Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Local 4 buyout packages

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
J-Ten

Re: Local 4 buyout packages

Post by J-Ten » Tue May 14, 2024 10:09 pm

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 15, 2024 2:17 am

This seems faintly reminiscent of what Channel 7 started doing to their older talent in 2009. Maybe 4 can do a better job handling it.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed May 15, 2024 10:31 am

sizzlechest wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 2:31 pm
Round Six wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 8:57 am
Michiganviewer wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 7:47 am
Hope to see Karen Drew bought out. Might watch channel 4 again.
Go soak your head if you can find a square bucket. Drew in a sleeveless top is Must See TV for me.
Pretty harsh--she visited my place of employment earlier this year. I didn't speak to her directly, but she was treating everyone else like they were the celebrity. She was so nice it kind of blew my mind. So yeah, no need to rag on her.
When Rhonda (Squawker) Walker beat Karen out for the morning news spot, I sent Karen a message of condolence. Karen replied in a friendly, grateful manner.

In the end, Karen got better working hours and more chances to show her news reporting credentials. Meanwhile, Rhonda remains nothing more than a talking head with an annoying laugh that she uses to cut other people off on the news desk.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed May 15, 2024 11:28 am

Bernie's next job.

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Wed May 15, 2024 12:43 pm

The Deadline Detroit report has now been picked up by the Free Press, so I'd say the chances of it being true are very likely: It's looking like Bernie Smilovitz, Rod Meloni, and Mara MacDonald took the buyout. I like the additional sourcing of the Free Press contacting the general manager of WDIV and though he didn't confirm anything, he definitely didn't deny it:
WDIV General Manager Bob Ellis did not directly confirm the reports, but told the Free Press in an email Wednesday that the station began offering in March a "voluntary retirement incentive program," what he called a "thoughtful pathway for our long-serving colleagues nearing retirement."

Ellis added: "As you no doubt understand, we do not comment on station personnel matters," but implied that changes were imminent by saying that "in the weeks ahead, we will celebrate with our viewers those who determine this is the right opportunity for them."
Bernie finally being done there, even though it's about 15-20 years overdue, is still going to be a big deal. I mean, that is a long career. Rod Meloni was always a great reporter, and seemed to know his stuff. Mara MacDonald I always hated, so good riddance. And that's my 2 cents!

I can't believe Bernie didn't retire on his own volition like a decade ago. I guess he still really needed the money.

RedfordRob

Post by RedfordRob » Wed May 15, 2024 4:13 pm

BFSEsq wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 12:43 pm
The Deadline Detroit report has now been picked up by the Free Press, so I'd say the chances of it being true are very likely: It's looking like Bernie Smilovitz, Rod Meloni, and Mara MacDonald took the buyout. I like the additional sourcing of the Free Press contacting the general manager of WDIV and though he didn't confirm anything, he definitely didn't deny it:
WDIV General Manager Bob Ellis did not directly confirm the reports, but told the Free Press in an email Wednesday that the station began offering in March a "voluntary retirement incentive program," what he called a "thoughtful pathway for our long-serving colleagues nearing retirement."

Ellis added: "As you no doubt understand, we do not comment on station personnel matters," but implied that changes were imminent by saying that "in the weeks ahead, we will celebrate with our viewers those who determine this is the right opportunity for them."
Bernie finally being done there, even though it's about 15-20 years overdue, is still going to be a big deal. I mean, that is a long career. Rod Meloni was always a great reporter, and seemed to know his stuff. Mara MacDonald I always hated, so good riddance. And that's my 2 cents!

I can't believe Bernie didn't retire on his own volition like a decade ago. I guess he still really needed the money.
I always liked Bernie. Hope he turns up somewhere else.

unscopedaircheck

Post by unscopedaircheck » Thu May 16, 2024 8:45 am

I enjoyed Bernie in the late 80s and early 90s. But that's when local sportscasts provided value. And when I was 10-16 years old.

Honestly I don't think local sportscasts have any purpose other than to promote live events on company-owned sister properties (à la NBC5 Chicago and an SNF game or a game on NBC Sports Chicago)

Michiganviewer

Post by Michiganviewer » Thu May 16, 2024 12:34 pm

Rod is someone I enjoy watching. I hope another network picks him up as the noncompete is set to be illegal in couple months.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 16, 2024 12:40 pm

Michiganviewer wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 12:34 pm
Rod is someone I enjoy watching. I hope another network picks him up as the noncompete is set to be illegal in couple months.
I’m assuming mostly they are gonna take the money and run.

edj

Post by edj » Thu May 16, 2024 10:27 pm

Bernie being gone is about 25 years too late, but better late than never. There is a reason he bombed in New York.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 20, 2024 7:50 pm

I've never been a fan of Mara's reporting.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Tue May 21, 2024 1:42 pm

Update to the Jessica Dupnack story. Fox 2 was able to dig deep and counter 4s offer after all so she will remain with Fox 2.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue May 21, 2024 3:37 pm

Editorcj wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 1:42 pm
Update to the Jessica Dupnack story. Fox 2 was able to dig deep and counter 4s offer after all so she will remain with Fox 2.
That's good news. I saw her doing a story (recorded though, so I didn't know how old it was) after it was stated she was going to 4 and was wondering how they got away with that.

I'll take Dupnack over MacDonald every day of the week, and twice on Sundays! ;)

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Tue May 21, 2024 3:42 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 3:37 pm
Editorcj wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 1:42 pm
That's good news. I saw her doing a story (recorded though, so I didn't know how old it was) after it was stated she was going to 4 and was wondering how they got away with that.

I'll take Dupnack over MacDonald every day of the week, and twice on Sundays! ;)
Dupnack is one of my underrated Detroit news hotties!

nonewsgoodnews

Post by nonewsgoodnews » Tue May 21, 2024 4:28 pm

Dupnack not going anywhere. It was a threat so she could get more at Fox 2 and wanted more anchoring time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic