Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mr.Transistor

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Mr.Transistor » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:50 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:47 pm
Can’t be a show without the Catholic league story
Good gawsh. If we had a nickel for every time we heard how Ron saved high school baseball. More legend stuff

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:53 pm

"You're my idol ... it's my pleasure."

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:54 pm

Watch the cursing, Ron. This is a family show.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:55 pm

Is the Wings schedule in Ron's hotel bible?

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:56 pm

So Jokic was the big surprise ("I think a lot of people were surprised")?

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:57 pm

Ron's forgot Mark Wilson's name.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:58 pm

What college game did Ron umpire??? The Montana School of Calf Roping VS. The Nebraska School of Corn Husking???

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:59 am

Last night, a movie about multiple universes titled Everything Everywhere All At Once won many Oscar awards.

No, it's not a documentary about Ron Cameron's life.

Also, condolences to Mr. Positive for the Oscar shutout of Elvis. I haven't seen either Elvis or The Whale, but I get the impression that Brendan Fraser got the Best Actor award mostly for his makeup (which also earned The Whale an Oscar).
Last edited by Bobbert on Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:33 am

Midweek Memories

Sunday, April 9, 2017 (Hour 2)

Open line with Ron and Alex. At about the 21-minute mark, Ron talks about his current restaurant plans.

https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... 917_OL.mp3

Saturday, April 15, 2017 (Hour 1)

Interview with Rich Kincaide.

https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... ncaide.mp3

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:01 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:33 am
Midweek Memories

Sunday, April 9, 2017 (Hour 2)

Open line with Ron and Alex. At about the 21-minute mark, Ron talks about his current restaurant plans.

https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... 917_OL.mp3
Dave from Bloomfield Hills called to congratulate Ron on his just-concluded Dave Bing interview. "Helluva interview." Ron thanked him for the "compliment."

Ron was then living in Canton.

He was close to making a decision on a new restaurant, as he was down to two locations.

Ron lost Torey Luvullo's number, but he would get it back & have him on. Still waiting on that, six years later.

Ron wanted his "boy" Tony Sipp's stats. How Ron got the then-currently play Sipp to be a guest on a few occasions is an enduring mystery.

Any memories, Ron, of the then-closing Palace? "Not that I remember."

Ron was scheduled that day to be on Denny's premiere show on the Superstation, but never got the expected call from Denny. Ron wasn't happy about that.

Ron's parting shot to Kurt, who had related a Sparky Anderson story, was that "Sparky butchered the English language, just like you."

Ron told a story about putting a pro hockey team in the Silverdome. He backed out following the death of Cory Lidle. When he called the league to advise he was pulling out due to Lidle's death, he was asked what that had to do with him. It was for the best, though, because there was a lot of cheating going on in the league. "I'm not a cheater." In this vein, Ron also talked about people "ripping" him off. "I'm a poor judge of people," he said.

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:09 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Midweek Memories

Ron perhaps shouldn't have been so shocked by the recent news that former Pistons GM Oscar Feldman was still alive, because he was asked about Feldman's then-current involvement with the team. "None," he said.

Isiah Thomas said he'd do his show & gave him his number. Ron got voice mail when he called, but he doesn't leave messages. Still waiting on that appearance.

Cowboy's reference to "Herr" (Frank) Beckmann - in a queston to Rich - went over Ron's head.

We learned that Ron had been on Social Security for many years by then. Noting that Charlie Maxwell had just turned 90, Ron said he hoped to continue to be on the air when/if he himself turned 90. Kurt, whose birthday was in two days (April 17), said he was was going to go on Social Security the next year. Rich's 24th wedding anniversary was also in two days. He & his wife were celebrating that night, so he could only stay for the first hour. Ron wanted Rich to stay for the rest of the show &, in a comment that didn't age that well considering Rich's wife had only a few years left, said, "You'll have another anniversary next year."

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:37 pm

Momo wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:09 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Midweek Memories

Ron perhaps shouldn't have been so shocked by the recent news that former Pistons GM Oscar Feldman was still alive, because he was asked about Feldman's then-current involvement with the team. "None," he said.

Isiah Thomas said he'd do his show & gave him his number. Ron got voice mail when he called, but he doesn't leave messages. Still waiting on that appearance.

Cowboy's reference to "Herr" (Frank) Beckmann - in a queston to Rich - went over Ron's head.

We learned that Ron had been on Social Security for many years by then. Noting that Charlie Maxwell had just turned 90, Ron said he hoped to continue to be on the air when/if he himself turned 90. Kurt, whose birthday was in two days (April 17), said he was was going to go on Social Security the next year. Rich's 24th wedding anniversary was also in two days. He & his wife were celebrating that night, so he could only stay for the first hour. Ron wanted Rich to stay for the rest of the show &, in a comment that didn't age that well considering Rich's wife had only a few years left, said, "You'll have another anniversary next year."
Alex made a prediction that might very likely come true—Ron will die while doing a radio show.

During the interview with the bubble tea guy, I kept waiting for Ron to ask him his greatest thrill. I also expected Rich to make a "nagging wife" joke about the Honey Dew flavor.

Rich was surprisingly diplomatic about Frank Beckmann, maybe because he was still alive.

It was interesting, and sad, to hear them talk about Dave Strader, who died about six months later in spite of seeming like he was recovering from health problems.

I included the open line segment because Ron spent about three minutes summarizing every lame excuse for why he can't find the perfect restaurant. It's like that "purple squirrel" who unrealistic HR people expect will meet every requirement of a job posting.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:23 pm

[/quote]

Alex made a prediction that might very likely come true—Ron will die while doing a radio show.

[/quote]
I would not be surprised if such a thing happened. If it did occur, which lucky caller would carry on the tradition that Ron has carried, gleefully I might add, with so many elderly guests? " I was the last person to talk to Ron Cameron" They would then have to carry on the odious burden as the grim reaper until the day they are called home and pass on those duties to another individual.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:08 pm

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:23 pm

[/quote]
I would not be surprised if such a thing happened. If it did occur, which lucky caller would carry on the tradition that Ron has carried, gleefully I might add, with so many elderly guests? " I was the last person to talk to Ron Cameron" They would then have to carry on the odious burden as the grim reaper until the day they are called home and pass on those duties to another individual.
[/quote]

If there’s any inkling that the end is nigh, there won’t be enough phone lines at WDTK to field the flood of callers wishing to claim that honor. I trust Cowboy will have a specific message he wants Ron to impart to his many departed loved ones.

edj

Post by edj » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:32 pm

Imagine Cowboy on another show. “By the way Ron Cameron died one year ago today, three days after my cousin but not the same year…”

How would these low rated AM stations survive without R Sizzle?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic