Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Trouble at ABC/Disney

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 7620

Trouble at ABC/Disney

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:01 pm

Plate Cap

Re: Trouble at ABC/Disney

Post by Plate Cap » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:24 pm

One would think ABC would celebrate it. A good deal of the commercial content features interracial couples.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Majik

Post by Majik » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:15 pm

I believe when the story first broke it was mentioned that both were married. I did not see it mentioned in the linked story above. You would think that fact would play a part in the company’s decision.

Herm

Post by Herm » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:48 am

Like… I understand their hesitation to continue having these two anchor a show together since so much of their success hinges on public perception, but they really did nothing “wrong”. The immorality of the entire situation ends outside of their marriages. They’re consenting adults that fell in love with each other. The company states that they haven’t violated any rules. I say, let them keep working.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:48 am

Herm wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:48 am
... They’re consenting adults that fell in love with each other. ...
Based solely on what I have read and heard so far, this may be a stretch. Got a feeling this is just an affair. Neither one was looking for a long term relationship. And Majik you are correct. They are both married. I also have seen that he was concurrently having an affair with another staffer at ABC. Don't sound to like he was in love.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:44 am

Circle Seven wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:48 am
Herm wrote:
Based solely on what I have read and heard so far, this may be a stretch. Got a feeling this is just an affair. Neither one was looking for a long term relationship. And Majik you are correct. They are both married. I also have seen that he was concurrently having an affair with another staffer at ABC. Don't sound to like he was in love.
Love is pretty relative…. It explains why some people practice polygamy for example…. You can love more than one person at once.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:35 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:44 am
Circle Seven wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:48 am
Herm wrote:
Love is pretty relative…. It explains why some people practice polygamy for example…. You can love more than one person at once.
Gotta agree, the fact they are married has nothing to do with the situation.
According to a recent study, 4-9% of Americans take part in open relationships. Though, as previously stated, it is complicated to study these types of relationships as some partners are more secretive and sometime dishonest about their marital affairs

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

jsf

Post by jsf » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:43 pm

As a stock holder of Disney I have been upset with a lot the company has done lately and i hope with Iger coming back things will get better.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:16 pm

jsf wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:43 pm
As a stock holder of Disney I have been upset with a lot the company has done lately and i hope with Iger coming back things will get better.
Unfortunately, I doubt it. He is the one who set so much of the shit ball rolling. We can hope for the best though. Hopefully he and the top execs/board realized that it is probably better to make things people actually want to see and that it isnt good business to openly hate and disparage fan bases.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:54 pm

dial-it-in wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:16 pm
jsf wrote:
Unfortunately, I doubt it. He is the one who set so much of the shit ball rolling. We can hope for the best though. Hopefully he and the top execs/board realized that it is probably better to make things people actually want to see and that it isnt good business to openly hate and disparage fan bases.
Which fan base? They most valuable customer is under 40.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:21 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:54 pm
dial-it-in wrote:
jsf wrote:
Their "most valuable customer" is a customer with money and who is willing to spend it. Disney's (Marvel's) choices to a large extent have undeniably been bad recently. Yes, there have been a few winners here and there but for the past 3 years or so the Disney/Marvel products have been exceptionally meh if not outright bad. Most notably several high profile flops have come and gone. The cratering stock price proves this as its been even worse than the market as a whole.
The majority of Star Wars fans openly hate the direction the new leadership is taking the franchise. Star Wars should be a cash cow for the company but instead they have openly and aggressively attacked their most loyal fans.
Marvel is more interested in "checking boxes" than telling good stories as evidenced by the preachy story lines, show and movie choices and forced agendas.
Merchandising is also down across the board.
Facts are facts and companies dont fire CEO's for no reason. The bottom line is still king and if Disney continues to underperform for investors and make underwhelming preachy content for fans expect lots of unhappy people.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:17 pm

dial-it-in wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:21 pm
TC Talks wrote:
dial-it-in wrote:
jsf wrote:
Their "most valuable customer" is a customer with money and who is willing to spend it. Disney's (Marvel's) choices to a large extent have undeniably been bad recently. Yes, there have been a few winners here and there but for the past 3 years or so the Disney/Marvel products have been exceptionally meh if not outright bad. Most notably several high profile flops have come and gone. The cratering stock price proves this as its been even worse than the market as a whole.
The majority of Star Wars fans openly hate the direction the new leadership is taking the franchise. Star Wars should be a cash cow for the company but instead they have openly and aggressively attacked their most loyal fans.
Marvel is more interested in "checking boxes" than telling good stories as evidenced by the preachy story lines, show and movie choices and forced agendas.
Facts are facts and companies dont fire CEO's for no reason. The bottom line is still king and if Disney continues to underperform for investors and make underwhelming preachy content for fans expect lots of unhappy people.
I'd be careful doubting how wedded these people are to demographic numbers between 18 and 54. A 65 year old with money doesn't cut it.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:10 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:17 pm
dial-it-in wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
dial-it-in wrote:
jsf wrote:
I'd be careful doubting how wedded these people are to demographic numbers between 18 and 54. A 65 year old with money doesn't cut it.
While investors and shareholders undoubtedly skew older the fan bases of Star Wars, Marvel etc. run the gamut from kids to boomers. Star Wars and Marvel fans are exactly the type of fans that WANT to spend their money on merchandise and new entertainment. What they dont want is a company telling them theyre bad people because they appreciate and respect the actual lore of the story and characters or that dismisses their political views as "troubling". Disney/Marvel/Star Wars have both often dived head first into preachy story telling instead of good story telling that remains true to the concept. Returning CEO Bob Iger has signaled that he wants to "tamp down" on some of the political stuff so we may see a refocus to quality over agenda. That remains to be see however as Iger was the guy who allowed Disney to stray down the disastrous path in the first place.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:33 am

dial-it-in wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:10 am
Rate This wrote:
dial-it-in wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
dial-it-in wrote:
jsf wrote:
While investors and shareholders undoubtedly skew older the fan bases of Star Wars, Marvel etc. run the gamut from kids to boomers. Star Wars and Marvel fans are exactly the type of fans that WANT to spend their money on merchandise and new entertainment. What they dont want is a company telling them theyre bad people because they appreciate and respect the actual lore of the story and characters or that dismisses their political views as "troubling". Disney/Marvel/Star Wars have both often dived head first into preachy story telling instead of good story telling that remains true to the concept. Returning CEO Bob Iger has signaled that he wants to "tamp down" on some of the political stuff so we may see a refocus to quality over agenda. That remains to be see however as Iger was the guy who allowed Disney to stray down the disastrous path in the first place.
Since I’m a Star Trek fan and not a Star Wars fan… spare me… preachy is part of the game.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:39 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:33 am
dial-it-in wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:10 am
Rate This wrote:
dial-it-in wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
dial-it-in wrote:
jsf wrote:
Since I’m a Star Trek fan and not a Star Wars fan… spare me… preachy is part of the game.
Oh, absolutely 100% on that one. The Star Trek franchise has been a bit preachy from day 1.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic