for tomorrow's Tigers game.

Fresh from his call-in when Johnny Grubb was on the show, Harry Saferight was coming on the show for a half-hour the following Sunday.

Next Saturday's guest, Ramon Santiago, once recognized Ron. Ron didn't know who he was. Ron wondered if he had seen him on tv. Similarly, Milt Cuyler waved at him, surprising Ron since they had never met. Cuyler told him he saw Ron on tv.

At the end of the hour, Mark casually mentions that John Smoltz's dad is coming to Las Vegas for a wedding. I bet he immediately regretted that. Ron jumps in to say that George Eichorn called him from the HOF once tp tell him that he had a guy with him who wanted to talk to him. The guy gets on the phone & asks, "How's my buddy in Detroit?" "I'm fine," Ron said. "Who's this?" "You're good friend," came the response. Still puzzled - to be fair, Ron does have a lot of friends - Ron said, "I have no idea who this is." Providing a clue, the other person on the call said, "My son pitched in the major leagues." Ron pondered that before realizing it was the senior Mr. Smoltz, saying, "Wait, fella. We've never met, have we?" "No, Ron, we haven't" the elder Smoltz said, "but we're still friends." Ron said they then laughed. He asked Mark to say "hello" to Mr. Smoltz for him.

Mark then noted that 2017 was the 30th anniversary of the Smoltz/Doyle Alexander trade, prompting Ron to point out he introduced Smoltz to Steve Avery. As the story goes, before going to his first big league camp, Avery called Ron, who asked him if he knew Smoltz. He did not, yet, but asked Ron why he brought him up. "We're having lunch?" Avery asked if he could join them. Ron took the two out. And they know both owe him two lunches.

Years later, having lunch with a comeback-hopeful Avery, Ron said that Avery told him he had just heard from Smoltz, who told him the Braves wanted him to become a closer. "You get on the phone," Ron urged, "& tell that jerk he's gonna come back as a closer, that's it!" Ron further recounted telling Avery that "if he comes back as a closer & dominates, he'll be in the Hall of Fame. He's not going to the Hall of Fame as a starter. That's it. No questions asked." Avery - or Smoltz? - told Ron later, "Ron, you were right."

After Mark talked about seeing a high school Avery pitch, Ron then brought up going on a vacation in LA with Dan Enos. According to the story, while there, someone comes up to Enos, extends his hand, & says, "I'm a friend of Ron Cameron." "Oh, really," Enos says, "where do you know Ron from?" "I was on his show ... I'm a baseball player." "What's your name," Enos asked. "John Smoltz." "He didn't tell him who he was," an incredulous Ron said, "just told him he was a friend of mine!" Mark said that Smoltz was "always humble." "He's a good man," Ron added.

Concluding the show with another Smoltz-related story, Ron mentioned that Smoltz's grandfather, a longtime member of the Tiger Stadium ground crew, used to come to Ron's bar. He told Ron that his grandson was one day going to pitch in the big leagues. "A good friend. Good friend."

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:52 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:53 pm
Kidcat wrote:
Mr.Transistor wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:11 pm
Ron kept ripping SDSU basketball coach Brian Dutcher saying he looked really old, older than former SDSU and U-M coach Steve Fisher. Dutcher is 63 and Fisher is 78, I don't see it but this criticism coming from Ron who is no Adonis himself I find bewildering. This is another beef I have with Ron who makes fun of "no guts" Harbaugh for the way he speaks, etc. Like Ron is some kind of model of the English language. This sort of nonsense coming from a buffoon, blowhard, egomaniac, disorganized person who lhas lived out of motels for his life, I guess is what captures my attention to how this fella has made a name for himself in this town. It might not be a good name, but damn he's got almost 1,000 pages on buzzboard
I would add the the real time posting during his show, is what make it entertaining. We appear to be a dedicated if not slightly off group lol
“Real-time posting” is something I’ve been enjoying since Ron’s latest time changes. Without the podcast EVER getting updated, I consider myself kind of lucky that SportsTalk’s current broadcast times don’t conflict with anything I have going on. The minute they do conflict, I’ll be off the train, until Scoop goes through another inevitable schedule and/or channel change. Life will go on, I’m well aware!

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:54 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:50 am
Open Line (April 2017)
https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... il2017.zip
I don't typically look to Ron's show for a First Amendment debate, but that is what I got in this 4/2/87 open line hour.

Ron was up in arms against John Calipari's then-recent criticism of a Final Four referee that led to death threats against the referee. Ron said that Calipari should "go to jail" for his comments. To Ron, it was simply a case of a "man of integrity" vs. a "cheater." "Yet Calipari is making all the money. Figure that out." He added, "A great referee & a mediocre coach. That makes all the money, I might add." The referee, it was noted, had worked eight Final Fours, to Calipari's four appearances.

On the heels of this discussion, JJ called, saying, "So much for free speech in America, huh?" "That's free speech?!" Ron countered. He argued this wasn't a case of free speech, just a guy "looking for an excuse because he choked & try to point at the official." "Look in the mirror, Calipari," Ron added when he revisited the topic later.

JJ harkened back to advice his father gave him when he was a child. "When you blame other people for your problems, you can never solve them yourself." Without a trace of self-recognition, Ron said, "Your dad was a very wise man, JJ." After JJ signed-off, thanking Ron & Alex, Ron said, "You got it, Cowboy. Jake Wood next hour." As an aside, Mark from Warren, not Cowboy, was the next caller in the queue.

Jeff from Ferndale later called to ask if Ron had ever had a guest who he would never ask back. As if. Only a returning guest with Alzheimer's seems to be Ron's breaking point.

Ron talked about another of his friends, Howard Johnson. When he was still in Double A, Ron took HoJo to his first MLB game, with HoJo spending a week with Ron. Ron introduced him to some "big people." The two have been friends ever since, although Ron lamented that he had not been returning Ron's messages about coming back on his show.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:50 am

Will be missing the show today on the Easter Eve edition of the Ron Cameron show today, looking forward to reading the comments later on today’s episode. I am sure Ron will have new topics and fresh takes this holiday weekend

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:00 pm

With the Tigers back in town, I'm sure Ron will revive one of his evergreen topics—his ongoing battles with Ron Colangelo and the rest of the Tigers PR staff.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:44 pm

I’m waiting for Ron to say that the Tigers are listening to him about Jake Rogers.

edj

Post by edj » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:48 pm

Too bad the game starts at 4. No play by play.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:58 pm

edj wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:48 pm
Too bad the game starts at 4. No play by play.
But we still get play by play for the Red Wings game that starts at 1.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic