Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Majik

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Majik » Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:26 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:32 pm
have any of you actually touched Ron? I hear you get a jolt like hooking a car battery up to your nipples
I can’t specifically remember if I did, but I’m gonna guess that I shook his hand when I went to talk to him about selling adds for Sports Fans Journal back in about 1986-7.

briangoleb14

Post by briangoleb14 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:25 pm

I sat next to him at a pistons game at the silverdome in the early 80's.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:48 am

I ran into Ron at my local Barnes & Noble about a decade ago…he was purchasing a USA Today SportsWeekly and grabbing a complimentary Metro Times. He must’ve been staying somewhere nearby at the time, because the ads he was reading on-air reflected this specific geographical area. Now, I feel like his quest for ad dollars/comped meals has a much farther, scattered reach.

On a related note, I heard Ron asking this past week’s guest Ray Scott if his book(s) could be purchased at “Borders”?!?!

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:02 am

uncleb67 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:48 am
On a related note, I heard Ron asking this past week’s guest Ray Scott if his book(s) could be purchased at “Borders”?!?!
At least he didn't ask about B. Dalton.

I think I may now know what lured Ron to the Bloomfield Hills Library. There's a (working) pay phone outside its doors.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:10 am

Bad News For Ron: After repeating hearings of Mr. Cameron's desire for a Yellow Pages directory, I went to Google with the question "Can you still get the Yellow Pages?" Here was the response: "The industry has evolved. The final Yellow Pages phone book was printed in 2019. Most remaining Yellow Page companies are in the process of becoming full-service digital marketing agencies, or else developing proprietary tech of their own to take to the local business market (ex. Thryv).Apr 26, 2023"

Majik

Post by Majik » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:12 am

Momo wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:02 am
uncleb67 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:48 am
I think I may now know what lured Ron to the Bloomfield Hills Library. There's a (working) pay phone outside its doors.
Wow, the meeting of a couple of relics of the past

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:30 pm

ShempLives wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:10 am
Bad News For Ron: After repeating hearings of Mr. Cameron's desire for a Yellow Pages directory, I went to Google with the question "Can you still get the Yellow Pages?" Here was the response: "The industry has evolved. The final Yellow Pages phone book was printed in 2019. Most remaining Yellow Page companies are in the process of becoming full-service digital marketing agencies, or else developing proprietary tech of their own to take to the local business market (ex. Thryv).Apr 26, 2023"
I got - & still have - my June 2023 slimmed-down Yellow Pages. That may have been the last of that. But that doesn't explain what happened to Ron's Greg-delivered copy this year. Maybe it was that - & not his wallet - which was the real target of his recent robbery.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:28 pm

Have to ask: did any of you get the #1 request on your Christmas list - frozen Ron Cameron "seed?"
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:04 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:28 pm
Have to ask: did any of you get the #1 request on your Christmas list - frozen Ron Cameron "seed?"
I would like to nominate Matt for a Buzzboard medal for courage and loyalty.Most people with his limited vocabulary would not want to risk being exposed,as an ignoramus.Not Matt. He knows how bad I want to see this thread grow.At the expense of his reputation he continues to post.He is a true friend.Loyal to a fault.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:47 pm

Kidcat wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:04 pm
Matt wrote:
I would like to nominate Matt for a Buzzboard medal for courage and loyalty.Most people with his limited vocabulary would not want to risk being exposed,as an ignoramus.Not Matt. He knows how bad I want to see this thread grow.At the expense of his reputation he continues to post.He is a true friend.Loyal to a fault.
It's pretty interesting that someone who has no idea how to utilize punctuation is shit talking someone else. I take it you didn't get your wish?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:47 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:47 pm
Kidcat wrote:
Matt wrote:
It's pretty interesting that someone who has no idea how to utilize punctuation is shit talking someone else. I take it you didn't get your wish?
Every time you post I get my wish

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:55 pm

Kidcat wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:47 pm
Matt wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:47 pm
Kidcat wrote:
Matt wrote:
Every time you post I get my wish
I heard some other posters were hoping for Ron's old tighty whities with racetracks on them or a bottle of Ron Cameron piss from the time his motel bathroom was clogged.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:56 pm

I got a set of Ron's sheets from when he stayed at the Viking Motel in 1988 after his failed interview with Matt Nokes! Greatest gift ever.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:52 pm

I was surprised to hear Ron's comments regarding George Eichorn as I hadn't even heard Mr. Cameron mention him previously. Curiosity about Mr. Eichorn had me Google his name and I discovered that he, like Rich Kincaide had authored a book in 2003 titled "Detroit's Sports Broadcasters On the Air." As a copy I ordered on eBay arrived today, I perused the Arcadia publication to find at least three references to Ron Cameron. On page 82 is a photograph of Ron interviewing Red Wings defenseman Terry Harper "in the late 1970's." Page 82's caption starts with "Ron Cameron was one of the most controversial and bombastic sportscasters in Detroit's history. His resume include stints on WCAR-AM, WEXL-AM, WPON-AM, WHND-AM, WMZK-AM, WXYZ-AM, WXON-TV and WGPR-TV. His guests were top-notch and his comments always insightful." On page 88 is a photo of Norm Plummer with an accompanying caption that concludes with "Plummer is responsible for putting Ron Cameron on the airwaves during their 'Ask the Umpires' segment on WWJ." Page 92 has a picture of both Ron and Bob Page on "Sports View Today." Other than what Ron said on December 22, 2023 I don't know what happened to Ron and George's relationship, but Eichorn's history book seems like a natural subject for Cameron's show.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:12 am

I am stoked for tomorrows show.Two stroke Terry as a guest. .I wonder if Ron will compare his knee replacement surgery to Terry"s two strokes.What a way to end 2023.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic