Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Majik

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Majik » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:18 pm

So Ron said the Twins are not a good team, or something to that effect. Says they will win the division. Predicts they will fire/need to replace the manager in the off season. Correct me if I’m wrong here, but isn’t a manager that wins a division with a not good team be a good manager that you would want to keep?

edj

Post by edj » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:19 pm

Just tuned in to Dickerson, and he said Leyland likes what Scott Harris is doing. Maybe that's why he's no longer on the Ron Cameron Experience.

DuffysCaddy65

Post by DuffysCaddy65 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:36 pm

Momo wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:55 am
Chris from Livonia asking for Norm Cash stories. As if we haven't heard them all.
The best ones are the stories that haven't been told and in which Ron wouldn't know.

Majik

Post by Majik » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:20 pm

DuffysCaddy65 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:36 pm
Momo wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:55 am
Chris from Livonia asking for Norm Cash stories. As if we haven't heard them all.
The best ones are the stories that haven't been told and in which Ron wouldn't know.
Or, the best ones are being saved for his future best selling book.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:44 pm

Ron started to put a list of most guest appearances, how about missing guests list

1. Mark wilson
2. Jim leyland
3. Jim kaat….getting on the list
4. Terry foster

Anyone I might be missing where it’s been a long time, for a future guest

edj

Post by edj » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:13 pm

Phil Regan of course
Maybe Trixie? Charlie Maxwell?

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:18 pm

Bob Delaney, the former NBA referee who wrote a book about “putting away the Mafia,” is a sentimental favorite for me. For literally well over a year, Ron regularly teased his upcoming appearance, but he never materialized.

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:04 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:42 am
November 2, 2019 (Hour 2)
Open line with Ron and Matt

https://26533.mc.tritondigital.com/OMNY ... 1618268480
The Era of Good Feelings reigned between the battling Bickersons (Ron & Matt) this hour.

Don't let anyone tell you that Ron doesn't have a gracious bone in his body. When presented with two boxes of cupcakes by a sponsor, Ron graciously offered one of the boxes to Matt. And when the subject turned to Ron's recent car accident, Matt said, "I'm just thankful you're alive, my friend."

I held my breath when Ron launched into an Earl Lloyd story. This one, though, related to a teenage Ron being the first person Earl met when he came to Detroit. Ron didn't know about this until Earl mentioned it later on. Although Earl was dead nearly five years at the time of the telling of this story, Ron concluded by saying, "We've been friends ever since."

Ron had an encounter with hockey coach Joel Quenneville, resulting in Joel telling Ron that he was a "big fan" of his. As, apparently, do all others in his orbit, Ron said Joel grabbed & hugged Ron. No word if they laughed, too.

As always, Ron's wit was on display. After singing the praises of then-sponsor, Loui's Pizza, JJ said the pizza there was "to die for." "Why are you still alive," Ron asked.

JJ noted that he was once mentioned in the '90s by Paul Harvey. Something about a "barking spider." When JJ mentioned that, nothwithstanding his academic & athletic achievements, this made the biggest impression on his grandmother. That made perfect sense to the publicity-seeking Ron. "That," he said, "should've been your greatest claim." Ron treated listeners to repeated impressions of Paul Harvey's "good day!!!" JJ told Ron that, like Paul Harvey, "there's magic in what you do, too."

Add the name of Dan Dierdorf to the long list of area sports notables Ron has never met.

Ron said Jonny Kane wants to return to the show. Still waiting on that development.

When Matt expressed that he would welcome the return of Dave Dombrowski, Ron pushed back. "Let Avila do his thing." Ron had great hopes for the Avila-led Tigers. In 2022, "look out" & they'll be "great" in 2023.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:03 am

Momo wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:04 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:42 am
November 2, 2019 (Hour 2)
Open line with Ron and Matt

https://26533.mc.tritondigital.com/OMNY ... 1618268480
The Era of Good Feelings reigned between the battling Bickersons (Ron & Matt) this hour.

Don't let anyone tell you that Ron doesn't have a gracious bone in his body. When presented with two boxes of cupcakes by a sponsor, Ron graciously offered one of the boxes to Matt. And when the subject turned to Ron's recent car accident, Matt said, "I'm just thankful you're alive, my friend."

I held my breath when Ron launched into an Earl Lloyd story. This one, though, related to a teenage Ron being the first person Earl met when he came to Detroit. Ron didn't know about this until Earl mentioned it later on. Although Earl was dead nearly five years at the time of the telling of this story, Ron concluded by saying, "We've been friends ever since."

Ron had an encounter with hockey coach Joel Quenneville, resulting in Joel telling Ron that he was a "big fan" of his. As, apparently, do all others in his orbit, Ron said Joel grabbed & hugged Ron. No word if they laughed, too.

As always, Ron's wit was on display. After singing the praises of then-sponsor, Loui's Pizza, JJ said the pizza there was "to die for." "Why are you still alive," Ron asked.

JJ noted that he was once mentioned in the '90s by Paul Harvey. Something about a "barking spider." When JJ mentioned that, notwithstanding his academic & athletic achievements, this made the biggest impression on his grandmother. That made perfect sense to the publicity-seeking Ron. "That," he said, "should've been your greatest claim." Ron treated listeners to repeated impressions of Paul Harvey's "good day!!!" JJ told Ron that, like Paul Harvey, "there's magic in what you do, too."

Add the name of Dan Dierdorf to the long list of area sports notables Ron has never met.

Ron said Jonny Kane wants to return to the show. Still waiting on that development.

When Matt expressed that he would welcome the return of Dave Dombrowski, Ron pushed back. "Let Avila do his thing." Ron had great hopes for the Avila-led Tigers. In 2022, "look out" & they'll be "great" in 2023.
Entertaining open line segment—certainly better than those two snooze fests we suffered through last weekend.

Ron and Matt did seem cordial, although the show started out with Ron nit-picking Matt's use of the word "they" when describing a football game between Notre Dame and Virginia Tech. That was part of Ron's criticism of Matt's descriptions of games, followed by Ron doing the same kind of descriptions.

Cowboy was talking about Jabril Peppers, and somehow Ron thought he was talking about (Adrian?) Peterson.

Cowboy reminded Ron to turn his clock back that night, and Ron said, "You really have to be sharp on those things or your day's messed up." Turning a clock back seems to be a simple task, but maybe not for someone who's constantly losing telephone numbers and forgetting when he's scheduled a guest.

Ron interrupted an ad read to reminisce about working at a radio station (560) that was in the same building as the advertiser. Later, he reminisced about another one of his former stations (1130) by calling it "Idiotic."

Ron talked about UM football star Ron Kramer, another person who Ron saw (and dined with!) shortly before he died.

Ron must have spent about five minutes trying to improvise on the ad for Loui's Pizza, after losing the ad copy (which he later found "stuck under something"). During this bizarre monologue, Ron echoed the thoughts of many of his listeners: "C'mon, Ron, get your head out of your rear end!"

In the "To die for" discussion between J.J. and Ron about Loui's Pizza, J.J. (jokingly?) said, "I would kill you to have a piece." Ron said that comment was "below the belt," then suddenly remembered that he wasn't wearing a belt. Another fashion statement by Ron, who pioneered the "loafers with no socks" look.

During the conversation with J.J., another lightning fast free association, from college football broadcasters to Curt Gowdy to Luis Tiant in the 1975 World Series to Jim Burton in that same series to Ron's association with Burton during Ron's umpiring days to the Basin League to the Quebec League.

Matt confessed to the world that Ron turned him on to "The Golden Girls," which led to another account of Rob Parker's obsession with Bea Arthur, and some very off color comments about Bea on Comedy Central. This is a sports show, Ron!

Current MIA Chuck from Belleville sent an e-mail.

The 2022/2023 projection for the Tigers depressed me too, because I was one of many people who felt the same way.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:07 am

Ron's really got inside my head. I was doing a crossword puzzle yesterday, and one clue read: "Spinks, in boxing." The answer was "Leon," which immediately made me start thinking about all of Ron's stories about Leon Spinks.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:10 am

Like Ron's always telling us...

edj

Post by edj » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:24 pm

I drove by the Allen Park Motor Lodge yesterday. They are missing a golden marketing opportunity by not putting "Ron Cameron Slept Here" on their message sign.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:39 pm

edj wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:24 pm
I drove by the Allen Park Motor Lodge yesterday. They are missing a golden marketing opportunity by not putting "Ron Cameron Slept Here" on their message sign.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:54 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:39 pm
edj wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:24 pm
Don't forget that it's also the home of the sticky-fingered maid.

edj

Post by edj » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:53 pm

I hear the Ron Cameron suite has a special spot for a briefcase. They don’t give you a can opener however.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic