Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
radiofan1974

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by radiofan1974 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:42 pm

Momo wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:09 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:16 pm
Midweek Memories

Saturday, May 20, 2017 (Hour 2)

Very entertaining interview with Ted Kulfan

https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... Kulfan.mp3
Ron starts off with correcting Alex's lead-in, which described Kulfan as the Wings writer. "Detroit News" writer. Ron later called out Alex's frequent use of the word "actually." And he took issue with Kurt's pronunciation of "Pittsburgh."

When Ron got finished reading his first commercials, Ted said, "Holy cow. What kind of advertisers do you have?!" In a rare candid moment, Ron said, "Anybody who pays." After Ted gave a shout-out to his wife & in-laws, Ron told him he now owed him big time." When Ted said he'd buy him lunch, Ron, in a further bout of candor, pounced on that. "Did you hear that," he asked his audience, "the five people who listen to this show,"

More than two weeks since Ron's 4/29/17 promise of a "big announcement" in two weeks about his new restaurant. The only talk of restaurant plans came in the context of what appears to be the first time Ted broached the subject of Ron writing his autobiography. Ron said he had just spoken that day to Tom Gage, who was too busy to commit to work with him on the book. Ted said, "We should talk." Then adding he wanted the first crack at working on a book project with Ron. Once Ron got his restaurant started, he said, he would definitely talk about doing the book. Ron promised the book - which would be a "best seller" - would result in some pissed-off people. Dickerson, Price & Beckmann would no longer be on the air in the fall-out. And while Ron conceded already talking about them on his show, it would be much worse for them if he puts his thoughts about them in a book "where everyone sees it."

Ron was too busy to go to Grand Rapids to see the Griffins play.

When Ted mentioned a favorite comedian he saw, an Italian guy, Ron was quick to ask if he was "in the Mafia."

More Ilitch/Ford idolatry talk. Chris Ilitch told his two young sons they were in the presence of a "celebrity." Ron told Ted that he regularly got that kind of recognition back in the day. "But fans today don't think much of him, because he's gonna tell the truth. They don't want to hear that. Some do. But some don't." As for Bill Ford, Jr., he called Ron in 1980 when he was at WXYZ just to tell him that he "idolize[d]" him. "I travel all around the world," Ron recounted him saying, and "you're the best sportscaster by far. BY FAR. There's nobody near you." The two soon thereafter went to lunch, where Ford, Jr., "fawned all over" Ron. "Great, great guy." When they ran into each other years later, he asked Ron if he remembered him. When Ron assured him that he did, Ford, Jr., looking at him straight in the eyes, said, "Ron, you're the greatest. I'm nothing compared to you." When Ron responded with, "You got Ford Motor Company," Ford, Jr., lamented that nobody knew him. That if they came upon 100 Grosse Pointers, 99 would know Ron, with only one knowing him.

Ted asked about Ron's nonexistent relationship with Bob Page. Page, Ron pointed out, "got the big ego." He can't get a job anymore & he's "taking on everybody." This prompted Ron to mention winning, in abstentia, the 1984 Cable Ace Award. There were "900 & some shows [&] we were number one." The following year, when he was in attendance - Page was at neither ceremony - "we finished second." In passing, Ron mentioned the awards ceremony was on C-SPAN. And sure enough, he was correct!

https://www.c-span.org/video/?124582-1/ ... s-ceremony

I don't know where Ron got the 900+ number from, but his category - "About Sports/Series" - had - beginning at 1:20:51 - a mere four nominees & Sports View Today shared winning honors with "Local Cable Sports." Sports View Today was announced as a co-winner - by Sugar Ray Leonard - at 1:23:08. The clip that was shown began with Page, dripping with evident disdain, tossing it to Ron to introduce a taped piece. "Now would it be too much for me to ask you to introduce this next piece right here? You can do that, at least, can't you?"

There's no available footage of the 1985 ceremony - with a tuxedoed Ron -but Ron's claim that Sports View Today finished second is absurd, since award shows don't announce the order of the losing nominees.

Ted concluded by telling Ron that he was "one of the best in the business."
Interesting that the idolizing of fellow sports owners came a few years back, I thought that was a recent revelation, I am sure some of the long time listeners have heard the “idol” talk for quite some time

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:00 am

uncleb67 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:56 pm
I mean, it’s no Ram’s Horn on Northwestern or Fenton Hotel (“It’s haunted you know? The Purple Gang”), but I’ve discovered and been enjoying a new-ish restaurant (in Livonia) than was a one-and-done advertiser with SportsTalk about a year ago or so. Super nice employees and very good food. I can’t say it was because of Scoop, but I do recall he read an ad for them.
What is the restaurant? I've tried to patronize some of his advertisers over the last couple of years. I was in Laurel Park the other day, and noticed that one of his old advertisers (Ryan T's Fried Chicken.) had closed up shop in the food court. They were there about a year ago.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:02 am

In the Ted Kulfan interview from 2017 that I posted, Ron said that Jerry Green had been on his show more than anyone else.

You couldn't tell that from the half-hearted tribute that Ron paid to Jerry a few weeks ago after he died.

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:32 am

Bobbert wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:02 am
In the Ted Kulfan interview from 2017 that I posted, Ron said that Jerry Green had been on his show more than anyone else.

You couldn't tell that from the half-hearted tribute that Ron paid to Jerry a few weeks ago after he died.
I noticed that, too. For someone like Ron, who lives wholly in the moment (when he's not living in the past, that is), I guess it's all about "what have you done for me lately?"

Majik

Post by Majik » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:47 pm

Momo wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:32 am
Bobbert wrote:

I noticed that, too. For someone like Ron, who lives wholly in the moment (when he's not living in the past, that is), I guess it's all about "what have you done for me lately?"
Along with a healthy dose of "what I have done for you in the past"

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:56 pm

Momo wrote:
Bobbert wrote:

That's one thing I've noticed about Ron is he's not really the sympathetic or thoughtful type when it comes to that kind of thing. He hasn't yet uttered the words that he was one of the last to speak to Jerry before he kicked the bucket like so many others.

It will be interesting to hear Ron's take on the Detroit Lions draft which has left many to scratch their heads about what happened in the first round. I wonder with the Tigers playing a night game tomorrow, instead of play by play, it will be live instant analysis of the nfl draft which begins at noon on Saturday by Scoop Cameron.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:12 pm

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:56 pm
Momo wrote:
Bobbert wrote:

That's one thing I've noticed about Ron is he's not really the sympathetic or thoughtful type when it comes to that kind of thing. He hasn't yet uttered the words that he was one of the last to speak to Jerry before he kicked the bucket like so many others.

It will be interesting to hear Ron's take on the Detroit Lions draft which has left many to scratch their heads about what happened in the first round. I wonder with the Tigers playing a night game tomorrow, instead of play by play, it will be live instant analysis of the nfl draft which begins at noon on Saturday by Scoop Cameron.
Tigers game rained out tonight so doubleheader it is tomorrow. Tigers PBP it will be

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:46 pm

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:12 pm
Tigers game rained out tonight so doubleheader it is tomorrow. Tigers PBP it will be
All that prep work for tomorrow's show now gone to waste.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:48 pm

Will be interesting to hear his thoughts on the Lions draft

Majik

Post by Majik » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:13 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:48 pm
Provided he is aware it is happening. I can't wait to hear his insight on the abilities of BH's choices, I said sarcastically.

edj

Post by edj » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:32 am

Who is the scheduled guest?

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:51 am

The bigger question is which guest will stiff Ron.

Majik

Post by Majik » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:16 am

edj wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:32 am
Who is the scheduled guest?
Maybe Ike Blessitt can come on and do color commentary to Ron’s pbp of the Tigers game.

sparty89

Post by sparty89 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:59 am

[/quote]

[/quote]

Based on today's forecast, there could be another weather delay, with Ron staring at the TV, waiting for updates from the crawl.

sparty89

Post by sparty89 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:00 am

radiofan1974 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:48 pm
I expect Ron to recite from the USA Today's NFL draft recap.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic