Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:49 am

I don't need seven minutes of weather in a 30 minute newscast unless there are active SVR warnings in effect. They need to put more hard news on the air, in my opinion.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:09 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:49 am
I don't need seven minutes of weather in a 30 minute newscast unless there are active SVR warnings in effect. They need to put more hard news on the air, in my opinion.
Bet you money they launched before they had the ability to put more hard news on the air.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:18 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:09 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Bet you money they launched before they had the ability to put more hard news on the air.

I think they are going with the KDKA model, as far as airing more news than syndicated programs. Notice how Dr. Phil is now at 3 pm. Sounds familiar? The show airs on fellow CBS O&O brethren KDKA in the exact same time slot. We all know Drew Barrymore will be moved as soon as the 4pm newscast debuts. Heard morning and midday newscasts are coming soon.

As far as hard hitting news, they didn’t do too bad last week. They were great in covering the state of the state address and the Tyrie Nichols coverage.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:09 am

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:18 am
Rate This wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:09 am
MWmetalhead wrote:

I think they are going with the KDKA model, as far as airing more news than syndicated programs. Notice how Dr. Phil is now at 3 pm. Sounds familiar? The show airs on fellow CBS O&O brethren KDKA in the exact same time slot. We all know Drew Barrymore will be moved as soon as the 4pm newscast debuts. Heard morning and midday newscasts are coming soon.

As far as hard hitting news, they didn’t do too bad last week. They were great in covering the state of the state address and the Tyrie Nichols coverage.
I was referring to filling time by doing the weather in full twice in 17 minutes. They must not have the resources yet to fill that time more constructively.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:24 am

True.

Interesting they just posted another weather anchor role. Must be for weekends. Kylee Miller must be going to mornings.

https://careers.paramount.com/search/?c ... thfield%20

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:29 am

Saw the KCAL/KCBS newscasts and what an utter train wreck. I can’t believe I’m saying this but WWJ is better and their newscasts are only 8 days old.
Last edited by Deleted User 7620 on Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:42 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
I watched it for the first time last night. I was interested in hearing more about the stories on the ticker tape across the bottom, instead of what they reported.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:02 pm

I agree with Round Six and with Rate This.

I also agree with CircleWXYZ that KCBS sucks when it comes to news. I'm certain they trail KNBC and KABC badly. Probably KTLA, too. Not sure about Fox 11, though.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:02 pm

The Amyre Makupson, Sr story was good, but today, they need to focus on more hard hitting stuff. Like Rate This, they probably don’t have the resources yet to do hard hitting stuff but I want them to do actually investigations in the coming months. They have the on air talent to pull it off.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:34 pm

Terrance's mic keeps cutting out.

The ugly steel beams are back in the anchor desk shot, too. I feel like the walls are going to close in when watching 62.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:55 pm

I saw that. Nice recovery by Rachelle Graham. She covered for Terrence very nicely. They do have a lot of on the air chemistry.

They had some new guy from KAREtv in Minneapolis filling in for Jeff Skversky today. The new hire’s name is Kris Laudien. I actually like him. He’s better than Jeff in a lot of ways. I’m assuming he’s one of the morning anchors. He and Shaina played off each other very well.
Last edited by Deleted User 7620 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:24 pm

They need to build a real, professional looking news studio and scrap the high school audio-visual room look. They can call it a working newsroom all they want, but it looks and feels incredibly low budget. The small set they utilize looks like a kid put it together in a woodshop class and someone wired a TV into it. Also, the audio sounds weird too for some reason. I don't know if it's the acoustics of the studio, but if I watch 2/4/7's newscasts their audio quality doesn't sound poor like this.

CBS needs to take the Michigan Matters studio and reformat that into a real, updated looking news studio because what they're doing just doesn't look good at all.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:57 am

Beautifully stated, Tater.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:37 am

Personally, the set is fine. As long as they deliver good news, I could care less about the set. So far from what I’ve read, the overall feedback is mostly positive. It appears the network is happy as well.

The audio stuff truthfully, is just minor. They’ve appeared to quickly fix it
Last edited by Deleted User 7620 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:37 am

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:37 am
Personally, the set is fine. As long as they deliver good news, I could care less about the set. So far from what I’ve read, the overall feedback is mostly positive. It appears the network is happy as well.
Circle I agree with your statement 100%. Anybody can nitpic but to go from nothing to what they've got now is pretty darn good. Add to that adding the 5PM hour broadcast a week later while maintaining the quality isn't bad either.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic