Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Bobbert » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:19 am

Kidcat wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:12 am
I am stoked for tomorrows show.Two stroke Terry as a guest. .I wonder if Ron will compare his knee replacement surgery to Terry"s two strokes.What a way to end 2023.
Maybe Terry can start referring to Ron as the person who thought he had a brain aneurysm, but really didn't, similar to Ron's reference to Terry mistaking food poisoning for a third stroke.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:26 am

ShempLives wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:52 pm
I was surprised to hear Ron's comments regarding George Eichorn as I hadn't even heard Mr. Cameron mention him previously. Curiosity about Mr. Eichorn had me Google his name and I discovered that he, like Rich Kincaide had authored a book in 2003 titled "Detroit's Sports Broadcasters On the Air." As a copy I ordered on eBay arrived today, I perused the Arcadia publication to find at least three references to Ron Cameron. On page 82 is a photograph of Ron interviewing Red Wings defenseman Terry Harper "in the late 1970's." Page 82's caption starts with "Ron Cameron was one of the most controversial and bombastic sportscasters in Detroit's history. His resume include stints on WCAR-AM, WEXL-AM, WPON-AM, WHND-AM, WMZK-AM, WXYZ-AM, WXON-TV and WGPR-TV. His guests were top-notch and his comments always insightful." On page 88 is a photo of Norm Plummer with an accompanying caption that concludes with "Plummer is responsible for putting Ron Cameron on the airwaves during their 'Ask the Umpires' segment on WWJ." Page 92 has a picture of both Ron and Bob Page on "Sports View Today." Other than what Ron said on December 22, 2023 I don't know what happened to Ron and George's relationship, but Eichorn's history book seems like a natural subject for Cameron's show.
This link includes some more about Ron and George's relationship:

https://konicki.com/2010/07/03/national ... n-meeting/
Kal, the radio voice of the Detroit Red Wings, told of the saga of George Eichorn being the producer for the unique radio presentations of Detroit sports-talk host, Ron Cameron. —I only did it for a year,— said Eichorn with a wink. —I got to talk to Howard Cosell, what an issue that was,— he added. Cameron was also known for his Florida restaurants with Dick Vitale. Eichorn received a testimonial plaque from the NPASHF.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:29 am

I only listened to the first hour of last week's broadcast, and only remember two ads—of course, for the Southfield Ram's Horn and the Fenton Hotel. Does anyone remember any others?

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:35 am

CurlyHoward wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:32 pm
have any of you actually touched Ron? I hear you get a jolt like hooking a car battery up to your nipples
I've shaken his hand a few times, most memorably 39 years ago this Sunday, when I visited his bar on Grand River in Detroit, on New Year's Eve, 1984. He bought everyone a round of drinks at midnight, and then shook everyone's hand as they left.

The other times I remember were at the old Ram's Horn at Plymouth and Telegraph, around 1990, and at his broasted chicken restaurant near Metro Airport in the late 1990's. I was so thrilled to be in the presence of true greatness that I didn't notice any kind of electrical jolt. :)

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:37 am

Ron probably thinks that if it wasn't for him, Norm Plummer would never have had a career. Just like George Blaha would have been nothing without Ron.

sparty89

Post by sparty89 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:53 am

Bobbert wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:29 am
I only listened to the first hour of last week's broadcast, and only remember two ads—of course, for the Southfield Ram's Horn and the Fenton Hotel. Does anyone remember any others?
Ron said that he either lost or forgot the ad copy. It was obvious that he was improvising the Fenton Hotel and Ram's Horn ads. He did mention that his foot doctor will be a new sponsor, eventually.
Last edited by sparty89 on Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:59 am

Bobbert wrote:
I don't pay enough attention to the commercials, so I can't be of much help. But what I did notice was the lack of talk - however fanciful - of future guests (other than TS Terry). Nobody in the 2-3 week queue. We know we've seen the last of Alex & Mark Wilson. And Rich Kincaide seems to be gone, too. So who's left in the rotation? Ray, TS Terry, the Wood(s) Boyz. Anyone else I'm missing? I don't count the once third most powerful man in soccer as ever really being in the rotation.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:02 pm

ShempLives wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:52 pm
I was surprised to hear Ron's comments regarding George Eichorn as I hadn't even heard Mr. Cameron mention him previously. Curiosity about Mr. Eichorn had me Google his name and I discovered that he, like Rich Kincaide had authored a book in 2003 titled "Detroit's Sports Broadcasters On the Air." As a copy I ordered on eBay arrived today, I perused the Arcadia publication to find at least three references to Ron Cameron. On page 82 is a photograph of Ron interviewing Red Wings defenseman Terry Harper "in the late 1970's." Page 82's caption starts with "Ron Cameron was one of the most controversial and bombastic sportscasters in Detroit's history. His resume include stints on WCAR-AM, WEXL-AM, WPON-AM, WHND-AM, WMZK-AM, WXYZ-AM, WXON-TV and WGPR-TV. His guests were top-notch and his comments always insightful." On page 88 is a photo of Norm Plummer with an accompanying caption that concludes with "Plummer is responsible for putting Ron Cameron on the airwaves during their 'Ask the Umpires' segment on WWJ." Page 92 has a picture of both Ron and Bob Page on "Sports View Today." Other than what Ron said on December 22, 2023 I don't know what happened to Ron and George's relationship, but Eichorn's history book seems like a natural subject for Cameron's show.
It sounds like Ron, while convalescing from surgery, reached out to George for some assistance, only to be rebuffed. I had the feeling his question to me about what I did for a living was prelude to asking me to advertise on his show.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:48 pm

Kidcat wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:12 am
I am stoked for tomorrows show.Two stroke Terry as a guest. .I wonder if Ron will compare his knee replacement surgery to Terry"s two strokes.What a way to end 2023.
Are strokes funny to you?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:58 pm

Matt, do you make it a habit to comment on things of which you have no knowledge?! You have pointed out that you have never listened to Ron’s show. If you ever had in recent years you would know that Ron reflexively mentions Terry’s two strokes - & one that Terry mistakenly thought was a third one - whenever Terry’s name comes up. What’s amusing is not Terry’s health issues but the fact that Ron reduces him to that. And that Terry - & a host of others - idolized Ron back in the day.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:59 pm

sparty89 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:53 am
Bobbert wrote:
Ron said that he either lost or forgot the ad copy. It was obvious that he was improving the Fenton Hotel and Ram's Horn ads. He did mention that his foot doctor will be a new sponsor, eventually.
That's three businesses where there's probably some bartering involved. Wonder how much actual cash he gets from people?

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:52 pm

Momo wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:59 am
Bobbert wrote:
I don't pay enough attention to the commercials, so I can't be of much help. But what I did notice was the lack of talk - however fanciful - of future guests (other than TS Terry). Nobody in the 2-3 week queue. We know we've seen the last of Alex & Mark Wilson. And Rich Kincaide seems to be gone, too. So who's left in the rotation? Ray, TS Terry, the Wood(s) Boyz. Anyone else I'm missing? I don't count the once third most powerful man in soccer as ever really being in the rotation.
A few I thought off:

Ike blessitt- Ron continuing to talk about the Billy Martin incident as Ike clearly does not want to talk about it any more

Jim Leyland-For the longest time he was on the coming up list-Perhaps off his hall of fame induction?

Jimmy Devalano and talk of Scotty bowman coming back to coach according to Ron

Jim “new zeland” Kaat and a follow up from the award winning first interview

Frank Garza-who was very incite-full in his interview, even for someone like myself who is not a H*** boxing fan

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:04 pm

Momo wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:58 pm
Matt, do you make it a habit to comment on things of which you have no knowledge?! You have pointed out that you have never listened to Ron’s show. If you ever had in recent years you would know that Ron reflexively mentions Terry’s two strokes - & one that Terry mistakenly thought was a third one - whenever Terry’s name comes up. What’s amusing is not Terry’s health issues but the fact that Ron reduces him to that. And that Terry - & a host of others - idolized Ron back in the day.
You listen to laugh at and make fun of the guy. Do you think you have the moral high horse?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:49 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:04 pm
Momo wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:58 pm
You listen to laugh at and make fun of the guy. Do you think you have the moral high horse?
Calm down Matt we laugh at you to.

briangoleb14

Post by briangoleb14 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:10 pm

Matt could you please just go away?
PLEASE

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic