Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Majik

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Majik » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:32 pm

Momo wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:06 pm
Majik wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:11 pm
So what else would the curators of the RCM track down for display?

I would assume the Super Fan suit. Or was that just a headshot pasted on a picture? Maybe a bellboy hat from the Pick Fort Shelby Hotel. Menus from his various eating establishments. A balls and strikes clicker from his illustrious umpiring days, or an old fashioned chest protector. Copies of Sports Fans Journal.

What else could we expect?
At the entrance of the museum, I'd like to see a statue of a little boy looking up admiringly at Ron, symbolic of all the little boys who grew up emulating the great one.

The curators would have to rely on artist renderings of (i) Ron's meeting with Ty Cobb, (ii) the various sports dignitaries it was Ron's honor to be the last to talk to or see, and (iii) Ron's Hawaiian vacation.

I'm imaging there would also be special wings devoted to (i) Ron's crucial vote that saved the Catholic Baseball League, (ii) Ron's role in John Smoltz's HOF career, and, of course, (iii) Ron & the JFK assassination.
i - Also Ron’s abandoning his elevator to go bother Muhammad Ali at the Hotel, leaving numerous guests waiting a half hour for the lift.
ii- dead dignitaries drawings could be caricatures that include Ron in grim reaper garb.
iii - Ron & Gabe (or was it Corey) getting leid in Hawaii.

i - So what was the story of Ron saving CBL. Would Catholic schools not have baseball programs now without him coming to the rescue.
ii - didn’t Ron claim to be an advisor to Jimmy Carson also.
iii - maybe display a chunk of sod from the grassy knoll and move the Lincoln limo from the Henry Ford to the RCM.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:29 pm

Don't forget our hero standing next to Al Capone at The Fenton Hotel.

edj

Post by edj » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:33 pm

A photo of Ron and his late BFF Cory Lidle.

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:21 pm

Ryan is the worst because he doesn’t have a job on real radio. His show in WDFN was terrible. God knows why 105.1 gave him a gig. I have to turn off Riger. Way too out there with his conspiracies.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:40 am

Bobbert wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:29 pm
ShempLives wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:31 am
As of 9:29am June 18, 2022 the June 12, 2022 show's podcast is still not available on WDTK's website. While the station could use the defense of "the opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the views of the station" regarding the actual broadcast, providing the podcast via their website might be seen as WDTK's imprimatur of Mr. Cameron's worldview of the Detroit Tiger organization. Perhaps this is the reason for the conspicuous absence of the recording. (Granted technical ineptitude is a plausible scenario.)
I'm going to skim through the 4/10 program, to see how well he predicted the NBA postseason. That was the last day of the NBA regular season.
I listened and good ol' Kurt asked Ron what teams he thought would be in the NBA finals. Ron said Miami in the East, and either Utah or Phoenix in the West. Kurt said Miami and Phoenix. Of course we all know it was Boston and Golden State.

Also, with two weeks left in the NHL season, Ron picked Carolina to win it all. They lost in the second round.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:49 am

As we once again tune in to the father figure of Detroit sports talk radio, two topics tower over all others:
  • This week's NBA draft, the source for one of Ron's favorite topics—second guessing the Pistons' first round pick. Will Ron go on record with one definite pick, or will he hedge his bets and throw out several names?
  • The countdown to the opening this Friday of the Elvis movie. What final inspiring words of motivation will Mr. Positive speak to get us all racing for the turnstyles?
Last edited by Bobbert on Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:56 am

Majik wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:32 pm
Momo wrote:
Majik wrote:

I would assume the Super Fan suit. Or was that just a headshot pasted on a picture? Maybe a bellboy hat from the Pick Fort Shelby Hotel. Menus from his various eating establishments. A balls and strikes clicker from his illustrious umpiring days, or an old fashioned chest protector. Copies of Sports Fans Journal.

At the entrance of the museum, I'd like to see a statue of a little boy looking up admiringly at Ron, symbolic of all the little boys who grew up emulating the great one.

The curators would have to rely on artist renderings of (i) Ron's meeting with Ty Cobb, (ii) the various sports dignitaries it was Ron's honor to be the last to talk to or see, and (iii) Ron's Hawaiian vacation.

I'm imaging there would also be special wings devoted to (i) Ron's crucial vote that saved the Catholic Baseball League, (ii) Ron's role in John Smoltz's HOF career, and, of course, (iii) Ron & the JFK assassination.
i - Also Ron’s abandoning his elevator to go bother Muhammad Ali at the Hotel, leaving numerous guests waiting a half hour for the lift.
ii- dead dignitaries drawings could be caricatures that include Ron in grim reaper garb.

i - So what was the story of Ron saving CBL. Would Catholic schools not have baseball programs now without him coming to the rescue.
iii - maybe display a chunk of sod from the grassy knoll and move the Lincoln limo from the Henry Ford to the RCM.
Also, a reproduction of one of Ron's hotel rooms, with sports magazines scattered all over an unmade bed. A desktop covered with scraps of paper with phone numbers written on them. A television tuned to an endless loop of Match Game. On the floor, some old loafers with an accumulation of mold (thanks to Ron's no-socks look).
Last edited by Bobbert on Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:12 am

Ron probably hasn't sent out too many Father's Day cards in his life.

Detroit Free Press, 1/26/1990

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:39 am

So who do we think will be Ron's guest tonight?

(a) Dick Tracewski
(b) Judge Crater
(c) Jimmy Hoffa
(d) Amelia Earhart
(e) None of the above

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:45 am

Momo wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:39 am
So who do we think will be Ron's guest tonight?

(a) Dick Tracewski
(b) Judge Crater
(c) Jimmy Hoffa
(d) Amelia Earhart
(e) None of the above
Going to go with E-But we will get a “update” on Jim leyland coming soon. We will also get a update on all the other future guests during the “summer of ron” perhaps a update on when he plans to meet with Chris illitch as well

I am sure one of tonight’s topics will also be the Tigers PR department-the new version of Blake griffin for Ron
Last edited by radiofan1974 on Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:46 am

Bobbert wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:56 am
Majik wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:32 pm
Momo wrote:
Majik wrote:

Also, a reproduction of one of Ron's hotel rooms, with sports magazines scattered all over an unmade bed. A desktop covered with scraps of paper with phone numbers written on them. A television tuned to an endless loop of Match Game. On the floor, some old loafers with an accumulation of mold (thanks to Ron's no-socks look).
Possibly a ESPN 30 for 30 on all the maids that have thrown out numbers and former producers that have “worked” with Ron

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:01 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:49 am
As we once again tune in to the father figure of Detroit sports talk radio, two topics tower over all others:
  • This week's NBA draft, the source for one of Ron's favorite topics—second guessing the Pistons' first round pick. Will Ron go on record with one definite pick, or will he hedge his bets and throw out several names?
  • The countdown to the opening this Friday of the Elvis movie. What final inspiring words of motivation will Mr. Positive speak to get us all racing for the turnstyles?
Mr Positive already has me motivated.Can't wait to see the Elvis movie.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:09 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:46 am
Possibly a ESPN 30 for 30 on all the maids that have thrown out numbers and former producers that have “worked” with Ron
Getting a 30 for 30 on his life would really be the capstone of Ron’s career. Maybe help to put a few more bucks in his pocket, so he wouldn’t have to eat at haunted restaurants. With a little more financial security, Ron could get also his first can opener & credit card.

edj

Post by edj » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:10 pm

Miguel Cabrera has to be a close second as the new Blake Griffin. Hope to hear Dave in Windsor’s superb takes on him tonight.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic