Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Bobbert » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:21 pm

Momo wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:19 am
I expect Ron will not dispense with his usual airing of all of his grievances about Beckmann - his stabbing Bob Reynolds & Ernie in the back, thwarted in his attempt to stab Paul W. in the back, all the stories he could tell about the people at WJR detesting him (with his death, will Ron be more free to speak?) - but will also note that he was too young to die. But if Beckmann was a smoker, we’ll hear, “If you smoke, you croke.” Ron might then segue into talking about all those who died recently. It’s not a subject Ron’s something comfortable discussing, but he may even mention that Rick Kincaide’s wife had a stroke & died mere days after Rich himself was a guest for all three hours. I trust Cowboy will bring up Jeremy Giambi’s suicide, & that might lead Ron to wax eloquent about Cory Lidle (& forget about the Super Bowl altogether).
You pretty much nailed it, including the smoking. I guess nothing will stop Ron from telling us his true feelings about somebody.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:23 pm

uncleb67 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:41 pm
ShempLives wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:42 am
My biggest question about tonight's show is: Will a podcast eventually be available?
I was thinking the same thing: I never am able to catch SportsTalk live on Sunday night, but there is an audio “comfort food” aspect of catching up with the podcast, when made available at a later date (sometime, a day or two or three later, sometimes not all!!!). I’ll make time later in the week to digest the three hours of SportsTalk in a couple of easily-digested chunks.
I don't think there will be much demand for a podcast for this week's show, unless they want an official record of Ron's reaction to Frank Beckmann's death. Other than that, it was mostly a lot of messed up commentary about the Super Bowl.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:37 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:23 pm
uncleb67 wrote:
ShempLives wrote:
My biggest question about tonight's show is: Will a podcast eventually be available?
I was thinking the same thing: I never am able to catch SportsTalk live on Sunday night, but there is an audio “comfort food” aspect of catching up with the podcast, when made available at a later date (sometime, a day or two or three later, sometimes not all!!!). I’ll make time later in the week to digest the three hours of SportsTalk in a couple of easily-digested chunks.
I don't think there will be much demand for a podcast for this week's show, unless they want an official record of Ron's reaction to Frank Beckmann's death. Other than that, it was mostly a lot of messed up commentary about the Super Bowl.
I would agree basically play by play of the Super Bowl

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:04 am

Bobbert wrote:
uncleb67 wrote:
ShempLives wrote:
C’mon, with SportsTalk, any podcast is a good podcast. Especially since most weeks, Ron keeps the people wanting by having either the wrong or no podcast posted!

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:13 am

I failed to comment on Ron’s (predictably self-centered) reaction last night when Cowboy brought up Kim Novak on the occasion of her 89th birthday: “I never met her.” As Ron would say, “Really?!?!” I know that Ron's audience is predominantly female, and sure, there was that scandal sheet item back in the day that linked him with Mamie Van Doren, but in what alternative universe would Scoop & Kim Novak‘s paths ever have crossed?!

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:15 am

uncleb67 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:04 am
Bobbert wrote:
uncleb67 wrote:
ShempLives wrote:
C’mon, with SportsTalk, any podcast is a good podcast. Especially since most weeks, Ron keeps the people wanting by having either the wrong or no podcast posted!
There was something semi-interesting in the third hour. Some guy apparently ran into Mr. Positive in public and they had a good discussion about Life. I didn't quite catch all of it because my cat was pestering me for attention.
Last edited by Bobbert on Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:25 am

I missed yesterday's show. Looks like I didn't miss much.If I would have known Mr Positive was going to,call more than once I would have tuned in.From what I have been reading the show stunk.Expect Martin,to put up this podcast quickly.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:31 am

No shocker that the podcasts are now into the second week of not being posted. Not like this is award-winning radio, but it’s also something I wouldn’t mind hearing!

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:43 pm

uncleb67 wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:31 am
No shocker that the podcasts are now into the second week of not being posted. Not like this is award-winning radio, but it’s also something I wouldn’t mind hearing!
If you completely missed the show, Mr. Positive opened the proceedings by asking Ron about the "elephant in the room" (Frank Beckmann). Mr. P talked about all the inquiring minds on the Buzzboard who wanted to know what Ron thought.

Ron replied with his usual negative stuff about Beckmann (back-stabber, etc.) but he tried to temper it by saying he didn't "like to see anybody die." Ron repeated that double-edged reaction to Beckmann's death several times throughout the show.

Much of the rest of the show was Ron trying to give a play-by-play of the Super Bowl which was obviously out of sync with what his callers were watching. It was pretty painful listening, on a night when I decided to listen to the whole show. Kurt helped out Ron by calling in the half-time stats, which Ron somehow couldn't access.

There were a few suspenseful moments at the end when Ron couldn't decide if he would stay in the studio to watch the rest of the game or take it in on his car radio and in his motel room. He finally decided on the latter.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:15 pm

Podcasts are up!

Wildbill

Post by Wildbill » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:28 pm

Why is there so much info about Ron Cameron every day?

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:23 pm

Wildbill wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:28 pm
My response to a similar question posed last February, where I first noted that Ron was an SNL character come to life & that it was unfortunate that 80 pages of posts in the initial thread had been accidentally deleted:

"It’s unfortunate that the podcasts from his previous station - a station from which he was ultimately banned from doing in-studio shows due to his explosive diarrhea - have, finally, been removed, as I could have referred you any number of them to give you first-hand evidence of how entertainingly bad Ron is. Think of the “boom goes the dynamite” kid reporter. Then consider that he’s been doing this for, as he claims, over 50 years. His former partner, Bob Page, said he’s the only person he knows who’s never gotten any better after being on a job for so long.

But being laughingly bad, e.g., reading from box scores & league standings, at what he does only scratches the surface when it comes to Ron whose last 30+ years in radio has been in brokered radio. You have to also factor in the mind-numbing narcissism. That was most recently on display when, discussing his plans for, at the age of 76, yet another much-hyped, doomed to fail, small dive restaurant he’s always talking about opening, he said his role would largely be to “meet the people & sign autographs.” This from a man whose listening audience probably couldn’t even fill the restaurant! His “interviews” of (mostly repeat) guests from yesteryear (which always include the same type questions) are mere springboards to talk about himself, repeating the same, perhaps apocryphal, stories he tells ad nauseam. His colossal narcissism is also exhibited the countless times he tells his dubious stories about being Ernie Harwell’s best friend at the end of his life, one of the few people Gordie Howe recognized in his latter years, & the people who tell him he was their “idol.”

Before he got called out on the practice, Ron - whose current abused “producer” told him he only had “7 callers” - would routinely rely on what he would describe as “insurance company callers.” They were people, he would say, who were not allowed to call during the show, but could call in with their questions before the show. He would give these individuals quite the backstory, including names & their cities. It was all fiction. When he trotted this out on an Xmas day episode, I called to tell him I finally knew the name of the insurance company. It was the Scrooge Insurance Company. Not only did they make their employees work on this day, but even then they couldn’t call in during the show!

There’s also the sheer meanness he exhibits to his on-air sidekicks, which has led to some highly entertaining blow-ups with Ron ordering them to leave at once!

Then there’s the fascinating life Ron leads. As an adult, this 76-year old man has never lived anywhere but in a motel/hotel, & dines out (even in the midst of the pandemic) exclusively on meals comped by his restaurant sponsors. We recently learned that he works the front desk at his current, seedy digs, so his room - & likely previous rooms - is probably something he gets as his compensation. He’s probably loath to move lest he give up on access to the motel’s cable line-up which includes BuzzR TV. His shows now regularly include coverage of 1970s Match Game episodes. In addition to his obsession with Bea Arthur (“she was a man”) & fixing Rob Parker up with RuPaul."

If any of this has whetted your appetite, he can be currently heard on WDTK, Sunday evenings from 6-9. Podcasts of his shows intermittently show up on the station's website.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:27 pm

Wildbill wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:28 pm
He's fun to talk about.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:22 pm

Thanks for the "heads up" regarding the podcasts for the February 13, 2022 episode. Unfortunately the February 6th broadcast, replete with Mr. McLain's noteworthy telephone conversation has not been made available.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:41 am

ShempLives wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:22 pm
Thanks for the "heads up" regarding the podcasts for the February 13, 2022 episode. Unfortunately the February 6th broadcast, replete with Mr. McLain's noteworthy telephone conversation has not been made available.
Was the Feb. 6th show the one where Denny sounded “out of it”/hammered?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic