Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Momo

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Momo » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:20 am

The notion that Ron would be providing his expert analysis on the Pistons play this season wholly by poring over box scores & player statistics, brought to mind this bit of Ronald Reagan's sports broadcasting history:

"Ronald Reagan himself worked as a sports announcer for WHO Radio in Des Moines, Iowa during the 1930s. He would call Chicago Cubs games, but rather than being at the game, he would recreate the action from nothing but a slip of paper typed by a telegraph operator who was transcribing plays sent by Morse code."

https://www.reaganlibrary.gov/virtual-e ... rse%20code.

Majik

Post by Majik » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:46 am

Instead of trying to get a letter to Ron, since he is resistant to that, maybe send a telegram to him at the station

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:23 am

Or Ron's fans can wait in line outside the studio to personally deliver their questions to him as he exits his limousine..

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/phot ... popup=true

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:37 am

Momo wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:23 am
Or Ron's fans can wait in line outside the studio to personally deliver their questions to him as he exits his limousine..

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/phot ... popup=true
Majik
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:46 am

Instead of trying to get a letter to Ron, since he is resistant to that, maybe send a telegram to him at the station

Malik and momo-I about spit out my coffee in laughter reading these two posts :)

Great way to start the work day :)

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:12 am

Ron exiting his limousine, to throngs of awaiting fans:

https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/rock- ... 4-14804565

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:38 am

The day Ron discovered that he had neither BUZZR nor Bally Sports on his television:

Majik

Post by Majik » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:57 pm

Momo wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:20 am
The notion that Ron would be providing his expert analysis on the Pistons play this season wholly by poring over box scores & player statistics, brought to mind this bit of Ronald Reagan's sports broadcasting history:

"Ronald Reagan himself worked as a sports announcer for WHO Radio in Des Moines, Iowa during the 1930s. He would call Chicago Cubs games, but rather than being at the game, he would recreate the action from nothing but a slip of paper typed by a telegraph operator who was transcribing plays sent by Morse code."

https://www.reaganlibrary.gov/virtual-e ... rse%20code.
I wonder if Jim Price was doing the expert analysis on those broadcasts.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:07 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:38 am
The day Ron discovered that he had neither BUZZR nor Bally Sports on his television:

Better with his fists than a gun:

https://outsider.com/entertainment/elvi ... -this-day/

Majik

Post by Majik » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:25 pm

Momo wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:07 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:38 am

Better with his fists than a gun:

https://outsider.com/entertainment/elvi ... -this-day/
If he had a gun, I’m sure he’d have to keep the one bullet in his pocket.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:10 pm

I know Ron guards his role as an advisor jealously, but now might be time for him to weigh in once again with his highly valued counsel:

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/john-sm ... nated.html

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:02 pm

I listened to half the show today. I plan on finishing tomorrow. Some thoughts:

- Can they think of a different promo than Daryl Wood’s Southern Colorado caller? It truly amazes him that someone out of Metro Detroit can pick up his show on WLQV.

- I know Kurt from Fraser gets dogged on here, but he did have a good point about how the White Sox’s are doing things. Even if Ron didn’t share his opinion, it was a good take.

- Mr. Positive tried his best to promote the buzz board. Perhaps Mr. Positive can teach Ron how social media can work to his advantage (more than Martin posting the weather on Ron’s Twitter feed). Mr Positive: since Ron has a strong Windsor contingent, ask him to tell some stories of Windsor Arena or his short lived show on CKLW.

- I heard for years Gary from East Tawas mentioned and I finally got to hear him! You know, if he was in studio for an hour, I feel he could prick and probe at Ron to tell some stories he shouldn’t tell. There was sure some dirty Sima laundry he was trying to get out.

- Ron, I’m begging you, get some high school media co-op student to do your ad reads. Record them and hit play. Better yet, have them type them out for you, so that you don’t have to struggle reading your own writing. I’m sure if you ask, they would type it on an old Olympia Typewriter for you

- How does Ron get a copy of the USA Today Sports Weekly? It’s a pretty expensive subscription for our Bally Sports-less motel dweller

All and all, I love listening. It’s comforting. It’s like listening to grandpa around the camp fire.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:20 am

windsorjoe wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:02 pm
I listened to half the show today. I plan on finishing tomorrow. Some thoughts:

- Can they think of a different promo than Daryl Wood’s Southern Colorado caller? It truly amazes him that someone out of Metro Detroit can pick up his show on WLQV.

- I know Kurt from Fraser gets dogged on here, but he did have a good point about how the White Sox’s are doing things. Even if Ron didn’t share his opinion, it was a good take.

- Mr. Positive tried his best to promote the buzz board. Perhaps Mr. Positive can teach Ron how social media can work to his advantage (more than Martin posting the weather on Ron’s Twitter feed). Mr Positive: since Ron has a strong Windsor contingent, ask him to tell some stories of Windsor Arena or his short lived show on CKLW.

- I heard for years Gary from East Tawas mentioned and I finally got to hear him! You know, if he was in studio for an hour, I feel he could prick and probe at Ron to tell some stories he shouldn’t tell. There was sure some dirty Sima laundry he was trying to get out.

- Ron, I’m begging you, get some high school media co-op student to do your ad reads. Record them and hit play. Better yet, have them type them out for you, so that you don’t have to struggle reading your own writing. I’m sure if you ask, they would type it on an old Olympia Typewriter for you

- How does Ron get a copy of the USA Today Sports Weekly? It’s a pretty expensive subscription for our Bally Sports-less motel dweller

All and all, I love listening. It’s comforting. It’s like listening to grandpa around the camp fire.
Nice analysis and good suggestions. I'd like to hear Gary more, too. He can go off on some interesting tangents, like the number of burlesque houses in Detroit in the 1940s and 1950s. Mr. Positive is in a good position to suggest topics for Ron. I like your camp fire analogy.
Last edited by Bobbert on Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:22 am

R.I.P. Gilbert Gottfried. One of the few people in human history whose mixture of the frantic, the absurd, and self-generated melodrama matched Ron's.

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:18 am

windsorjoe wrote:
That replaced the long-running promo from Wood's predecessor at his time slot, the late John McCulloch. Which leads me to wonder if McCulloch’s widow is still waiting by the phone for Ron’s oft-promised condolence call. Because you know no one delivers the empathy better than Ron.

Majik

Post by Majik » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:14 am

Momo wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:18 am
windsorjoe wrote:
That replaced the long-running promo from Wood's predecessor at his time slot, the late John McCulloch. Which leads me to wonder if McCulloch’s widow is still waiting by the phone for Ron’s oft-promised condolence call. Because you know no one delivers the empathy better than Ron.
Can’t you imagine Ron delivering a eulogy at any funeral and turning it into a self aggrandizing speech extolling his own virtues while completely ignoring the deceased.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic