Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Major snowstorm brewing

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
blizzard

Re: Major snowstorm brewing

Post by blizzard » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:40 am

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:49 pm

NWS long range has chilly air dry 7 to 14 days out I saw it on Mon will check again tomorrow if they have gone wetter in the long range. As long as there aren't any more ice storms this year that will be a good thing.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:58 am

Widespread 8 to 12 inch totals have already fallen between M-6 and M-179 on the west side of the state, and it's still snowing hard in those areas!

Trapped mid level moisture presumably aided by a mid-level flow off Lake Michigan (even though surface winds are out of the N or NE) is greatly enhancing snowfall intensity in that region.

I think some small areas of West MI could see 15 to 18 inch totals.

Fortunately, I'm still expecting only 3 to 6 inches for Metro Detroit. Most areas will be on the higher end of the scale.

By the way, some folks on TV who claimed today's snow would be "fluffy" are full of shit. True, it's not nearly as dense as last week's snow (that was an extraordinary event). With a storm track through OH and temps in the low 30s to perhaps mid 30s, this snowfall will be on the wetter side.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:23 am

My wife and I were talking last night about how you used to have to get the snow before school was canceled. We were expecting Brighton Area Schools to shut down last night. South Lyon did, Novi did, so we figured we were next. My employer even gave me the day off yesterday because I wouldn't be able to do my job with that much snow, anyway.

Guess where the kids are? Yep. At school. Stayed open. Figures.

Anyway, I thought we were supposed to have some below average, cold temperatures? I'm seeing highs in the 40s as early as Wednesday and Thursday. No complaints, here.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:47 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:23 am
My wife and I were talking last night about how you used to have to get the snow before school was canceled. We were expecting Brighton Area Schools to shut down last night. South Lyon did, Novi did, so we figured we were next. My employer even gave me the day off yesterday because I wouldn't be able to do my job with that much snow, anyway.

Anyway, I thought we were supposed to have some below average, cold temperatures? I'm seeing highs in the 40s as early as Wednesday and Thursday. No complaints, here.
Remember the average right now is 43 and climbing every couple of days. So if you see mid 40’s then you’re only hitting the mark.

The best I see is 47 and rain Thursday and that’s the only one above average… but rain likely means cold air behind it rather than 50’s and 60’s.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:11 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:47 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:23 am

Remember the average right now is 43 and climbing every couple of days. So if you see mid 40’s then you’re only hitting the mark.

The best I see is 47 and rain Thursday and that’s the only one above average… but rain likely means cold air behind it rather than 50’s and 60’s.
I believe this winter totally proves my theory that the weather is moving up increasingly year over year. This has to be one of the warmest Februarys I've ever seen. Usually by the middle of the month, we have that snow that never melts and we get another inch every day. And that's before the weeks of 0-10 degree weather. And this year I worked more in the rain than anything. Below freezing hindered my job a handful of times. But it seems we're staying cooler into May and June, staying hot well into September, and not getting those major snows and cold spells until February. Maybe it's me because I work outside. I don't know. It sure seems that way to me.
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:50 pm

February was indeed a top 10 warmest for Detroit, if I remember correctly. It was also one of the 25 least snowy.

I'm happy to say today's system wasn't that bad over here. Probably 4 inches fell over the course of the storm, but by mid morning, some of the snow on the ground already began melting. I think some of the initial snow also melted on contact. Snow depth in my front yard is only an inch right now. Probably a couple inches left out back (no grass tips visible there).

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:20 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:50 pm
February was indeed a top 10 warmest for Detroit, if I remember correctly. It was also one of the 25 least snowy.

I'm happy to say today's system wasn't that bad over here. Probably 4 inches fell over the course of the storm, but by mid morning, some of the snow on the ground already began melting. I think some of the initial snow also melted on contact. Snow depth in my front yard is only an inch right now. Probably a couple inches left out back (no grass tips visible there).
Yes, we're almost back to where we were before it started. Never had to pick up a shovel. Whatever. Still no complaints.
-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:25 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:50 pm

NWS Usually puts up a monthly summary with a top 20 list for warmest/coldest, wettest/driest, Snowy/Snowless by year so for the record February was the:
4th Warmest in Detroit
12th Warmest in Flint
10th Warmest in Saginaw

8th Wettest at Flint
6th Wettest at Saginaw

6th Least snowy at Detroit

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:20 pm

Thanks for that info.

Even more historically snow-less than I had thought. :)

We're making up for lost time this month on the snow side.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:22 pm

I'm pretty happy with this year's snow totals. My voice activated snow blower moved out last year.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:25 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:20 pm
Thanks for that info.

Even more historically snow-less than I had thought. :)

We're making up for lost time this month on the snow side.
Yes we are... I am somewhat concerned that we may have a slow spring warmup and I may have plants that suffer a little... the bulbs and buds have begun to do their thing...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:50 pm

We got a dusting in TC. MSP is getting hit now, and we usually get their weather.

Remember that this is a La Nínã winter, so things should be a bit different.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:57 am

Bryce wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:22 pm
I'm pretty happy with this year's snow totals. My voice activated snow blower moved out last year.
LOL
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:14 am

Here's some revealing news from DTE...
DTE Energy cut its operations budget to meet earnings projections months before a historic ice storm on Feb. 22 left more than 450,000 of its customers without power, company officials said recently as they released year-end earnings.

Job openings went unfilled. Contractors were eliminated, and overtime limited. Maintenance work was postponed, though a DTE representative says its tree trimming program is not a part of recent cuts.

The mid-November budget cuts helped keep DTE’s 100-year-old dividend payout streak to investors alive: Three weeks before the ice storm, the Detroit-based utility announced a 95-cent per-share dividend for shareholders, bringing the full-year cash payout for investors to $710 million.

The day after the storm, DTE CEO Gerardo Norcia hosted a conference call with Wall Street analysts, telling them the company delivered “strong financial results, continuing our excellent track record of creating shareholder value.”
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic