Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Thoughts on the Current State and Potential Future of Detroit Radio

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
mkhopper

Re: Thoughts on the Current State and Potential Future of Detroit Radio

Post by mkhopper » Thu May 23, 2024 1:38 pm

Realist wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 5:55 pm
Problem you have is that you have a handful of corporations that own the majority of the radio stations currently. You pretty much have the same 500-600 song playlist with the current hits being played every 3.5-4 hours just about everywhere. Only thing different is the imaging and call letters.

Terrestrial radio is for the most part boring. My tolerance for commercials is low. Even with me having SXM, my favorite saying is “shut up and play music” when a self important DJ babbles on and on. I really don’t care what they have to say most of the time
I say exactly the same thing. I have S/XM in the car and if a DJ is going on about something I could care less about, I'll say, "I don't pay you to talk... " and change the station. Those stations that play commercials, (news, comedy, sports, etc), I'll flip the moment an ad starts. I just can't take listening to commercials, which is why I rarely dip into our local terrestrial stations these days, and if I do for more than a few minutes, it's usually because I want to listen to WRCJ at night for their jazz programming.

If I want to stream anything while in the car, it's still a clunky process of pulling up an app, finding a playlist or album and then it's not a simple matter of a quick button push if I decide I want to listen to something else in either that app or another one. Talk about distracted driving.
Once apps can be better integrated into car radio systems to allow for setting presets tied to specific apps and channels, then streaming will truely put the dagger into the heart of terrestrial radio.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 23, 2024 7:26 pm

mkhopper wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:38 pm
Once apps can be better integrated into car radio systems to allow for setting presets tied to specific apps and channels, then streaming will truely put the dagger into the heart of terrestrial radio.
Spotify is experimenting with Android Auto to make navigating playlists and podcasts by voice commands for handsfree.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu May 23, 2024 8:09 pm

AM radio dies by 2028. FM dies by 2032.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 16378

Post by Deleted User 16378 » Thu May 23, 2024 8:16 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:09 pm
AM radio dies by 2028. FM dies by 2032.
How did you come to this conclusion? What are your findings that AM has 4 more years and FM 8? And yet new stations are still being built on FM. Just look at the number of construction permits that are being issued. I give AM and FM 20 - 30 more years.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu May 23, 2024 8:28 pm

Other than for traffic and pro or college sports, when is the last time you turned on AM?

People under 40 could care less about FM.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

edj

Post by edj » Thu May 23, 2024 8:44 pm

That means they do care some. I think you mean couldn’t care less.

AM and FM are dying, AM more-so, but not as fast as you may think. AM was supposed to be completely dead by 2020 but it’s hung in there. 2040 or 2050 may be another story, but it wouldn’t completely shock me if it’s still around to some degree.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 23, 2024 8:53 pm

So one AM station ranks higher than a 1.7 share in Detroit. When exactly do we call AM done?

― Matt

Deleted User 16378

Post by Deleted User 16378 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:12 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:53 pm
So one AM station ranks higher than a 1.7 share in Detroit. When exactly do we call AM done?

When no one wants to buy an AM property. When AM stops making money. When AM is no longer relevant. WJR is still making money despite the low ratings. Ratings are not that important if you're still making cash on the advertising revenue.
Last edited by Deleted User 16378 on Thu May 23, 2024 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 16378

Post by Deleted User 16378 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:17 pm

Thu May 23, 2024 8:28 pm
Other than for traffic and pro or college sports, when is the last time you turned on AM?

People under 40 could care less about FM.
Today, was listening to AM 580 and 910. I still had internet access for streaming but decided to use the radio for a while. I utilize both it depends on what my mood is.

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Thu May 23, 2024 9:53 pm

I’m in SE michigan but find tuning to AM800 CKLW , to check in on Canada. They are intensely local focused on local topics (affordable housing supply, downtown businesses, crime downtown, drug usage downtown, quality of life type of things. There’s also nationallly syndicated programs that are a good listen.

Way way better than current lineup of WJR.
Hey USA isn’t the only ones with difficult issues to work thru.

Oh for the days of a strong talk lineup on WXYT challenging a strong WJR at its peak, mid-late 80s early 90s.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 23, 2024 10:07 pm

Paul Richards wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 9:12 pm
WJR is still making money despite the low ratings. Ratings are not that important if you're still making cash on the advertising revenue.
How do you qualify "Making money"?
WJR's C.C.P. isn't exactly setting records.
― Matt

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Thu May 23, 2024 10:55 pm

Paul Richards wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 9:12 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:53 pm

When no one wants to buy an AM property. When AM stops making money. When AM is no longer relevant. WJR is still making money despite the low ratings. Ratings are not that important if you're still making cash on the advertising revenue.
I thought WWJ was consistently well above WJR in the ratings. Can’t judge radio success by WJR. It’s a symbol of radios fall.
Bland bland bland. Paul W makes me puke

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 23, 2024 11:22 pm

radiofann wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 10:55 pm
I thought WWJ was consistently well above WJR in the ratings. Can’t judge radio success by WJR. It’s a symbol of radios fall.
Bland bland bland. Paul W makes me puke
WWJ was the only AM with real listenership. 4.6 share.
― Matt

Radiobirdman

Post by Radiobirdman » Fri May 24, 2024 6:45 am

Every day while shaving, in the car, in the kitchen, working in the garage, gardening, sometimes listening to far-away stations at night for fun. Last year the FCC estimated that there are still 47 million in the US who listen to AM radio.

Deleted User 16378

Post by Deleted User 16378 » Fri May 24, 2024 8:06 am

Radiobirdman wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 6:45 am
Every day while shaving, in the car, in the kitchen, working in the garage, gardening, sometimes listening to far-away stations at night for fun. Last year the FCC estimated that there are still 47 million in the US who listen to AM radio.
And still going strong. AM radio will be around for a while, maybe 20 more years. FM even longer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic